How to Stop Time

No unfortunately, this is meant to be realistic so I doubt slow-mo will ever be in the game.

And yet we have time compression.

This was something I suggested some time ago, an interactive pause function so you can pause the game and still be able to look around with the camera, without having a menu display on the screen.

Realistically all missions would be planned weeks or months beforehand. In KSP what usually happens is the following:

Build rocket

Put rocket on launchpad

Press spacebar

"OH MAH GAWD IT DIDN'T EXPLODE NOW WHAT!"

Figure out that you should turn the SAS on and fly upwards

Complete gravity turn

"OH MAH GAWD IT ACUALLY MADE ORBIT WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE"

Mess up TMI burn

Correct TMI burn

Enter Mun's SOI

Run out of fuel

Enter Kerbol orbit

Phone home for a rescue ship

Therefore, I argue that adding pause/slow motion just makes up for the planning that realistically would have happened beforehand :)

Realistically all missions would be planned weeks or months beforehand. In KSP what usually happens is the following:

Build rocket

Put rocket on launchpad

Press spacebar

"OH MAH GAWD IT DIDN'T EXPLODE NOW WHAT!"

Figure out that you should turn the SAS on and fly upwards

Complete gravity turn

"OH MAH GAWD IT ACUALLY MADE ORBIT WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE"

Mess up TMI burn

Correct TMI burn

Enter Mun's SOI

Run out of fuel

Enter Kerbol orbit

Phone home for a rescue ship

Therefore, I argue that adding pause/slow motion just makes up for the planning that realistically would have happened beforehand :)

I would sig that, but it's too long to sig.

Which brings up a menu that gets in the way of the screen and freezes the camera. The idea is that you have a pause that does none of the things that ESC does besides stop time.

Why does that matter? It allows for screenshot bundles like this.

That's the entire mission field turned into screenshots five seconds after the timer began.

Obviously, this is impossible to do if the camera is frozen.

Edited by Spoot Knight

back onto the original (and still unsettled) matter - you cannot "stop time"... there's no active pause feature or slower-than-one warp rates...

BUT - if you must plan ahead or figure out what to do before screwing anything up you can still use the quicksave feature (F5 by default) and quickload it if/when your plans go awry (F9 default)

it's not an active pause, but being able to revert to a previous position does solve the "what to next, gotta think fast" problem to a reasonable extent

cheers!

Which brings up a menu that gets in the way of the screen and freezes the camera. The idea is that you have a pause that does none of the things that ESC does besides stop time.

Why does that matter? It allows for screenshot bundles like this.

That's the entire mission field turned into screenshots five seconds after the timer began.

Obviously, this is impossible to do if the camera is frozen.

Actually pressing F2 would remove all the menus, including the pause menu. The camera doesn't move though.