RP-1: Luddite Space Program.

Pds314

The aim of this challenge is to start a new career mode in RP-1, and get as far as possible WITHOUT researching anything at the R&D.

For how to install RP-1, I recommend using CKAN and reading the most current guides you can find on google, then following them exactly.

Can you break 1000 km in a sounding rocket?  What about 3000 km down range? Can you orbit Kerbin? Collide with the Moon? LAND something there? With no soft OR hard vacuum grade pods, An absolute unit of an avionics core, no solar panels whatsoever, and rocket engines that are both absolute units and pathetically bad, can you nonetheless achieve SOMETHING?

Can you have a successful RP-1 career while rejecting all forms of new technology?

All of the standard RO parts mods are fair game. Other, non-RO, non-RP1 mods are case by case. In general if it feels OP it probably is.

Oh, and it's ok to set KRASH simulations to free if you're playing no reverts/quicksaves.

Edited by Pds314

Status update, 27th of May, 1951.

The film of our progress is unfortunately still being developed (read: I'm not at my PC right now so I can't upload screenshots).

Be that as it may, the air defense ministry has generously given us permission to license-build one of their smaller jet fighters in demillitarized form in order to facilitate our mission. The vehicle, known as the JFG-3 "Strange Goose", is said to be capable of speeds somewhat over mach 1.0 in straight and level flight at most or all altitudes, powered by a pair of "Derwent V" engines mounted on the wings. Our own test pilots have confirmed to be the case. The plane handles nicely at almost all speeds and altitudes with the exception of mild wobble.  Jeb is not permitted to fly under any circumstances until properly trained how not to break it.

Our first order of business around 2 and a half months back was to take the plane out for a spin with a disabled version of the rocket we wish to launch from it. The rocket is a pretty minimal little thing. Our Aerobee engine is just strapped to the most minimal of transponders we could acquire and some small stabilization fins have been equipped, behind a 4 meter long fuel tank that's sent more than a few ground crew to the hospital. This thing is basically a lance. Anyway, after the first flight Bill exclaimed that under no circumstances would he fly this mission without better evidence of its reliability. Seeing as Jeb was indeed scheduled to fly it, we had no choice but to go for a second flight with the payload attached. The Strange Goose was flown to an altitude of 16 kilometers, and broke level flight speeds of  360 m/s. and was no worse for wear.

Anyway, the day after that, we took the thing on a proper flight. Our goal was simple: get the rocket past the Karman line. The Air Defense people were a bit surprised how minimalistic the rocket was, asking us why, when the launch aircraft is designed for ground attack roles, we don't put something a bit stronger on it? Maybe with multiple stages? Well, basically it comes down to time. We wanted a demonstration that we could reach 50 km and even the Karman line with an air-launched rocket as soon as possible, and Frankly sending something to 200, 400, 800 kilometers  up or whatnot would've really strained the aircraft's communications capabilities. It would be ashame to lose a rocket and a plane both because the pilot is too focused on the rocket. We don't want to lose track of the rocket either.

We flew quite a good number of flights with this little jet after launching the rocket, which turned out unstable and made it to 135 or so kilometers high. Val and Jeb told us that they thought they could set the crewed aircraft altitude record at 20 kilometers no problem. We told them the cabin would not remain pressurized at that altitude and they just laughed. Anyhow, they managed to jump out and back and neither of them lost consciousness, although I could have sworn Jeb sounded drowsy and said something completely incoherent about a second before dropping back below the rated altitude.

In any case, we've been getting a lot of funding and decided we should improve our manufacturing process. It's now much faster than just a few months back.

Deciding to aim a bit further, we built a spin-stabilized rocket that used 3 stages to propel itself over a thousand kilometers high and about 3400 kilometers away. The thing dwarfed our previous design with our RD-100 engine powering it's flight. We joked that it was the "Bad Neighbor Mk1" although to be honest it probably couldn't hit the same postal code as anyone who had a problem with it. The second stage had four of our Aerobees and the third had just one and yet again a 4-meter pike for a fuel tank. We decided against trying to aim for the Azores on the off chance we might rain rocket parts there, although to be honest I think it was more for the bragging rights of being the first one to send a rocket a million meters high that we didn't take such a flat trajectory. That rocket was huge. I think it's honestly maybe a foot below the hangar doors.

Anyway, we used most of the grant money to try to build rockets faster. Our next rocket took just 18 days to construct and had one simple mission. Put some equipment up at 70 km high or more. Three aerobees, a tank (thankfully not a giant spear this time), a guidance unit and an aerodynamic cone later, the thing is probably the cheapest standalone vehicle we've ever made. It's one stage. We decided to make a backup of it in case something went wrong, although it's hard to imagine anything would with this. It foregoes fins for pure gyrojet spin stabilization. Val said she thought she saw it spin out up there, but the radar doesn't lie. It made it within 2-3 kilometers of its projected height of 97 km. I think if it spun out it must have been well above the thick of the atmosphere.

At this point our new launch pad is underway, but it's gonna take awhile. They told us it could be mid-1952 before we can use the pad, but I think they're underestimated just how fast this stuff can be built. I give it February 1952 at the latest. It is projected that should we succeed in developing an orbital rocket with a controllable payload, it will need at minimum a 50-tonne booster to get it up there. Possibly considerably more.

Until then, We will need to see if these rockets can power aircraft, or maybe we could work something out with the air defense ministry for some faster jets. Mach 1 is plenty for a fighter but to be honest, we need something a bit faster.

Edited by Pds314

What can't be done with early Jets can be done with MOAR early jets. Don't worry everything is supposed to be on fire. (Also it's a simulation, the actual run would not be a night mission most likely).

Mach 2.1 using pure Derwent V cluster spam. 8.5 tonnes of jets on 2 tonnes of fuselage, intakes, tanks and wings, and a bit over half a tonne of kerosene left at this point.

JYe9zHb.png

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.