Slingshot acceleration from alpha centauri?

farmerben

I'm not sure which equations to use to set up this problem.  I want to calculate the velocity boost on a spaceship which could manage to slingshot Alpha Centauri A and B.  Either with a .1 c flyby.  Or launching from Centauri B.  

Or for simplicity.  Solve this problem.  You fly at .1c by a sun sized star whose orthoganol velocity component is .01 c (as viewed from outside)at PE = 0.00001 ly

I've occasionally poked at analytic approximations with hyperbolae and adding vectors, but have no idea how they compare with proper numeric simulations. That said...

23 hours ago, farmerben said:

I'm not sure which equations to use to set up this problem.  I want to calculate the velocity boost on a spaceship which could manage to slingshot Alpha Centauri A and B.  Either with a .1 c flyby.  Or launching from Centauri B.  

Or for simplicity.  Solve this problem.  You fly at .1c by a sun sized star whose orthoganol velocity component is .01 c (as viewed from outside)at PE = 0.00001 ly

Approximately 0. To get speeds useful for interstellar travel, you need to do a close flyby of a close in binary system with neutron stars and/or blackholes. A 0.63 au flyby of a sunlike star will not meaningfully bend your trajectory. (And even if you skim A's photosphere, you're looking at <6 arcminutes of deviation from a straight line!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.