How to get a 3 maned pod to another planet?

(Question is at the bottom)

The 0.17 update has been out for a couple days and i was lucky enough to be on the computer when it came out (literally only a couple hours after launch)

So i got a head start on exploring the new planets and messing around with the IVA stuff and its great.

I didn't do much in KSP that night ( i only played for a couple minutes)

but in the morning i started to explore.

I saw on Youtube that people like Scott Manley had already sent craft to the planets and i was eager to join that club

so i put together a rocket and did some testing to adjust to the new handling of the parts and within an hour i was ready to go

My first attempts where to go to Eve but because i kept missing i just decided to go to Duna.

PICS WILL BE HERE SOON THE FORUM INS BEING A #####

After getting to Duna i went for Eve and i got there in one go ( but with hardly hardly any fuel so i ditched the engine)

TIP: You can just use a parachute to land on Eve because the atmosphere is no thick.

After Eve i went back to Duna Because its quite easy and landed on its moon IKE

Every time you go to Duna you will almost always intercept IKE at least once, because its so big.

Finally, My question...

How do you get a 3 maned pod to other planets?

Because when i try i need to make the lander bigger

and making it bigger requires more power

and more power requires more fuel and more fuel is more weight that i cant get into orbit.

I got on Ike, Gilly, and Eve with a 3 manned pod. The chute got ripped off on Eve, and I had no lander stage to land on Duna.

The trick is that I give myself a head start by storing a lot of energy in my parking orbit. My launcher can easily put a 3 man pod + big tank + nuclear engine on a 10 000 km parking orbit, I can then slingshot on mun and minmus up to an orbit just on the limit of escaping Kermin. (With such a wide orbit, the period is so long that you have to plan your launch to be at the ejection angle in time before the phase angle is off). The launcher can also put my lander on a 5 000 km parking orbit. (even a retrograde one) Also, even the last stage of the launcher stays on an sub-orbital trajectory, which means all debris are supposed to fall back down on Kerbin. (But it doesn't happen because apparently the debris don't get atmospheric drag unless you're looking at them... and by some bizarre glitch there is now a belt of debris going in retrograde orbit around the sun, between Kerbin and Eve...)

Well you kind of answered your own question. The whole thing needs to be bigger and more powerful. There is no way around that so you will just have to keep experimenting and improving designs to make them more effective and keep reading the forums about techniques that can save fuel, there is quite a lot of them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.