Stock Career mode with RSS

Do you think stock career mode is way too easy?

Do you want getting to orbit to be oppressively difficult?

Do you want to faint from G forces and slam into the ground because you didn't open your parachute reentering in a sounding rocket?

Do you want all the aerial surveys you conduct to be clustered around a small area in Siberia for no explicable reason?

Do you feel like two stages to orbit isn't enough?

Do you want most of Tibet to be in the stratosphere?

Have you tried RP-1 but thought "ok this is cool but everything should be made of solid lead."?

Then try the stock career mode but in Real Solar System! FAR is optional. Speaking of FAR, How far will you get? Will you be able to afford boosters? Will you run out of science? Will you ever reach orbit? Will you reach the moon before the decade is out? Will your Kerbals be willing to come back from the moon after what you've put them through? Find out the answer to these questions and more by starting a new stock career mode game in Real Solar System!

Edited by Pds314

16 hours ago, bayesian_acolyte said:

I finished a stock RSS career about 6 weeks ago with the added restriction of no contracts:

Whoa some of those missions are really impressive.

Considering stock parts+FAR, is the mod decoupler shroud allowed for better aerodynamic shapes without interstate fairings? I wanted to avoid using heavy engine plates (or, engine plates which are not allowed in stock parts) which I have to carry with the whole stage. Like when I want to put a terrier under a size 2 tank.

Well, it’s gonna be hard but I think we don’t need much of aviation. Spaceplanes are almost impossible to reach orbit with much DV to spare, without ion engines.

Also, is it allowed to drive, or use jets or home-made helicopters to carry entire rockets to the Everest and launch there? It could save as much as 1.2 km/s of DV.

If I wish to land on Mars, stock chutes can simply not deploy. It’ll be hard without realchutes, but we will try our best to slow down without chutes, which ESA failed to deploy in their Mars20202022.

(Just asking, I haven’t started yet. Perhaps a month later and I will re-enter this thread, and lose consciousness due to excessive G-forces.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 8:19 AM, AllenLi said:

Considering stock parts+FAR, is the mod decoupler shroud allowed for better aerodynamic shapes without interstate fairings? I wanted to avoid using heavy engine plates (or, engine plates which are not allowed in stock parts) which I have to carry with the whole stage. Like when I want to put a terrier under a size 2 tank.

Well, it’s gonna be hard but I think we don’t need much of aviation. Spaceplanes are almost impossible to reach orbit with much DV to spare, without ion engines.

Also, is it allowed to drive, or use jets or home-made helicopters to carry entire rockets to the Everest and launch there? It could save as much as 1.2 km/s of DV.

If I wish to land on Mars, stock chutes can simply not deploy. It’ll be hard without realchutes, but we will try our best to slow down without chutes, which ESA failed to deploy in their Mars20202022.

(Just asking, I haven’t started yet. Perhaps a month later and I will re-enter this thread, and lose consciousness due to excessive G-forces.)

Legit I've found that's a problem with early "crewed sounding rocket" type missions. Losing consciousness and not being able to awaken with G limits on.

As for mods, the intent was not to have them besides FAR. But if you want to use that mod I won't stop you. Then again, if tou are using parts mods, I question why not RSS.

As for trying to fly whole rockets to Everest... oof. I dunno if that's a great idea. Everest is like almost 18 kilometers tall for some reason, pretty steep, and nowhere near a launch site. It's not that bad of a trip with a supersonic plane, but you definitely wouldn't want to fly a helicopter there. Let alone with a rocket onboard somehow. Wouldn't you be better off just doing air launch to orbit from a supersonic jet?

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.