Parts no clipping through each other

Hi so i'm trying to make a winch with a chain attached to it but the chain just no clips through the entire structure like here 

The 'circle' part of it is the root part and isnt made from mirrored parts which I thought was the problem,and the chain is connected to the root part as shown, so i'm pretty clueless now as to where i'm going wrong

https://imgur.com/SI4JNIG

https://imgur.com/RrZBqv0

Edited by Louis93

I don't typically create things like that but...

Possibly, the "Same Vessel Interaction" setting needs to be set to ON for all the parts to help with collision detection?

Maybe as a test, just try turning it on for a few parts in the wheel and see if it makes any difference.

11 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

I don't typically create things like that but...

Possibly, the "Same Vessel Interaction" setting needs to be set to ON for all the parts to help with collision detection?

Maybe as a test, just try turning it on for a few parts in the wheel and see if it makes any difference.

Yeah this fixed my problem thank you, in all my time playing KSP I had never even noticed that button before lol 

8 minutes ago, Louis93 said:

Yeah this fixed my problem thank you, in all my time playing KSP I had never even noticed that button before lol 

It came to light for me while creating craft and stations with robotics that allow me to manually load/unload various equipment in my craft. 

I had to enable the settings so the parts would not clip through cargo bays as I was loading and unloading...  and to prevent explosive results if detaching such parts while they might accidentally be clipped through something.  Works pretty well in most instances; beware ever turning it on for the Claw though.  It converts that part into a tool of pure destructive evil!  LOL

5 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

It came to light for me while creating craft and stations with robotics that allow me to manually load/unload various equipment in my craft. 

I had to enable the settings so the parts would not clip through cargo bays as I was loading and unloading...  and to prevent explosive results if detaching such parts while they might accidentally be clipped through something.  Works pretty well in most instances; beware ever turning it on for the Claw though.  It converts that part into a tool of pure destructive evil!  LOL

Now that sounds like fun, i'll be testing that out shortly lol

42 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

One reason you might never have noticed "same craft interaction" before is that it was just added in version 1.7 or 1.8 (it surely does not exist in 1.6.1, and does in 1.8.1, but I haven't installed 1.7.3).

I think it came about with the intro of Robotics and the BG expansion... self-docking and so forth.  But it's also been HUGE for me in terms of creating vehicles and stations that can load/unload supplies.  It makes collision detection work when applied to cargo bays and so forth!  That was a big improvement over anything we had pre-BG.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.