Fresh opinion of the music I've been writing (Rock/punk)

boac89

I've been writing all the songs for my band since we started but I don't really have a background in song writing. I mainly use song writing to get my opinions out, but it would be good if I could actually write something that sounds entertaining.

I've made a page at Reverb Nation under my name (rather than for my band) and recorded some vocals on top of midis I've written out for a few of our songs. Just looking for some opinions on them, which ones were better, etc.

Songs:

Burn (Rushed vocals)

Ripped and Stoned (First song I wrote)

Set Me Free (Palm muting in the guitar/drum section doesn't come up in this version)

Start Again (Newest song I've written. Haven't yet written the bass line or guitar solo. Originally written for 2 guitars but I've removed the lead guitar line)

Take It or Leave It (Slightly different style, written about Saturday nights in my home town. Seems to be a crowd favourite)

http://www.reverbnation.com/randyfromreckless

Edited by boac89
Highlighting the fact I used midis

Hey man, here's my opinion!

First of all, I should had read your post totally before hitting the play button, I was all "damn, guitars and drums sound freaking midi...". Riffs seems pretty nice, totally get into the punk/rock vibe, imagining them with a decent sound and they are more likely pretty catchy.

Now, for the singing part, since its what you want opinion on mostly. You got a really nice voice, you control your pitch pretty nicely and the type of vocals fits the music pretty nicely. That being said, here is what I'd suggest you: give a little heat/harsh to your voice, not telling you that you should go all death metal or anything, your singing is just too clean for punk rock IMO (keep in mind, I'm listening mostly to metal, so thats a metalhead opinion lol).

Anyway, keep up making music. I'm also a musician myself (playing guitar in a project, bass in another, back vocalist for both), nice to see some other on this board

Cheers!

It does sound good, and you do have a good voice.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I half-agree with Vostre Roy on your voice being too clean.

The voice reminds me of Green Day style music (punk/rock I guess), but the music makes me think darker more metal. I attached it to Metalocalypse, although it certainly isn't NEARLY as hardcore metal as that.

My point is that I almost felt like they juxtaposed. They didn't clash, but juxtaposed.

I don't know what else to say. I liked your voice, and the music beat (it sounded to much like a midi file for my taste), so...yeah. I can't really describe what I'm trying to get at lol

Edit: >_> Maybe you should bold face the part about MIDI files in your post, because I read right over it somehow lol

Thanks for the advice! I'll bold up the midi part. lol.

I actually agree a fair bit with what you're saying about my voice being too clean. I'm currently working on that for most of the songs. In fact, my band has put Avenues and Alleyways by Rancid on our playlist because it's a good song for me to practise a harsher voice on.

Thanks again! I posted this on another forum too but considering my experience of that forum I'm not expecting too much help there XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.