Soviet Air Force roundel

I'm attempting to use Inkscape to convert this .svg.png:

630px-Roundel_of_the_Soviet_Union_(1945%E2%80%931991).svg.png

to a PNG file acceptable to KSP as a flag.  I think I need something like 256 x 160 pix.  I get this:

rFCGyGv.png

which exhibits some stretching in the width axis.

I've tried to set the Page (Canvas) size in Inkscape (my first time using it) but not convincing it to do what *I* want.  I'm running on Linux Mint.

Advice?  (And, no, no luck with the online converters...)

Would this work, Comrade?

Tpibbap.png

edit: this would make a pretty cool badge too although maybe tone down the colours a bit, they're a tad garish in this version

239px-Interkosmos.svg.png

Edited by Guest

Getting close!  I got one made with Gimp with the same number of pixels as yours and half the res for some reason.  (I'm betting you used Gimp then...?)  But now I'm fighting some KSP caching...

I will confirm the Revolution has succeeded in just a few more moments.

I have access to a Mac so I just used Preview. I created a transparent canvas with the dimensions I wanted, then pasted the SVG into it, then scaled and exported to PNG. I think the more or less the same technique ought to work in pretty much anything.

Here's an Interkosmos one with slightly toned-down colours, a transparent background, and the same pixel dimensions:

N2GPa93.png

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I have access to a Mac so I just used Preview.

Yours works, Comrade!  Congratulations and Спасибо...  It is being used on a MiG-15, so it more or less has to be the Red Star.  (I'll put the other on file, though!)

(You knew that Mac users live an average 12-15 years longer than the rest of us...?)

Edited by Hotel26

Just now, Hotel26 said:

(You knew that Mac users live an average 12-15 years longer than the rest of us...?)

I'm a poly-OS-abuser. Linux, Windows, and Mac in front of my nose RN.

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

I've tried to set the Page (Canvas) size in Inkscape (my first time using it) but not convincing it to do what *I* want.

Well, setting the canvas size correctly is the first step. But when you do "Export PNG Image" in inkscape then the default is to only export either the selected object(s) or the square that contains all objects (if none are selected), but not the full canvas. If you change the selection in the export window to "Page" then it will include the full canvas - and only the canvas, i.e. cropping parts outside the canvas - into the exported image.

Edited by AHHans

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.