Ksp lags TERRIBALLY under a certain height with visual mods, how do I fix this for everywhere?

7 minutes ago, MultiCatRain said:

Read the title, it's very important. But seriously, how do I do that. I want to make it so it stays the same fps under any height and the cloud resolution ALWAYS stays the same out of atmosphere.
I have Eve/Scatterer/ScatterSunflare

There are so many factors that come into play. The frame rate drop comes from a variety of factors; I play a heavily modded game (it takes almost 20 minutes to load) complete with Scatterer/Sunflare/EVE, and other fun visual mods. Anyhow, here are a few things that can affect your FPS:

• The hardware you are using (GPU/video card/CPU)
  • Visual quality settings within the game.
    • I have each setting maxed out. Like you, I love a beautiful game. But I do not sacrifice beauty for play-ability.
    • If your FPS is more like a PowerPoint slideshow, you might want to back these down. Experiment and find a setting that is aesthetically pleasing but does not sacrifice performance.
  • Scatter detail - 100% gives you tons of stuff, 0% takes away everything including trees. If your FPS is really bad, set it around 75%
  • Which SVE/EVE settings are you using? Even though my graphics card can handle the high quality settings, I download the medium quality ones. Still looks good but does not use a lot of system resources.
  • How many items do you have active in a given area?
    • For example, do you have a large 1,500 part vessel? This will slow down your FPS.
    • Do you have a bunch of smaller vessels within a 25Km area? This will slow down your FPS.
    • Debris is also calculated in. The more of it you have in a given area, the program calculates its physics. Therefore, too much of it can also slow down your FPS.
  • The number of different mod packs/different textures those mod packs use.
    • I am not sure if 1.12 is the same, but in older versions of the game, each mod is loaded into RAM. This takes up system resources.
    • The more mods you have, and the more mods you use in any one given situation (think a ship that has 500 parts and incorporates 25 different mods), that can create a big memory footprint with just the craft!

I have only had one cup of coffee, so far, but there's a lot that goes into what causes KSP's FPS to drop. Best thing to do is to tinker with the graphics settings and find something that gives you the best performance and visual output for your system.

I hope this helps point you in the right general direction. :)

7 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Which SVE/EVE settings are you using? Even though my graphics card can handle the high quality settings, I download the medium quality ones. Still looks good but does not use a lot of system resources.

Yeah I use Low quality everything, I just don't know how to do that 100% thing you talking about.

7 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

How many items do you have active in a given area?

• For example, do you have a large 1,500 part vessel? This will slow down your FPS.
  • Do you have a bunch of smaller vessels within a 25Km area? This will slow down your FPS.
  • Debris is also calculated in. The more of it you have in a given area, the program calculates its physics. Therefore, too much of it can also slow down your FPS.

No items at all in the entire save, AND I am on the ksc screen.

21 minutes ago, MultiCatRain said:

its just the clouds I am pretty sure, When I just look at the ground my fps is fine, All I need to know is how to have the clouds at a low enough RES for my pc to handle.

Within EVE/SVE, you have to download the configuration settings pack for the resolution you want. It has three options - high, medium, and low. There's no in-game setting for the cloud config that I am aware of.

23 minutes ago, MultiCatRain said:

No items at all in the entire save, AND I am on the ksc screen.

The KSC screen is notorious for a lagging frame rate. I'm not sure why. When you go to the craft editor (VAB or SPH), the lag normally disappears even though there is twice the activity!

24 minutes ago, MultiCatRain said:

Yeah I use Low quality everything, I just don't know how to do that 100% thing you talking about.

In your opened saved game you've been playing, do this:

1. Press <ESC> and a menu will open. You'll see the options to navigate to:
    • Resume Game
    • Save Game
    • Load Saved Game
    • Settings <--- Select this one
    • Quit to Main Menu
  2. Under the Video and Graphics settings, to help your game, check the following settings:
    • Turn the "Anti-Aliasing" option to "off" if not already there. I run mine at 4x. But not knowing how old your machine is, it should be fine turned off.
    • Texture Quality can be turned to "Half Resolution" if not already there.
  3. Click "Apply" and then go back out to the menu and select "quit to main menu."
  4. Close out the game, go back into the game and the settings should take effect.

See if that helps some.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 6:01 PM, adsii1970 said:

There are so many factors that come into play. The frame rate drop comes from a variety of factors; I play a heavily modded game (it takes almost 20 minutes to load) complete with Scatterer/Sunflare/EVE, and other fun visual mods. Anyhow, here are a few things that can affect your FPS:

• The hardware you are using (GPU/video card/CPU)
  • Visual quality settings within the game.
    • I have each setting maxed out. Like you, I love a beautiful game. But I do not sacrifice beauty for play-ability.
    • If your FPS is more like a PowerPoint slideshow, you might want to back these down. Experiment and find a setting that is aesthetically pleasing but does not sacrifice performance.
  • Scatter detail - 100% gives you tons of stuff, 0% takes away everything including trees. If your FPS is really bad, set it around 75%
  • Which SVE/EVE settings are you using? Even though my graphics card can handle the high quality settings, I download the medium quality ones. Still looks good but does not use a lot of system resources.
  • How many items do you have active in a given area?
  • The number of different mod packs/different textures those mod packs use.
    • I am not sure if 1.12 is the same, but in older versions of the game, each mod is loaded into RAM. This takes up system resources.
    • The more mods you have, and the more mods you use in any one given situation (think a ship that has 500 parts and incorporates 25 different mods), that can create a big memory footprint with just the craft!

I have only had one cup of coffee, so far, but there's a lot that goes into what causes KSP's FPS to drop. Best thing to do is to tinker with the graphics settings and find something that gives you the best performance and visual output for your system.

I hope this helps point you in the right general direction. :)

that sums up pretty much everything related to low fps issues... but i remeber one more thing there.

There is a option in the settings menu(the setting in the main screen of the game), called 'delta-time per second'. I would say that if you are having FPS problems, just slide the handle to reduce the value of that...

wfYjTmN.png

2 hours ago, The_space_monke said:

that sums up pretty much everything related to low fps issues... but i remeber one more thing there.

There is a option in the settings menu(the setting in the main screen of the game), called 'delta-time per second'. I would say that if you are having FPS problems, just slide the handle to reduce the value of that...

wfYjTmN.png

AFAIK physics delta-T is the time allowed to pass per frame, so reducing this value will make the game time run slower at a given FPS; if the frame rate is bad then this will only increase the lag, so I’d say increase physics delta-T to allow the game to run closer to real speed even if it’s lagging a bit.

10 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

AFAIK physics delta-T is the time allowed to pass per frame, so reducing this value will make the game time run slower at a given FPS; if the frame rate is bad then this will only increase the lag, so I’d say increase physics delta-T to allow the game to run closer to real speed even if it’s lagging a bit.

oh... i must have read it wrong then

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.