First successful SSTO mission to Laythe and back

TheProfessor2112

Hey all!  First off I’d like to say thank you to all the knowledgeable people on these forums as I’ve been using them to learn everything from SSTO basics to landing spots on Laythe and everything in between. Well after hundreds of hours of design testing(mostly failures, such as not enough thrust/too much drag to reach LKO, many Duna bellyflops, and a few unplanned dissasemblys ripping through Laythe’s atmosphere) I’ve finally managed to create something worth posting about.

The mission I did consisted of flying an SSTO I named Intrepid(not original but it’s the best I could think of at the time)to Laythe and back with a stop on Duna to refuel on the way, land on Laythe, refuel for the ride home, and get back in one piece. I have to say everything went smoothly except when I was close to touchdown on Duna I didn’t notice I was as close to the ground as I was, pulled up last second, and had the most Kerbal style landing I’ve ever had. The kraken were definitely taking the day off that’s all I’ll say.  You can see for yourself in the video clips at the end.  This mission was done on KSP Enhanced Edition for Xbox one so completely stock, no debug menu  

https://imgur.com/gallery/LeEKaqq

Here are links to the landing videos.

Duna Landing

Laythe Landing

Returning to KSC

Thanks! The skill didn’t come naturally though..  just LOTS of practice and testing as I’m sure most of you know. This flight was actually supposed to be just a test flight to see if the new SSTO design would make it to LKO with adequate fuel left over and since that went so well I said hey let’s see if this baby can fly to and land/take off from Duna.  Since that was successful I just kept going on to Laythe. If I had known this mission were going to be so successful I’d have taken more screenshots. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.