VAB combining saved craft?

PS4 EE

is it possible to save various stages and then open and combine them?  In other words,

can i build a lander stage and name it lander1 and save it.  

Then, build the ascent stage and save it as ascent1.

now, open the lander1 craft and place it on top of my currently open ascent stage?

i think this is possible in the PC version but not sure if I could do this in the console version?

thanks!

Never mind!, found it!

The Triangle on the open craft screen is Merge!  

Thanks for putting up with me!

Other option is to make a subassembly. Do this by making a connector part (decoupler/docking port etc) the root part.

You can then open subassembly menu then drag and drop it into the Gray box at the bottom to save. Benefit of this , is you have more control over which part will be attached to your other stages.

Atleast that's what I do. Not sure if was just being dumb , but i personally found the merge options to be a bit tricky.

Hope this helps 

Edited by mikey117

Just trying to figure this out now...

can you offer a bit a bit more background of how you use this method?  I can see the saved craft and merge getting to be a long list.  This lets you organize and sort types of assemblies right?

wow this game has LOTS of little details!

So the way I use it is. Say you wanted a dedicated lifter. But you want to be able to change or swap out the payload etc. You can have your main craft saved as lifter.

Then start a new craft build for satellite or payload.Once you are happy with the payload(lander or Sat etc) you change the root part to the point you want to attach to lifter. Docking port /decoupled.

Now when you click that piece it picks up the whole craft. You then open subbassembly window , drag and drop craft/payload into the grey box at the bottom and save.

So now you can use this method to build multiple different satellites , landers etc all saved into subbassembly page.

You can then just load your seperately saved lifter/vessel. Open the subbassembly window then just pick payload you want and pop it straight on to the pre built rocket.

So for example I have a 15 ton capable lifter with a docking port and fairing. So I know i can then build a new vessel under 15tons test it etc then once I'm happy I can just pop it on the lifter and save as  station module 2 etc. 

So you don't have to build a new rocket for every new module or lander etc to be sent up. When ready for a new module or payload you just open previous craft remove payload add new payload from subbassembly rename and off you go.

Hope this helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.