KERBAL HARD + UNCUT | 100% Stock

seyMonsters

Two launches and no fins? Two Fleas to the Kármán Kérmán line was hopelessly optimistic and you should have farmed the launchpad science for all it was worth before even leaving the ground for the first time- mystery goo x4, crew and EVA reports will net you loads of data; you could even be a bit cheeky and put a tiny amount of solid fuel in the booster so it barely clears the pad and use some girders to take the hit when you land.

I’m sure I have a stock Black Arrow craft knocking around somewhere :wink:

1 hour ago, seyMonsters said:

did you enjoy the magical booster landing? Lol

I’ve rewatched that part a few times and I just can’t figure out how that got there- it’s clearly the second stage booster as it has the yellow stripe on it and stage one was plain white, but when the chute opens it’s well above the pod and I never saw it fly past on its way down. The navball and chute get in the way a little bit, then suddenly the SRB is sitting on the roof, wobbling a bit as if it just landed and bounced, which doesn’t make sense as it was well above destruction velocity.

I suspect you had the ‘tidy up KSC debris’ setting turned on which would have automagically removed it once you recovered the pod itself.

You’re missing a trick with the old two-pods-stuck-together-rolling-round-the-KSC-scraping-science trick, though without Bob to reset the experiments it’ll be a lot more difficult to do.

On 1/2/2022 at 10:00 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

You’re missing a trick with the old two-pods-stuck-together-rolling-round-the-KSC-scraping-science trick, though without Bob to reset the experiments it’ll be a lot more difficult to do.

What is missing from the video is the explosion in my head when I realised the impact not having a scientist would have for little things like that!!

as for the booster landing…. All I can think is that the decoupler seem to be having some off aero effects in 1.12.3 in hard mode…     But even so… I actually watched back footage just trying to figure out hot it happened!

You should set the minimum pressure much higher- I usually use 0.5-0.65 for mains but if I see that it’s coming down over water I often bump that right up to 0.75, meaning it opens at under 3km altitude so takes less time to land. You can also set the fully opening altitude down to 700m if you’re landing at low altitude as that slows you to safe velocity nice and close to the ground. Setting them to open when risky doesn’t help and could result in a mission failing as it opened too soon and got ripped off.

35 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

What on earth Kerbin made you think that was a good idea!? Pods are too aerodynamic to survive coming in pointy end first, so you stick two together so they have to come in pointy end first?

Well it was slightly blunt ended …. ;-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.