Account For Window's Head In Windows In Windowed-Mode

I use multiple monitors, and playing games in Fullscreen mode can cause issues when trying to switch screens on my system. I want to tell Pandora to skip, or hit next on a YouTube video, respond to a private message in Discord, or whatever, and things go wonky with a lot of games in full-screen mode.

I've been using multiple-monitors for many years now, and almost everyone I know uses multiple-monitors. It's anecdotal for me, but I suspect that multi-monitor is very popular and becoming the norm if it isn't already.

There are lots of games that handled Windowed-Mode very well, they usually are ones that don't care what size the window is set to, I can click the little "Full-Screen" button (not true full screen) between the little line for minimize and the 'X' for close, and they pop into filling the entire screen up, and they generally work really well. Not always, but most.

Then there's another category, that Kerbal Space Program falls into, which is to have fixed sizes for me to choose from. I don't know why a fixed size is necessary in a game like Kerbal, or many of the others, but they have it.

The problem is, they don't account for the Window-Head, or Banner at the top of the window, in Windows.

So, if I set them to 1920x1080, for example, on a 1920x1080 screen, the foot of the window disappears of the screen. On Kerbal this hides the YAW, The names of my passengers, the HDG, and other things.

In some games, it just hides picture real-estate, but in other games like Kerbal, it actually hides information.

I'd recommend getting rid of fixed window sizes if possible, or making an option that allows a player to set the window size to anything they want it to be in windowed mode, and leave the fixed sizes in for whoever might want them (I can't imagine how, but I suspect someone likes them fixed or they wouldn't exist as an option).

Either way, I'd appreciate it if you-folks took Window's window-heads into account in the future, with all games, as well as fixed it for KSP.

=-=-=-=

I'm aware of programs that exist to make games borderless windowed, and some games even come with that as an option. Some games and programs don't play nice with that extra program for me, and I feel game companies should have figured this out by now and I shouldn't be required to run a third-party software for it.

Also, not all games function well in borderless-windowed mode that come with it as an option.

I'm not looking for feedback from general forum users, I'm offering a suggestion and feedback of my own to the current developers of KSP and KSP2.

Thank you

16 hours ago, Sasuga said:

I've been using multiple-monitors for many years now, and almost everyone I know uses multiple-monitors. It's anecdotal for me, but I suspect that multi-monitor is very popular and becoming the norm if it isn't already.

It’d be interesting to see the results of a poll on this as I’m not sure that’s true. 

I don’t use multi screens so have no experience but I’m very surprised Windows doesn’t take this extra head thing into account when setting the display. And I’m also surprised no-one has created something to fix it. 

7 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

It’d be interesting to see the results of a poll on this as I’m not sure that’s true. 

I don’t use multi screens so have no experience but I’m very surprised Windows doesn’t take this extra head thing into account when setting the display. And I’m also surprised no-one has created something to fix it. 

I'm curious as well, but even if it's not "very popular" I'm sure it's going to only gain popularity.

As far as fixing the issue, it's not a Window's Bug, it's a feature. And game developers, game engines, are not taking the header into account.

It's not nearly as serious, but a little bit like forgetting most buildings don't have a 13th floor when you're about to bungie-jump.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.