Bug: Scanning Arms break crew transfer

I've found that adding a scanning arm interferes with transferring crew into a part. Modded or stock. Add a scanning arm to a part and you will not be able to select the part as a destination for a crew transfer. Transfers out of the part are fine.

EDIT: It appears that the Scanning Arm collider interferes with selecting a destination for crew transfers. If the arm is mounted too close to a crewable part that part cannot be selected as a destination for crew transfers. If the arm is moved far enough away then the part outside of the collider can be selected as a destination for crew transfers.

This can be a problem when there craft is relatively small relative to the arm's collider sphere. There may be no spot on a part clear of the collider that can be used to select the part as a destination for crew transfers and there's no indication either through error messages or on screen that there is a problem. The Scanner Preview can give you an idea of the effective radius of the collider, but it fades out due to obstructions while the interferance does not.

In the sample craft below transfers from the Hitchhiker to the Lander Can work always. Crew transfers from the Lander Can to the Hitchhiker only work if I select an spot towards the top of the Hitchiker clear of the arm's collider. I cannot select the Hitchhiker towards its bottom within the collider of the arm.

I've submitted this to the bug tracker as: 22908 Please upvote. The photo shows a simple craft to demonstate.

ud1sjh0.jpg

Edited by Tonka Crash
Edit: Found more info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.