KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

7 hours ago, Alphasus said:

Don't order yet.

Too late.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  In all honesty, what you're showing me is the exact same thing I'm getting, but not factoring in the power supply, case, etc.  I'm happy to spend a bit more money to get it all on Amazon so I can get it all shipped in (mostly) one package.

7 hours ago, Alphasus said:

And if you plan to upgrade to a 970, you can likely afford a 1060 or 1070, both of which are quite a bit faster.

Yeah, I've already been convinced by @Endersmens.

2 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Too late.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  In all honesty, what you're showing me is the exact same thing I'm getting, but not factoring in the power supply, case, etc.  I'm happy to spend a bit more money to get it all on Amazon so I can get it all shipped in (mostly) one package.

The 6400 is a more modern and faster CPU... and the motherboard should be as good or better.

So, I'm planning in, finally after 6 years, upgrade my machine. I'm going from a laptop to a desktop. My build would be:

Motherboard: Asus Z170-P

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k (planning OC, but unsure)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+

Memory: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX (4x4GB)

I have two questions though:

1 - What can I expect from this build and how 'future proof' it is?

2 - I'm planning to use the Xigmatek Dark Knight II cooler, is it good?

I'll use this for KSP, Falcon BMS (F-16 simulator), general gaming (bf, FC, Witcher...), Solidworks (CAD) and ANSYS (CAE). Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Just now, VaPaL said:

So, I'm planning in, finally after 6 years, upgrade my machine. I'm going from a laptop to a desktop. My build would be:

Motherboard: Asus Z170-P

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k (planning OC, but unsure)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+

Memory: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX (4x4GB)

I have two questions though:

1 - What can I expect from this build and how 'future proof' it is?

2 - I'm planning to use the Xigmatek Dark Knight II cooler, is it good?

I'll use this for KSP, Falcon BMS (F-16 simulator), general gaming (bf, FC, Witcher...), Solidworks (CAD) and ANSYS (CAE). Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Future-proof...

Nothing is future proof. Might want to swap that GPU for a 1060 though, and go with a 2x8 GB RAM. That way you have extra slots. A build can only be somewhat future proof if it has an upgrade path. The RAM would help with that, and since the GPU is faster, it can last longer.

1 minute ago, Alphasus said:

The 6400 is a more modern and faster CPU... and the motherboard should be as good or better.

In all honesty, that's fine.  My friend built basically the exact same thing I am, and I'm happy with how his preforms.  Also, my final price is ~$575 but that includes all said above along with a new mouse, mouse pad, cables, etc.  I'm quite happy with the price, especially considering what I would get for the same price if I decided to order a new Mac.  I still plan to have my Macs as my main computers, but I decided that if I was to get a new PC, I'd build a good one. :wink: 

Just now, CliftonM said:

In all honesty, that's fine.  My friend built basically the exact same thing I am, and I'm happy with how his preforms.  Also, my final price is ~$575 but that includes all said above along with a new mouse, mouse pad, cables, etc.  I'm quite happy with the price, especially considering what I would get for the same price if I decided to order a new Mac.  I still plan to have my Macs as my main computers, but I decided that if I was to get a new PC, I'd build a good one. :wink: 

Same with me on the Macs. I prefer their laptops, but a custom anything will always do better.

@Alphasus Finding the 1060 here it's been kind of hard, importing it will be too expensive :( 

As for 2x8GB versus 4X4GB RAM, what's the difference? Is one much better than the other? The shop where I'm buying only have the 4x4GB option, but if 2x8 GB is way better, I may look else where. It's kind hard find this things for a good price here in Brazil ;.;

Also, as for the cooler, is it good?

since my post was at the end of the page I'd rather think it was unintentionally overlooked than maliciously ignored. hence le bump:

Spoiler

since I'm on a very tight budget it's been way too long that I crawl along with my:

AMD Phenom x3 8400 2.1GHz on MSI K9N6PGM2-v2 with 2x 2GB DDR2, featuring a radeon HD 6450.

there, it's out. come back to me once you regained your breath and stopped laughing...

