Highest altitude on launch escape systems.

Manned, unmanned? Max nr of LES to use? Vertical or horizontal launch? Does the craft have to remain undamaged?

Asymmetric thrust is easily solved by placing them in mirror or radial symmetry. After that, without any further restriction, its all going to be about the nr of LES used, which practically means whatever your computer will allow before a Kraken spasm attack.

Spoiler

J1vaTMq.png

xu81OV3.png

A first entry at 3983m.

7 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Manned, unmanned? Max nr of LES to use? Vertical or horizontal launch? Does the craft have to remain undamaged?

Asymmetric thrust is easily solved by placing them in mirror or radial symmetry. After that, without any further restriction, its all going to be about the nr of LES used, which practically means whatever your computer will allow before a Kraken spasm attack.

Hide contents

J1vaTMq.png

xu81OV3.png

A first entry at 3983m.

Not bad! 

Vertical horizontal it doesn't matter. Whatever you like. The only real rule is that you don't use the debug menu to cheat. Any other exploits etc are allowed as long as you don't use any of them to power the craft.

Edited by Flying dutchman

1 hour ago, Aetharan said:

Did somebody call for a ridiculous number of engines being used for something completely outside of their designed purpose?  That's one of my specialties!  I present Krakenbait!  This beauty pushed Jeb up to 23,234 meters above sea level, and set him down gently on the runway!

Sir you have blown my mind.

37 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

It seems like the biggest thing preventing me from just making exponentially bigger stages is that they shake apart.

Once you get past that, either through design (to a point, auto-strutting to grandparent has helped me) or the use of a mod (Kerbal Joint Reinforcement helps), the next problems will be how much RAM you have available for the game to fill up, and your tolerance for seconds-per-frame gameplay in early stages of the launch.

15 minutes ago, Aetharan said:

Once you get past that, either through design (to a point, auto-strutting to grandparent has helped me) or the use of a mod (Kerbal Joint Reinforcement helps), the next problems will be how much RAM you have available for the game to fill up, and your tolerance for seconds-per-frame gameplay in early stages of the launch.

Yeah I was doing some math on what it would take to get to orbit and the answer is basically "lol no."

Edited by Pds314

2 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

Yeah I was doing some math on what it would take to get to orbit and the answer is basically "lol no."

Considering it would take a little over twice the delta-v of my last launch, plus the ability to actually steer at some point?  I'd tend to agree.

5 minutes ago, Aetharan said:

Considering it would take a little over twice the delta-v of my last launch, plus the ability to actually steer at some point?  I'd tend to agree.

Some >30000 part monstrosity weighing >20 kilotons might just reach orbit. And bring literally ANY machine down to many minutes per frame.

Edited by Pds314

Hmmmmmm.... I wonder the viability of LES-powered helicopters? Breaking Ground prop blades can violate conservation of energy unlike normal wing parts. While lift-powered infinite free energy turbines are obviously not allowed in this challenge, LES-powered overunity turbines might be. The idea is that for the first few stages you might be able to get much higher altitude then normal, up to about the limits of helicopter flight. And then start your rocket there.

Edited by Pds314

8 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Hmmmmmm.... I wonder the viability of LES-powered helicopters? Breaking Ground prop blades can violate conservation of energy unlike normal wing parts. While lift-powered infinite free energy turbines are obviously not allowed in this challenge, LES-powered overunity turbines might be. The idea is that for the first few stages you might be able to get much higher altitude then normal, up to about the limits of helicopter flight. And then start your rocket there.

Well, thats how i got to orbit on only nuclear engines. No dlc though.

Edited by Flying dutchman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.