KSP always crashes after load

KSP: 1.7.2 Windows 64bit (with Making History/Breaking Ground DLCs enabled)

Problem: KSP always crashes after loading. (As in, when the initial loading bar fills and then it begins to transition to the main menu with the circular loading indicator in the bottom-right, it freezes momentarily and then crashes.)

Mods installed:

Previously, I only had ForScience! and KAC installed, and everything was working fine. Then, I decided that I wanted to install some graphics mods and some other basic tools (KER, BetterBurnTime, Trajectories). I've tried this in the past and always given up after twiddling with it for hours, but figured maybe you guys could help. Full modlist screenshot link below (please let me know if this is not the proper way to list mods):

https://imgur.com/a/7MmpzT4

Reproduction steps: launch ksp, wait, be sad

Logs:

Output.log (had to use google drive, too big for pastebin)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cMato5TNGDNqHY6MzYyybVyY80hy8Vv1

Please feel free to ask for additional information, I'll be at my computer for a while and I'd really like to get this working. Also somewhat relatedly, Kopernicus threw a fit during one of my loadings stating that it was incompatible with 1.7.2 & to not open any save files, so I removed it from my modlist -- but if anybody knows if it should work regardless or if there is a way to get it to work, that would also be handy!

Worst case scenario, if this can't be resolved, does anybody have a working graphic mod setup for 1.7.2? I really don't mind changing around my mods! I'd really appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kiks said:

Also somewhat relatedly, Kopernicus threw a fit during one of my loadings stating that it was incompatible with 1.7.2 & to not open any save files, so I removed it from my modlist -- but if anybody knows if it should work regardless or if there is a way to get it to work, that would also be handy!

Kopernicus is version locked and there is no update for 1.7.2 yet, so it is not supposed to work right now ;)

1 hour ago, Kiks said:

Full modlist screenshot link below (please let me know if this is not the proper way to list mods):

https://imgur.com/a/7MmpzT4

Since you already use CKAN, you can "export mods" to a text file but a screenshot is perfectly fine as well. The output_log also contains a list of your mods. (Personally, I just look at the log, it is the most reliable source^^)

Speaking of which, the log actually looks very clean...no relevant exceptions, just the crash.

You can try to remove "ModularFlightIntegrator", it is a dependency of Kopernicus. I have no idea if it does anything on it's own but it's not necessary to keep either.

What's your memory usage though? When the game crashes, it should also create an "error.log" and ask you, if you want to open it and it contains some info about the RAM usage and the crash in general, do you mind to upload it as well? I cannot remember the file location but since this issue seem to be replicable, just launch the game and click on "yes" when you are asked to open the log^^

Thanks for your help, Cheesecake! I removed ModularFlightIntegrator, but am still having this issue. Here's the error log from today:

https://pastebin.com/E9JDDEBh

EDIT: It might be good to also note that I've previously used all of these mods (and more). I recently did a clean install of KSP and played 100% vanilla for quite some time, but I missed the aesthetics of some of these mods. I know this is kinda irrelevant though, since I don't have proof/exact memory of my previous modlist, but maybe it'll help?

I'm seeing an access violation (0xc0000005) in the error log. Some quick google-fu says I need to disable DEP for the executable, but since it's 64-bit it won't let me? (I'm not super savvy here, so forgive me if this just sounds dumb). I only use Windows Defender Firewall as well, and KSP is all good there as well

Edited by Kiks
Adding additional information

The memory usage looks fine but this:

d3d9.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module d3d9.dll at 0033:b56c20bc.

looks like an directx related issue to me. I would suggest to reinstall your graphics driver and/or remove KS3P since it utilizes quite a few dx9 shaders.

52 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The memory usage looks fine but this:

d3d9.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module d3d9.dll at 0033:b56c20bc.

looks like an directx related issue to me. I would suggest to reinstall your graphics driver and/or remove KS3P since it utilizes quite a few dx9 shaders.