As mentioned my budget is between very tight and non-existent. I fear once I saved more than 600 bucks to invest in proper up to date hardware intel has a i7 9xxx series that supports QDR-ram... thus I'm thinking about gradually investing in older hardware to get the most out of my existing MB. what I'm actually looking at:

AMD Phenom II x6 1055t (6x 2.8GHz @ 95W) $ 77.- € 70,-
2x 4GB DDR2-800 $ 20.- € 19,-
GTS 450 2GB DDR5 (2nd step investment) $ 75.- € 68,-

excl. graphics:  

(total   

$ 97.-

$ 172.-

€ 89,-

€ 157,-)

what do you guys think? for internet stuff, mid-oldish games and ksp, gimping and SketchUpping, should I rather go for a current low-end solution like Intel Pentium G4400 on MSI H110M board with 2x 8GB DDR4-2133 for around € 185,-? would that make me happier?! It would consume way less power, that's for sure....

would really appreciate another perspective on that...

14 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

@Alphasus Finding the 1060 here it's been kind of hard, importing it will be too expensive :( 

As for 2x8GB versus 4X4GB RAM, what's the difference? Is one much better than the other? The shop where I'm buying only have the 4x4GB option, but if 2x8 GB is way better, I may look else where. It's kind hard find this things for a good price here in Brazil ;.;

Also, as for the cooler, is it good?

2x8GB will give the option to add two more sticks down the road if you become RAM-limited. 4x4GB means all the slots are filled, you'll have to discard some to add more. Two sticks is the play if you want future proofing in the way of upgradeability, and the cost difference should be negligible.

The cooler looks like a regular heat pipe tower cooler. It should be fine, but don't pay too much for it. The high priced ones only beat the cheaper ones by a few percentage points in most cases, so go with a basic one as large as your case will fit.

@MircoMars I would suggest a low-end, more up to date solution, it seems better. But my knowledge in hardware is somewhat limited.

@Red Iron Crown Oh I see, I will look for 2x8GB. 4X4GB will be throwing money away in the long run since used hardware loose a lot of value. This cooler is not the cheapest, but it's not expensive, only some dollars more, so I may keep it. Do you think the build will fit my needs?

Edited by VaPaL

11 minutes ago, MircoMars said:

since my post was at the end of the page I'd rather think it was unintentionally overlooked than maliciously ignored. hence le bump:

Reveal hidden contents

since I'm on a very tight budget it's been way too long that I crawl along with my:

AMD Phenom x3 8400 2.1GHz on MSI K9N6PGM2-v2 with 2x 2GB DDR2, featuring a radeon HD 6450.

there, it's out. come back to me once you regained your breath and stopped laughing...

As mentioned my budget is between very tight and non-existent. I fear once I saved more than 600 bucks to invest in proper up to date hardware intel has a i7 9xxx series that supports QDR-ram... thus I'm thinking about gradually investing in older hardware to get the most out of my existing MB. what I'm actually looking at:

AMD Phenom II x6 1055t (6x 2.8GHz @ 95W) $ 77.- € 70,-
2x 4GB DDR2-800 $ 20.- € 19,-
GTS 450 2GB DDR5 (2nd step investment) $ 75.- € 68,-

excl. graphics:  

(total   

$ 97.-

$ 172.-

€ 89,-

€ 157,-)

what do you guys think? for internet stuff, mid-oldish games and ksp, gimping and SketchUpping, should I rather go for a current low-end solution like Intel Pentium G4400 on MSI H110M board with 2x 8GB DDR4-2133 for around € 185,-? would that make me happier?! It would consume way less power, that's for sure....

would really appreciate another perspective on that...

My advice (which you might not like) would be: Keep saving. Don't put good money into bad hardware. The price for a decent gaming appropriate machine has been pretty steady for a while, wait until you have accumulated enough to get something good in one go rather than nickel and diming yourself.

28 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

AFAIK you need at least 2 ram modules to make your ram dual channel (i.e. faster access times if only half your ram is needed). whether you use 2x8GB or 4x4GB doesn't matter unless you want to be able to upgrade to 4x8GB in the future without buying all new modules. all assuming your board has 4 slots. hope I helped

ninja'd ... :(

Edited by MircoMars

7 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

Oh I see, I will look for 2x8GB. 4X4GB will be throwing money away in the long run since used hardware loose a lot of value. This cooler is not the cheapest, but it's not expensive, only some dollars more, so I may keep it. Do you think the build will fit my needs?

