Pilots lost experience

I worked on KSP 1.9.1 last night and no issues. Today I got on and discovered all but one of my level three pilots are now Level zeros. I did upgrade from from 1.8.1 to 1.8.1 a couple of day ago. I got into the un-modded section. I do have two mods loaded DPAI and the Kerbal Clock but these have been runing for at least a month with no issues.

What could have happened? ABNd can I fix it?

Edited by jbdenney
spelling and added one sentence

First thing - the game keeps backup saves, so you could check them out to start with and see if they are ok.  They are located in a subfolder of the save folder labelled "Backup"  and will have several files "Persistent (date).sfs" which are your dated backup saves. 

If that doesn't help, you can manually edit the "persistent.sfs" file (MAKE A BACK UP FIRST!!!!!) to set their experience back to where it should be.  Open in a text editor and search for the pilots' names (one at a time).     I think experience is calculated based on their career log - which is a list of every flight they've been on and what major events occurred (orbited a body, EVA'd, planted flag, etc), will look something like:

CAREER_LOG

{

flight = 74

1 = flight, Kerbin

1= land, Kerbin

1= recover

2 = flight, kerbin

2 = suborbit, kerbin

2 = orbit, kerbin

2 = land, Kerbin

2 = recover

etc

AFAIK, the game uses these events to calculate the experience.   It could be as simple as something glitched in the transfer to 1.9 and it could be corrected.  Alternately, there is a line in the kerbal's file "extraXP = 0" you could always just edit that, but then they might get more levels doing stuff they've already done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.