Thanks for your reply! I'm kind of panicking at this point. Here's the scoop..

I removed ALL mods, uninstalled my nvidia drivers and manually reinstalled from the website, uninstalled CKAN and removed all wonky files from the KSP directory, reinstalled KSP and validated the game files, and I'm still getting this error. With no mods? This is so weird, I didn't have this issue two days ago..

Here's the new error log:

https://pastebin.com/DqqKekjY

It just says the same thing it looks like.. any other thoughts?

ygZKbkk.png

Edited by Kiks
fix bad image x2

1 minute ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Well, in this case, Riva tuner was the reason:

Found a few other examples in the steam forums where MSI afterburner caused this issue. Any chance you're running some kind of over locking tool in the background?

I'm not running any sort of overclocking, just all normal stuff. I don't have MSI Afterburner installed, never heard of Riva Tuner (and can't find it when searching, to be safe), but I do have Discord, Steam and GeForce Experience overlays trying to run...

I think I read something about the FPS counter causing an issue, and mine is enabled, though I'm not sure exactly how to disable it. 

I'm reinstalling my graphics driver automatically through GeForce Experience right now, I'll let you know if that does anything. Thanks so much for your help so far!

1 minute ago, Kiks said:

I think I read something about the FPS counter causing an issue, and mine is enabled, though I'm not sure exactly how to disable it. 

It can be disabled in the overlay settings of GeForce experience. You need to open the overlay, IIRC by pressing alt + z (works on the desktop as well, you don't have to launch a game for it). 

I would love to be more precise but unfortunately I'm out of the reach of my PC for a couple more hours ;)

2 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

It can be disabled in the overlay settings of GeForce experience. You need to open the overlay, IIRC by pressing alt + z (works on the desktop as well, you don't have to launch a game for it). 

I would love to be more precise but unfortunately I'm out of the reach of my PC for a couple more hours ;)

You're fine -- I really didn't expect this level of help. I hope I'm not bugging you :confused:

It was actually Steam's FPS counter. I disabled this (and GeForce overlay... mostly because I never use the features), but it's still crashing.

Here's some hardware specs...

i7-4820K CPU no OC

2x8GB DDR3(?) ram (I'll confirm here in a sec and get brand info. Unfortunately I gave away my other RAM sticks, so I'd have to pull some strings to swap it if needed)

EVGA GTX 1080

118GB SSD boot drive (per properties menu, weird numbers I know)

465GB SSD D:/ drive that my entire Steam directory is installed to

Display is 1920x1080 @ 144hz

Please let me know if anything else can be useful to you. I swear if you figure this out I'll owe you my eternal soul

Hm...I'm actually curious what will happen, if you force ksp to use dx11 instead of dx9. This can be done by adding the '-force-d3d11' startup parameter. The wiki contains an explanation how to use it:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Startup_parameters

Keep in mind that dx11 is not officially supported but if this works, it will indicate an issue in your dx9 installation.

1 hour ago, Kiks said:

Just got back from making some homemade jerky for father's day, sorry for the delay.

I tried this. Small change - now it crashes immediately :/

In this case, I guess it's a directx issue. Un/reinstalling directx on win10 is a bit more complicated but I found a pretty good explanation in the Microsoft support forum:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/how-do-i-unistallreinstall-directx-on-windows-10/f703b4ef-74e1-434e-8fce-1e84743301a6

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

In this case, I guess it's a directx issue. Un/reinstalling directx on win10 is a bit more complicated but I found a pretty good explanation in the Microsoft support forum:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/how-do-i-unistallreinstall-directx-on-windows-10/f703b4ef-74e1-434e-8fce-1e84743301a6

Would simply reinstalling work? I downloaded those files but can't seem to figure out how exactly to use them, it just gave me a bunch of compressed folders of different months and I'm not sure what to make of that. Honestly, wiping my boot drive doesn't seem like too big of a deal, especially to make my favorite game work again...

