How to make wings as body structures of planes?

One day, I was browsing KerbalX for learning experience from others' masterpieces, and I found this:

https://kerbalx.com/Skyshrim/VX-4-Swiftlet

5RNyFTV.jpg

Advantages of that aircraft considered by me has been submitted as a comment, the most interesting part is the wings-for-structure design, which reduces weight and increase lift, that is really a one-shot-double-kill, when I try to replicate this design on my own craft, I found it hard to balance the torque, cuz the major part of wings-for-structure is behind the CoM, and additional wings cause too much stabilizing torque and thus do harm to its maneuverability.

I haven't decide to give up this design, I am thinking about a way to make CoM almost overlapping CoL and using wings-for-structure in the mean time.

Any guy have ideas? I'd really appreciate it if you could give some practical solution to meet both needs.:lol:

Edited by Scrooge

2 hours ago, AHHans said:

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I don't understand what your actual question is. :/

:unsure:Err...my bad...sorry

1. I've seen a plane in KerbalX which has wings as its body structure (while my previous crafts have barrel-like MK1 inline parts as their body structures)

2. This design has 2 major advantages compared to MK1 body structures as far as I concerned:

2.1. Reduce the weight of the aircraft.

2.2. Increase the total lift on the aircraft

3. However, since available positions for those wings are mostly behind the CoM, which cause too much lift behind the CoM, and thus aircraft become too stable to be steered.

4. My question is:

How to utilize wings as the body of aircraft and reduce total torque of lift in the mean time?

Edited by Scrooge

34 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

However, since available positions for those wings are mostly behind the CoM

Errr... Why should that be the case? What keeps you from moving lift further forward or weight further backward? E.g. by adding more lift to the front of the plane or weight to the aft of the plane? In the craft from the picture e.g. you could move the structure with the air intakes/tail-part/control-fins further back.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:58 PM, AHHans said:

Errr... Why should that be the case? What keeps you from moving lift further forward or weight further backward? E.g. by adding more lift to the front of the plane or weight to the aft of the plane? In the craft from the picture e.g. you could move the structure with the air intakes/tail-part/control-fins further back.

Yes, you are right, and I tried to adjust the level by adding weight to the tail (wings are too forward already):

1016F529C84F152E8ADCEC27BE9E0479B2C840F9

35D958B5AAB3A7556DFDA83FEF9FF796764CB0C2

and I made this VTOL aircraft with small area of central wings, and too much additional weight for balancing torque makes aircraft heavier than expectation, I suddenly came up with a hypothesis: maybe the weight of VTOL engine made CoM too forward, so I remove the VTOL parts and rebuild a aircraft with only central wings, and here is the result:

668EC86ADE97EAB594B8BD41278577C7AEA1B163

24061B70D7A2BFAF5006404A49739880085F8BD8

...since the CoM cause by engines, fueltanks and air-intakes are moved backward, the CoL could be easy to set with a large area of central wings behind the pod.

It's not that KSP is an accurate flight simulator but basic principles still apply. I found with the Planes that CoM and CoL never should be far apart, but not in the same spot either (too snappy). The two indicators are incredible helpful during the building phase... &)

Extra tip: CoT should never be far off the centerline. If the engines are sitting high the plane will constantly push down. That's why I mostly use symmetrical layouts.

And as always with KSP: you can attach anything to anything. That's the fun part. The hard part is structural integrity and making that pile of parts work... :lol:

42C591EA3B731ADF03EC4916970DB65E9DAD63D0

72A79F228D72137D5FB884CD7668C07E4374DF38

594BBA0A543DABF80E3D9A9DBC6A5E7CE3F0EE15

4490D8D82951E67CC158E33CD92906AA1B7C8B60

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.