Share your epic missions and adventures.

JackAz

I recently did a 4 mission interplanetary mock-up series.

1st mission I put a lander on trajectory for where Duna will be in 0.17

2nd mission I did a lander transfer to Minmus from the Mun

3rd mission I Sent a lander to orbit, landed on Kerbin then orbited again

4th mission rendezvoused with the 3rd mission, deorbited, orbited again, and then landed

In total I got Jeb to do 3 orbits and 3 deorbits without returning to the space center. Hows that for a cool story bro?

That nightclub is totally epic.

Were you landing that behemoth of the crew bus on the Mün by hand? How were you manoeuvering it so smoothly? I have terrible trouble landing on the Mün, cancelling out the residual lateral velocity, and have never dared try a targeted landing yet...

I'm also interested to see you using the nostril engines. I always thought they were too weak and heavy to be useful.

yeah I nearly always land manually, it's more fun! The footage was sped up which smooths it some. I use thrusters to control the last bit of Hvel. From a 20k orbit I reduce Hvel to about 100m/s with the main engines in a retrograde burn and then level out at about 15k. From then on all control is with thrusters, in this case heavy port thrusters, the engines just cushion it a bit but don't need to be very powerful. The key with landing in this way is to level out perfectly otherwise down thrust introduces more Hvel. Then you can use the thrusters to deal with one lateral axis at a time using translation keys [i,j,k,l]. This way you're not trying to get level just before touch down and your lateral and vertical velocities are independent of each other. Also, when you're landing don't look at the rocket, look at the nav-ball!

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.