Single-Launch Office Building to Minmus: SPACESCRAPER 0

"Jeb, it's not a skyscraper if you build it somewhere without an atmosphere."

"...A spacescraper, it shall be!"

rLBLyaK.png

The SPACESCRAPER 0 is a fully stock tower. It has office space for 1,540 Kerbals, and can be flown to Minmus and landed in a single go. The launcher can place the tower on a suborbital trajectory, where the tower's 28 Nervas are used to go the rest of the way. Once in space, attitude is controlled via 16 Vernor engines instead of SAS modules due to the insane mass. There's also a small landing pad in between the upper and lower halves of the building to accommodate visiting landers. 

If you'd like to give it a go (even if just to fly it into the VAB, which I highly recommend), the craft file is here: https://kerbalx.com/Jamie_Logan/SPACESCRAPER-0

The fuel for the launch stage comes in part from the tanks in the booster itself, and part from the mk3 tanks in the tower in between the crew cabins. Upon burnout of the launch stage, you should have only a sliver of oxidizer left, along with enough liquid fuel to power the Nervas to a Minmus landing. The remaining oxidizer is due to the two 2.25 meter tanks at the base of the tower. This is the fuel that will be used for on-orbit attitude changes via the vernor thrusters, so both have fuel flow disabled at launch to prevent their fuel from being immediately used up by the main engines. Don't forget to re-enable fuel flow on them after booster separation so you can achieve attitude control. 

While on orbit, it is not recommended that you use SAS until you make your final landing approach. RCS+SAS for attitude stability and control will gladly eat up all your RCS fuel in a jiffy, so attitude adjustments are best made using small manual RCS bursts along with 4x physics warp to save time while rotating (don't worry, the tower is autostrutted to the max). SAS is generally not necessary during burns, as the huge moment of inertia of the tower should keep its attitude more or less consistent during the burn, especially when performing a burn directly out of a standard time warp.

Gallery:

ADZUFn5.pnglSD62oV.png1udzOMd.png2hv967d.pngS0zA7QC.pngiUsapgl.pngjDSZyaj.pngePySkyK.pngGIxygvK.pngfehS3nU.pngTjMTUQf.png6kMQOa5.pngJlHTzcC.pngWoLmPbn.pngAOZYCiZ.png3Bz2M1u.pngBBw4xNS.png9tO7HMJ.pngaJtIsjP.png0bDeYNA.pngA87OuYp.pngR3Aw3k3.pngDtdjjtj.png0axRWNg.pngjkHCJdH.pngKs6FdNw.pngrXEp0M0.pngXuBCW7u.png11B8aIt.pngg8Hirng.pngGkHAUJM.pngccHSqrE.pngJgPRnx1.pngFkOEauf.pngzcrgBIa.png

I really hope you liked it!

Also, check out my last post:

SnmKf4Y.png

Edited by Jamie Logan

6 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

My PC just crashed at the thought of trying to load that behemoth onto the launch pad... :confused:

Utterly mad and gloriously pointless, and all the better for it!

It might not be as bad as you think. I run KSP with visual mods on a Dell laptop and this ship isn't so bad, even with 428 parts at launch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.