Hinges not mirroring properly

kerbnub

So I made a rover with folding legs for low gravity bodies, but for some reason, half the hinges on one side don't work. In the pic on the runway you can see they're not folded. I built the wheels parts with mirrored symmetry, and the other hinges do fold properly. I've tried rebuilding them from scratch but get the same thing and it's driving me crazy now. Anyone seen something like this? I'm on a heavily modded ksp 1.9.1 and just got breaking ground, so I'm not sure if there's something simple I'm missing or it's a bug.

https://imgur.com/a/3PliR68

8 hours ago, kerbnub said:

So I made a rover with folding legs for low gravity bodies, but for some reason, half the hinges on one side don't work. In the pic on the runway you can see they're not folded. I built the wheels parts with mirrored symmetry, and the other hinges do fold properly. I've tried rebuilding them from scratch but get the same thing and it's driving me crazy now. Anyone seen something like this? I'm on a heavily modded ksp 1.9.1 and just got breaking ground, so I'm not sure if there's something simple I'm missing or it's a bug.

https://imgur.com/a/3PliR68

Mirror symmetry with robotics was badly broken in 1.8 and stayed that way up to and including 1.10. It's been more or less fixed in 1.11 -- not completely, you can still get it to conk out from time to time -- but for the most part. So your options are pretty much: 

• Roll back to 1.7.4
  • Upgrade to 1.11.1
  • Find workarounds

The only reasonably reliable workaround I've found is not to use mirror symmetry with robotic parts; instead, use mirror symmetry with parts you use as mount points -- struts or whatever. Then stick the robo stuff on those with symmetry disabled and set up the action groups or KAL controller stuff on them individually.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Mirror symmetry with robotics was badly broken in 1.8 and stayed that way up to and including 1.10. It's been more or less fixed in 1.11 -- not completely, you can still get it to conk out from time to time -- but for the most part. So your options are pretty much: 

• Roll back to 1.7.4
  • Upgrade to 1.11.1
  • Find workarounds

The only reasonably reliable workaround I've found is not to use mirror symmetry with robotic parts; instead, use mirror symmetry with parts you use as mount points -- struts or whatever. Then stick the robo stuff on those with symmetry disabled and set up the action groups or KAL controller stuff on them individually.

Ok, thanks. I hoped it wasn't so, and thought not, because I'd have expected more complaining about something so common being broken =/ 

Can't test atm, but do you know if placing them with symmetry then removing symmetry before assigning them in KAL would work?

7 hours ago, kerbnub said:

Can't test atm, but do you know if placing them with symmetry then removing symmetry before assigning them in KAL would work?

I don’t remember, sorry. Worth a try though.

Edit: IIRC the main reason I went with mount points is that once you remove the parts from symmetry, you can't adjust their positions symmetrically anymore and I'd always end up with a wonky craft. Whereas if they sit on mount points which are symmetrical, you can move those and it stays together. Hint: the very small nose cone makes for an excellent mount point as you can surface mount it to just about everything with the flat face pointing outwards. It also looks good.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.