2 hours ago, Kiks said:

Would simply reinstalling work? I downloaded those files but can't seem to figure out how exactly to use them, it just gave me a bunch of compressed folders of different months and I'm not sure what to make of that.

There is also a "DXSETUP.exe" which will reinstall directx for you and yes, reinstalling is totally fine. It's actually not even possible to uninstall it first.

2 hours ago, Kiks said:

Honestly, wiping my boot drive doesn't seem like too big of a deal, especially to make my favorite game work again...

If this is an option for you and you feel confident to do  this , sure go for it. But I would suggest to try the reinstall of directx first ;) And don't forget to reboot afterwards^^

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

On 6/16/2019 at 6:36 AM, 4x4cheesecake said:

There is also a "DXSETUP.exe" which will reinstall directx for you and yes, reinstalling is totally fine. It's actually not even possible to uninstall it first.

If this is an option for you and you feel confident to do  this , sure go for it. But I would suggest to try the reinstall of directx first ;) And don't forget to reboot afterwards^^

So I was able to run "dxwebsetup", which seemed like the closest match I downloaded from the site (unless I'm not seeing it, which could be), as well as a couple other dx .exe's that came from the DXSDK kit. They all say some variation of "DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary."

Finals are over now so I'm diving into this problem a bit deeper. I'm just going to go ahead and reinstall Windows, but I'm worried :/ I'm just going to keep posting here in hopes that we come to a solution so that when someone else has this issue they can find this thread...

EDIT:

Reinstalling Windows did work to get it to launch (DLC only, no mods), so I guess this can be closed

One last question though before I break it again by installing the mods, what graphics mods do you use and do you have any recommendations for installing them? i.e. ckan/manually, avoid x mod, get y mod? Not exactly tech support but just curious :)

Edited by Kiks

52 minutes ago, Kiks said:

Reinstalling Windows did work to get it to launch (DLC only, no mods), so I guess this can be closed

Glad to hear it's working again :)
At least, the "overkill" solution fixed it :D

53 minutes ago, Kiks said:

One last question though before I break it again by installing the mods, what graphics mods do you use and do you have any recommendations for installing them? i.e. ckan/manually, avoid x mod, get y mod? Not exactly tech support but just curious :)

I prefer to use EVE + SVE + SVT + scatterer + distant object + planet shine. These mods play nice together and it looks beautiful.
I would also recommend to use CKAN, it's a great tool and very well supported. You have to set some "old" versions to be compatible in order to install any visual mods because EVEs latest release is for 1.4 but still works fine. I wrote a tutorial about mod installation which includes a part about CKAN and how to use it properly (scroll down a bit for the CKAN part):

One little warning though: While most mods from KSP 1.4 still work fine up to KSP 1.6, there are quite a few which broke in 1.7 but CKAN will not complain about it. When in doubt, check the forum thread, it is usually linked in CKAN as well :) (Also, a separate sandbox savegame to test mods is always usefull before you actually load your real savegame ;) )

This problem is reoccurring... I was able to install your suggested mods. Then, I rolled back to 1.7.1 and installed Kopernicus for a dependency (I think it was SVT), no problem. Today, I wanted to add in Trajectories and KER. I didn't launch before adding the mods, but after doing so I'm getting the same error again.

I am big sad.

EDIT:
I uninstalled the DLC's out of curiosity and now it works. Should I report this somewhere? How do I do so?

ANOTHER EDIT SORRY JUST TRYING TO AVOID DOUBLE POSTS:
Making History is fine, it's only Breaking Ground that's breaking the game, doesn't seem to have anything to do with my modlist. I sent an email to [email protected]. If anybody else is having this issue, you can try reinstalling Windows to get it to work (temporarily, YMMV), forcing OpenGL, or uninstall Breaking Ground and just use Infernal Robotics for the time being. Big bummer :/

Edited by Kiks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.