Deployed Science Solar Panel Power at Other Planets?

I am about to take the Breaking Ground deployed science parts interplanetary for the first time.  And I'm wondering about power requirements.

I would rather use the cheaper solar array (OX-Stat-PD) rather than the RTG, but it's not clear to me how many I should bring.  IF that game mechanic was designed properly (and I'm not sure how big an "if" that is!), the power provided should change with distance from the sun.  I'd expect to have to set up roughly twice as many solar array 'units' at Duna as at Mun (for instance), and if I were setting up deployed science out at Eeloo, I'd have no real option other than an RTG.

BUT...I've seen nothing indicating that this is the case.  Everything I've seen in writing implies that the ONLY variables affecting the power output by the Breaking Ground deployed-science solar array are 1) Engineer level of the kerbal who deployed it, and 2) whether there's direct line of sight to the sun.

Can anybody verify one way or the other?  (It's one thing to experiment with it myself on the Mun, and send out a repair mission if I got it wrong the first time.  It's a much bigger deal to discover I need to send additional parts to Duna...)

Edited by Srpadget
added formal part name

Well.... The one thing I can confirm is that the solar panels do not generate more or less power on Eve or Duna (or Gilly and Ike). I haven't tried them at Dres or Jool because when I got that far I had plenty of funds and just used the RTGs.

P.S. A much bigger issue is the issue discussed here:

Edited by AHHans

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.