first impressions of 1.10.0.2917

OK, so forgive me for my brutal honesty. You can't grow without honesty. And Squad's love for this game is matched only by my own. These are the bugs, glitches I've noticed thus far in an early Career Mode playthrough:

1)Kerbin's default atmosphere shader looks worse than even in the early days.  Scatterer for 1.9.1 works with it, but doesn't over-ride or replace it, so the bright, luminous default atmosphere is always there. Maybe this isn't a bug, just an aesthetic thing which I usually fix with mods.

2) Camera is zoomed very, very far away from ship when going from Map View back Ship View.

3)This may have been a mod issue, but when I was orbiting the Mun, I noticed the FPS go from 60 in Map View (I have it locked at 60) to 3 when returning to Ship View. The game literally became unplayable, the whole interface, everything was at 3 FPS. I have the Mun texture set to High (and I know things have to load), but I've never had this issue before, even on a PC that is 7 years old. Sometimes it would fix itself, other times it wouldn't and I would have to restart the game. The really odd thing was, when I checked Task Manager while it was at 3FPS the CPU usage was at 1-3%. When it returned to normal, CPU usage went back to a normal 10-15%. Which makes absolutely no sense to me, it was behaving as though CPU was overloaded yet I had no other background programs hogging the CPU. I also noticed RAM usage (16GBs max) seemed higher than usual for a new game with few mods. Maybe that caused the FPS crash too, I'm no expert.

Everything else seems ok so far. And I love all the extra additions to the game. My main gripe seems to be how it looks and the FPS drop.

Number 2 is in the Changelog:

* The camera will not position itself at an appropriate distance when switching vessels to prevent the camera starting inside vessels.

It could get mildly annoying, but I'd rather have that, than it starting inside "vessels" (I assume they mean ships connected to large asteroids ... and comets?). That's much more confusing and disorienting.

I guess they could make everyone happy by including the asteroid/comet when calculating whatever "appropriate distance" means?

Oh, and FYI the option FLT_CAMERA_ZOOM_SENS = in settings.cfg can be used to change how fast zoom works. I have mine set pretty high, so a quick jab of the zoom button usually brings us back to a sane distance.

Edited by surge

On 7/4/2020 at 5:42 AM, TimKerbin said:

OK, so forgive me for my brutal honesty. You can't grow without honesty. And Squad's love for this game is matched only by my own. These are the bugs, glitches I've noticed thus far in an early Career Mode playthrough:

1)Kerbin's default atmosphere shader looks worse than even in the early days.  Scatterer for 1.9.1 works with it, but doesn't over-ride or replace it, so the bright, luminous default atmosphere is always there. Maybe this isn't a bug, just an aesthetic thing which I usually fix with mods.

2) Camera is zoomed very, very far away from ship when going from Map View back Ship View.

3)This may have been a mod issue, but when I was orbiting the Mun, I noticed the FPS go from 60 in Map View (I have it locked at 60) to 3 when returning to Ship View. The game literally became unplayable, the whole interface, everything was at 3 FPS. I have the Mun texture set to High (and I know things have to load), but I've never had this issue before, even on a PC that is 7 years old. Sometimes it would fix itself, other times it wouldn't and I would have to restart the game. The really odd thing was, when I checked Task Manager while it was at 3FPS the CPU usage was at 1-3%. When it returned to normal, CPU usage went back to a normal 10-15%. Which makes absolutely no sense to me, it was behaving as though CPU was overloaded yet I had no other background programs hogging the CPU. I also noticed RAM usage (16GBs max) seemed higher than usual for a new game with few mods. Maybe that caused the FPS crash too, I'm no expert.

Everything else seems ok so far. And I love all the extra additions to the game. My main gripe seems to be how it looks and the FPS drop.

So I'm not the only one having FPS issues and crashes when leaving the map view. For me it's most common when I leave Kerbin's soi when it's still loaded, this is guaranteed to cause exactly what you described. This seems to be caused by changing soi's in the map view and then going back to flight view. Also the game with visual mods, especially the Jool system gets like 30 FPS when it used to get 50+ FPS.

Edit: I forgot the one time when the sun disappeared in map view and not being able to see Kerbin in map view and my screen Turing black if I looked at Kerbin (this may be scatterers fault though.)

Edit 2: the FPS lag and crashes is not mod related, although mods may make it worse. It's happened to me on pure stock installs.

Edited by catloaf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.