It looks pretty solid if you can't get a 1060 there. You might consider an AMD RX480-based GPU, they offer good performance-per-dollar as well (I like nVidia better but that's just personal bias).

3 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Don't put good money into bad hardware.

that's what I thought about investing in some current budget hardware. On paper it looks like putting the money in older high-endish parts brings me more.

20 hours ago, Jeb-head-mug kerman said:

Hello Fellow kerbonauts! I have a big question i want to ask the KSP community, you see i am thinking on buying a new 

computer. Right now i am using a MacBook Air and its not good for gaming (& and for designing my own games) so i am

planing to buy a ASUS something... i don't now if they are really good for gaming but i think they are, but i am mostly asking the Squad Staff about this because you need a good comp to design a game like that. Do you have and suggestions? Please tell me soon.

"ASUS something" tells me nothing. All companies make all sorts of computers. To get informed advice we're going to need to know what your requirements and your budget are. In particular I'd say think about whether you need a second laptop, or whether a desktop would be suitable since you already have the Macbook.

2 hours ago, MircoMars said:

AFAIK you need at least 2 ram modules to make your ram dual channel (i.e. faster access times if only half your ram is needed). whether you use 2x8GB or 4x4GB doesn't matter unless you want to be able to upgrade to 4x8GB in the future without buying all new modules. all assuming your board has 4 slots. hope I helped

ninja'd ... :(

It is a bit academic, but two RAM modules are to be preferred over four if the system is not quad channel. The reason is that extra RAM loads the memory controller more, theoretically making the system more prone to problems. The practical implication is that fully loaded systems sometimes overclock a bit less well than systems with less RAM. Under stock conditions, no discernible difference should be present, though on rare occasions, already troublesome RAM might be pushed over the edge. That is not likely though, you really won the bad luck lottery if that happens.

4 hours ago, Alphasus said:

A 6% increase amplifies 105% on the 480 to 112%, and a 9% bump increases it to 116% over the 480, validating(in a very very very twisted way) their 15% faster claim.

Well, the AMD cards can be overclocked, too, although i would recommend a decent powersupply for that and a better cooler. Also dont forget that modern cards are usualy limited by their power limit, so if it cant be increased a lot the higher clocks wont be reached. For now there isnt much information about that since reviews of custom cards are so rare/nonexistent.

2 hours ago, Elthy said:

Well, the AMD cards can be overclocked, too, although i would recommend a decent powersupply for that and a better cooler. Also dont forget that modern cards are usualy limited by their power limit, so if it cant be increased a lot the higher clocks wont be reached. For now there isnt much information about that since reviews of custom cards are so rare/nonexistent.

Yeah, but the pin connections limit the 1060 to 225 W(it also has better thermals so it can overclock better on water, which I'm sure will exist. If not, a 1060 on custom water will be a beastly overclocker), and it uses 120W. The RX 480 has 1 6 pin, so 150W, and it uses around 130W or so(bit low estimate, likely closer to 135W, and most board partners say 150W). Even if you limit a 1060 to 150W, it should, according to power constraints, outperform an RX 480 brought to the same wattage. Also, almost anyone who has overclocked a 1060 can bring it to 2 GHZ for about a 7% increase(which should also cancel out the driver upgrades over the life of the 480).

That was all sourced from MSI, who have both RX 480s and GTX 1060s. I used those power connectors as guidelines. Otherwise, the 1060 still overclocks better because it uses less power, and has the same available wattage.

Edited by Alphasus

@Red Iron Crown The RAM option I found in the same dealer is, instead of 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz go for 2x8GB Kingston HyperX 2133MHz. Should I change? Keep in mind that OC is an option. Thanks!

EDIT: the Corsair option is R$629,00 and the Kingstion is R$289,00. Under half the price

Edited by VaPaL

Another think that came to my mind today, should I invest in a UPS system?

The PSU I've choosen is a Corsair CS550M, it's a little over the 400W that I will need (calculated using some only tools) and the 500W recomended by EVGA, but it leaves some room for future improvement. The MoBo is a ASUS Z170-P, ASUS says it has overvoltage protection, but I don't know how much this changes anything.

Anyway, the power where I leave is somewhat stable, but it goes down once a month or two. But I've been through cases were it went down some time in a single day.

Edited by VaPaL