CPU Usage Random Spiking

I have quite a few mods installed.  Mostly the same ones from 1.2.2 on up to now.  However, since I upgraded to 1.7.2 from 1.6 I have been getting random spikes that max out my CPU.  It doesn't happen all the time and can take an hour or more to show up, but once it does I have to shut down KSP and reload, which is rather time consuming with the number of mods I'm using.  Normally I run around 60 - 70% CPU with Youtube running in the background, but once it spikes to 90 - 100%, YT starts studdering (usually my first indication of the issue), then KSP studders and it will stay that way until restart, even when I exit and sit on the title screen.  Anyone got any ideas before I start digging into mods?

Edit:  I noted on a fresh restart that VAB/SPH and flight are hovering around 45-50% CPU usage.  Mostly irrelevant since the key issue is this did not start happening until I went from 1.6.x to 1.7.2.

Edited by overkill13

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.