Ronald L Ermey

I’m having some issue, first off I play ksp on Xbox one, I’ve got a very capable rocket, I can get into orbit, and set a node to break orbit, my problem is, when I go to reignight my engine, it says the engine is burning but it’s not actually working, here’s what I do know, I’ve tried reinstalling the game... twice, yes I have electric charge on my module so it’s not that, I’m not time warping, yes I’m using the right tanks, yes they’re in the rite place... they burn fine until I get ready to use them a second time, mainly after I warp, I also do not, nor have I ever had the ability to make my throttle selector work by the nav ball, I know it doesn’t work with SRB’s but I can’t get it to work with liquid boosters at all ether. 

Heres what I don’t know, how to fix it, and what’s causing them to not reignight. 

4 hours ago, Ronald L Ermey said:

I’m having some issue, first off I play ksp on Xbox one, I’ve got a very capable rocket, I can get into orbit, and set a node to break orbit, my problem is, when I go to reignight my engine, it says the engine is burning but it’s not actually working, here’s what I do know, I’ve tried reinstalling the game... twice, yes I have electric charge on my module so it’s not that, I’m not time warping, yes I’m using the right tanks, yes they’re in the rite place... they burn fine until I get ready to use them a second time, mainly after I warp, I also do not, nor have I ever had the ability to make my throttle selector work by the nav ball, I know it doesn’t work with SRB’s but I can’t get it to work with liquid boosters at all ether. 

Heres what I don’t know, how to fix it, and what’s causing them to not reignight. 

Do you have enough liquid fuel and oxidizer in the tanks?

If you leave sas on while fast forwarding you could potentially drain your battery before the next burn occurs. 

Screenshot and/or parts used?

Edit: Even if you don't timewarp, if you only have a battery and no actual powersource ( fuel cel, solar panels, rtg) then you'll drain your power pretty soon. 

If the fuel bar shows some fuel but your rocket still does not ignite, chances are that the fuel cannot reach your engine(s) due to your construction method. Some parts do not allow transfer of any resources at all. This is listed on the information panel of each specific part when you select it. This can be solved by adding fuel lines. 

In the upper right corner you can select the resource panel to stay active so you have an overview of all resources available. It also shows how much is gained/used for each type and may help you with further troubleshooting.

Edited by Cruss

19 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Do you have enough liquid fuel and oxidizer in the tanks?

Yes often times I get into orbit without even firing my main set liquid fuels engines. I run 6 of the large SRB’s, 2 hammers, liquid engine, flea, liquid engine with 6 medium tanks (only cause I don’t have the large ones unlocked yet) I use the second to last liquid engine and the flea for my orbit burn. Sometimes I don’t even use the last sentence. So definitely not a fuel issue. Plus I checked all the tanks 100 times.

7 hours ago, Cruss said:

If you leave sas on while fast forwarding you could potentially drain your battery before the next burn occurs. 

Screenshot and/or parts used?

Edit: Even if you don't timewarp, if you only have a battery and no actual powersource ( fuel cel, solar panels, rtg) then you'll drain your power pretty soon. 

If the fuel bar shows some fuel but your rocket still does not ignite, chances are that the fuel cannot reach your engine(s) due to your construction method. Some parts do not allow transfer of any resources at all. This is listed on the information panel of each specific part when you select it. This can be solved by adding fuel lines. 

In the upper right corner you can select the resource panel to stay active so you have an overview of all resources available. It also shows how much is gained/used for each type and may help you with further troubleshooting.

I understand what your saying, all rocket fuel pods are connected directly to other fuel pods, or engines. And thank you for the tip about the resource panel, that will help a lot. Yes my fuel bars are sometimes full, and sometimes 3/4 full, engine wont reignite. I did multiple experiments all day Sunday, I can’t duplicate it while in the atmosphere, it’s only when I’m in orbit, or preparing to do my orbit burn. 

1 hour ago, Ronald L Ermey said:

Yes often times I get into orbit without even firing my main set liquid fuels engines. I run 6 of the large SRB’s, 2 hammers, liquid engine, flea, liquid engine with 6 medium tanks (only cause I don’t have the large ones unlocked yet) I use the second to last liquid engine and the flea for my orbit burn. Sometimes I don’t even use the last sentence. So definitely not a fuel issue. Plus I checked all the tanks 100 times.

I understand what your saying, all rocket fuel pods are connected directly to other fuel pods, or engines. And thank you for the tip about the resource panel, that will help a lot. Yes my fuel bars are sometimes full, and sometimes 3/4 full, engine wont reignite. I did multiple experiments all day Sunday, I can’t duplicate it while in the atmosphere, it’s only when I’m in orbit, or preparing to do my orbit burn. 

Is the craft uncontrollable at all? Ie, you cannot pitch/roll/yaw at all?

If so, then either, you have no control signal ( lack of antenna but i suspect this is not the problem, i only tend to need antenna's when I orbit minmus but with the mun launch pad there's already slightly better signal coverage.) Or lack of power. A manned craft never needs a control signal. Heat and plasma from friction while reentering kerbal might prevent communications too but i never had problems with that.

You can verify wether you have a control signal in the top left corner.

If you used docking ports and or seperators/decouplers, fuel tends to flow from extremities first. So generally speaking the parts that you'd want to decouple first also get drained first. Some of those parts have fuel crossfeed disabled by default. The docking ports do not if I'm not mistaken.

In edge cases it may be possible that the fuel flows in the wrong direction, can be verified by enabling the fuel delivery overlay system ( by opening the settings panel of a fuel tank in the hangar). When using fuel lines it's worth nothing that those need to be adding in the right direction aswell, they have an arrow indicator that points which way fuel would travel. This should only occur on pretty advanced builds though.

None of the structural platings do allow crossfeed. Neither do the metal beams. Some of the struts do.

You can move fuel manually by holding the left or right trigger(l1/r1 on ps4) while opening the settings for two fuel tanks then you can select from which tank the fuel should come or go to. 

If you do have power, fuel, ability to control... open an engine's setting and verify if the rocket flamed out. It will tell you what it's missing if any. If the fuel bars do show fuel but the rocket gets none, then i'm 99% sure the problem lies in your method of construction.

Do you build rockets top down or bottom to top? Can make a huge difference as far as i know and it will require you to manually reorganize your stages if you build bottom to top. It's also somewhat important and related to the root system. Where the first selected part acts as a root part to all other parts.

Have you tried other rockets? Or even the stock crafts and see if any problems exist with them too. That may be the easiest to try out. 

Edit: you have to hold either l1 of r1 while using dpads to incrementally set throttle. However i kinda suspect you have a power issue. The time it takes to do a revolution around kerbin is long enough to drain some serious juice. Fuel cells need to be activated just like solar panels. Solar panels also may not be obstructed and have to bathe in sunlight in order to work at all.

Adding an extra battery and turning off sas when not needed are great ways to prevent these problems early career.

Edited by Cruss

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.