The collider/clipping of Engine plates...

Can someone provide the geometry of the engine plate's collider?

I notice that some parts/fuel tanks (usually 1.25m, but even 0.625m parts), if attached to the mount nodes of the plates and then moved in or out, then during launch it will begin first by spinning (if not just wobbling) before RUD.

If these parts are attached to each other without engine plates however, they can clip it to impossibility, and RUD still does not occur.

If someone can provide pointers or information about how the engine plate and items attach to it works in terms of part clipping, that would be great.

The Engine-Plate collider is a disk-shaped mesh enclosing the plate, no collider for the shroud meant to go around the engines.  You can use Collide-o-Scope to see them in-game.

But, parts of the same craft are not supposed to collide with each other at all.

I have seen a remotely similar problem with the SM-25 service module (bug report).  Parts connected to parts that are connected to the SM-25 can, under unusual circumstances, erroneously 'collide' with the SM-25, often being ejected violently.

After using the mod, my only conclusion is of following:

While there is always some collider, it is vigorously enforced for engine plate attachment nodes. So if there is ANY clipping in there, you got yourself a kraken.

Test done to reach above:

clipping a bunch of parts, such as Ion-engine: a-okay

Put the above parts under an engine plate mount: instant kraken

Edited by Jestersage

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.