The TARDIS

The Destroyer

However, since you cant see any kerbals in the tardis, i have posted a fix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hixz8jbj181gb5/part.cfg?m I see no harm in posting this, as i am symply fixing a little bug in it, and i dont know how to contact the author. However, if the author would like to have it removed, I will do so.

Also, i did say "this is not my mod" in the OP, stating that this was not my work.

Don't worry about it. It seems the concept of fair use has gone the way of the dodo in these times.

This isn't a mod that steals from another mod at all. It's a derivative work that adds value to the previous one, by updating it so that it may be used in the original capacity it was intended for. The internal cabin tweak is a further enhancement.

Honestly, you'd have to be somewhat insane as a creator to have ruffled feathers over improvements to something you made like this.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Don't worry about it. It seems the concept of fair use has gone the way of the dodo in these times.

I find it hilarious when people who pirate things people's livelihoods are based on causing real economic harm to families the world over say "This is my mod, I reserve all rights, you're not allowed to even say it's name in public, yada, yada."

The irony of it all is that you just know the preachy types are the ones who're running a pirated version of KSP to begin with.

This isn't a mod that steals from another mod at all. It's a derivative work that adds value to the previous one, by updating it so that it may be used in the original capacity it was intended for. The internal cabin tweak is a further enhancement.

Honestly, you'd have to be somewhat insane as a creator to have ruffled feathers over improvements to something you made like this.

Derivative works are still covered by the copyright of the original works though. People should always ask permission first, not just because it is copyrighted but also it is simple common courtesy.

I find it hilarious when people who pirate things people's livelihoods are based on causing real economic harm to families the world over say "This is my mod, I reserve all rights, you're not allowed to even say it's name in public, yada, yada."

The irony of it all is that you just know the preachy types are the ones who're running a pirated version of KSP to begin with.

and you base this on what evidence exactly??

Hi All,

I am indeed the guy who made this (unless there's two tardis mods out there). I haven't looked at this since about 0.13 so I do not know how it might react. That said, it was very picky back then and I got around most problems by dropping weights and reducing drag. I should really redo this, better textures, more detail and more parts so it can be used in 0.17. Oh and to the guy with the mod, no problem matey. this was a real quick and dirty release so pick it to bits if you like.

regards,

Mat

I was taking a look at it and I got it to display the Kerbonaut in the lower right hand part of the screen, and it has the EVA/IVA buttons(but the IVA internal view is the Mk1Cockpit). Sadly the Kerbonaut cannot exit as the pod "has no hatch".

I got it to display him by adding these lines to the part.cfg

// --- internal setup ---
CrewCapacity = 1
INTERNAL
{
name = mk1CockpitInternal
}

I was going to do a dirty fix of adding an invisible ladder to the front of the TARDIS' fuel tank, and a "hatch" to the pod at the sign that says "Police Box" so you could climb up he front an enter the pod. Sadly I am running linux an unity will not run under wine as of yet. The instructions for adding a hatch and ladder can be found here: http://kspwiki.nexisonline.net/wiki/Adding_Airlocks_and_Ladders_to_Parts

Another thing I noticed about the tardis, and I do not know if this happens to other ships or not. In the debug menu the no crash damage and unbreakable joints have no effect.

Edited by NolanSyKinsley

Derivative works are still covered by the copyright of the original works though. People should always ask permission first, not just because it is copyrighted but also it is simple common courtesy.

On this we agree. It is indeed common courtesy, though there are many cases where such courtesy is impossible or unnecessary. When the rule is to ask first, it makes derivative works nigh impossible, as all the creator need do is to never reply. In the case such as this mod, something long abandoned where the creator hasn't been active of late, it's not reasonable to expect that a simple edit such as this should be held to the same standard (that the editor must get written permission).

And derivative works don't necessarily grandfather the copyright of the previous one. That's a matter decided on a case-by-case basis (because it's very, very complex and dependent on circumstance).

Ultimately, rules and laws, are not static, monolithic things, but must be flexible as certain situations may render them invalid. The realization of this salient fact is an important step in a person's cognitive development, though some seem never to reach it. O.o

Edit: When I posted this, I couldn't see any of the above posts. And I didn't see them after I posted either. How odd. o.O

Edited by phoenix_ca

I was working on a Tardis of my own a couple weeks back. It's only a command pod and is only compatible with the demo as far as I know, but in the next few weeks I'm going to purchase the game and try to get it working in the current version if anyone is interested. The texture and mesh have been updated a couple times since this pic to more closely match the current tardis.

SXmVe.jpg

if anyone is interested.

The original TARDIS mod got an extremely underrated reception compared to even the most trivial parts. Expect heartbreak and disappointment if you bust your arse for anyone's satisfaction besides the half dozen fellow Whovians who would use it. However, whilst a Whovian, I would opt not to use it as it is a game and immersion breaking concept which, as far as I can tell, is diametrically opposed in intent to everything which the developers and their modder community have worked towards.

Modding is a double edged blade in that regards. You'll find the first person to include a set of antennae, dishes and simple tiny little reality tweaks that make our ships look more realistic will have a thousand downloads in a matter of a few days, but folks who work on ambitious projects that break the unspoken allegedly mutual intent of development will get shunned like leppers. So, forgive me if I don't shake your hand, but good luck with your further developments. <3

The original TARDIS mod got an extremely underrated reception compared to even the most trivial parts. Expect heartbreak and disappointment if you bust your arse for anyone's satisfaction besides the half dozen fellow Whovians who would use it. However, whilst a Whovian, I would opt not to use it as it is a game and immersion breaking concept which, as far as I can tell, is diametrically opposed in intent to everything which the developers and their modder community have worked towards.

Modding is a double edged blade in that regards. You'll find the first person to include a set of antennae, dishes and simple tiny little reality tweaks that make our ships look more realistic will have a thousand downloads in a matter of a few days, but folks who work on ambitious projects that break the unspoken allegedly mutual intent of development will get shunned like leppers. So, forgive me if I don't shake your hand, but good luck with your further developments. <3

Well most of my work has been for fun anyways, I don't care about thousands of downloads as long as a few people get enjoyment out of landing something on another planet using something I made or just want to mess around with some oddball parts I made in the past to blow stuff up. I mostly make things for my own enjoyment first but anyone who downloads is just a plus to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.