Game won't launch

First of all, thank you in advance for your help. A couple of days ago while I was playing ksp I got a frown face blue screen on my computer, so I had to restart it. Once it had restarted I tried to launch the game and for a couple of seconds I would see this dialogue https://imgur.com/a/MfSbFJq and the game wouldn't launch. It has done the same thing since then.

I have tried reinstalling the game(deleting every KSP file at the steam directory before reintalling), reinstalling steam as a whole, restarting my computer, verifing the integrity of my files and reinstalling windows without any success. I don't know what else I can try. The game runs completly fine when in windows safe mode.

Thank you very much for reading

Edited by Guille2

Hi sorry this isn't an answer but I have run into an almost identical issue on wednesday (24th) and have had multiple bluescreens since, all whilst trying to launch kerbal. I saw this post was recent when I checked the forum so I thought I might give some info about my problem as well seeing as it seems almost identical, I hope that's OK. Just as a note I updated my driver and windows just after the issue, but I think windows might pre-prepare certain parts of updates so I'm wondering whether it could be Win 10 v 2004 that's causing the issue. He're some info about the error data I'm getting:

Version Steam 64 bit Unmodded (never modded) fresh Install this month, build id = 02788 (I've tried reinstalling since crash but I assume it is the same version)

What Happened Bluescreen in VAB with driver_power_state message (I think that's the graphics card), followed by crashes of ksp and then bluescreens when trying to relaunch game. same BSOD error or sometimes VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE what failed nviddmkm.sys , also obv the graphics card.

Attempted fixes updating windows, updating gtx driver, reinstalling sed driver using direct dowload instead of GeForce Expr,  reinstalling kerbal (after deleting all files and disabling steam cloud sync), running in opengl mode, forcing ksp to used Intel UHD instead of gtx card (none worked)

Logs Ksp log doesn't seem to say much to me, but the DXdiag has some errors, not that I really know what I'm looking for Player Log DxDiag

Thanks so much for any help! I hope this isn't hijacking the post but seeing as the issue seems so similar, and with recent updates to both Win 10 and Nvidea drivers coinciding I think it seems likely they are related issues and seeing as I know enough about computers to gather the relevent log files quickly I thought I'd chip in if that's OK.

My first thought was this was some issue with Unity caused by recent updates and specific hardware configs, seeing as other games seem to work fine (e.g. rocket league which uses unreal), but the fact that It still crashes when using intel graphics makes me unsure (I got a strange error message when I tried that and got BSOD but I can't remeber what it was), but I expect some of you know a lot better than me.

Thanks again and sorry if me adding my own problem is bending the rules a bit but I hope my info might help OP as well.

Hi again, thanks for the suggestion Curveball. Unfortunately when I looked at the power settings suggested in the article they were already set to max performance (both plugged in and out). As I said I already updated my driver and I actually have my wireless disabled so I don't think it would be that. I have previuosly seen this driver_Power_state error when using Nvidea's raytracing render engine Iray, which I belived to be caused by the program to try to overload the VRAM when using large texture assets (as the engine loads all assets into vram unlike msot which can use system RAM), and this causing the gpu driver to get upset :confused:. I think it can be range of driver related issues; according to other posts online this error is also often caused with a new driver install, and thus before I saw your post I tried someting else:

I downloaded the previous driver for my 1050 off Nvidea's website and doing a clean install of that (uninstalling the card driver using device manager, updating devices in the manager and then installing the driver from the downloaded file selecting custom install and clean install tickbox) and this seems to have at least mitigated the problem. I haven't yet had another BSOD whilst trying to run kerbal, and after about 10-15 mins of intermittent "not responding" from KSP I actually managed to get to the Main menu which I hadn't done before. I am now going to see if I can actually play the game but this seems to have at least stopped the BSOD.

I don't know if OP is still here but I would just wonder if he has a laptop as I do as I suspect this problem is some combination of Nvidea/Win 10 updates and specific hardware combinations (weirder ones often being found in laptops I believe) causing a problem with something Unity. I know the KSP update's coming very soon so maybe this might fix it if we're lucky, though i won't hold out hope. I think I ought to report this as a bug to Nvidea although I'm not really sure whose end this problem is on (I have always suffered from slow load times which may have been caused by a Unity bug as I understand from common issues page so maybe this is related?).

anyway sorry for wall of text but here is a list of what I am doing at the moment if it might help others:

1) updated to windows 2004

2) done a clean KSP install after deleting all files manually as well a uninstall from steam, and disabling cloud sync

3) using "-force-glcore" in launch options

4) initially updated graphics driver BUT THEN uninstalled and then reinstalled and  older driver (446.14  notebook for my gtx 1050, dont know what OP has)

only afer (4) did my issue seem to resolve, but other steps may also be necessary

if OP sees this you seem to know what you're doing so I won't link a turorial, but I can probably find the one I used to do the clean driver install using device manager if he needs it.

Will continue testing this fix, but i hope it might help OP!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.