PS4 Flight Controls? is there a Port/Starboard and Dorsal/Pectoral Control Feature?

Hello fellow Kerbs,

I have searched for here, online and read the KSPedia for the PS4 controller and I cannot find if I can or how to  control Port/Starboard and Dorsal/Pectoral thrust with my controller? nothing in the PS4 KSPedia about being able to do this, the RCS thrusters themselves offer that as an on/off feature but I do not seem to be able to do that even tho that is offered as a parts tweakable?. Also does the game have a built in launch fail every so many launches? like Mars Horizons does or a percentage of success when launching?.

Toki

Well, I have been playing on PS4 for a while, so I can help! You can use the regular controls on a keyboard, but here are the controls for controller.

Stage: X

Toggle SAS: O

Toggle RCS: L1 + O

Open HUD Radial Menu: Δ

Toggle Brakes: 

Toggle Landing Gear: L1 + 

Action Group Radial Menu: Right on the D-Pad

Special Action Group Radial Menu: Left on the D-Pad

Throttle Up/Down Immediately: Up/Down on the D-Pad

Throttle Up/Down Slowly: Hold Up/Down on the D-Pad + L1 

Toggle Mouse: Click Left Stick

Toggle Camera Mode: Click Right Stick

Toggle Staging Lock: L1 + X

Toggle IVA View: L1 + Click Right Stick

Toggle Mapview: L1 + R1

For RCS controls, you must toggle docking mode in the HUD radial menu, you will have to test the controls in orbit because they tend to differ based on the craft.

Translate Forward/Backward: L1/L2

Translate Up/Down, Left/Right: Left Stick 

Those are all the controls I can think of now, if you ever need any help with more controls, just DM me.

Edited by BigStar Aerospace

On 3/22/2022 at 11:18 AM, BigStar Aerospace said:

Translate Forward/Backward: L1/L2

Translate Up/Down, Left/Right: Left Stick 

Thanks for your time BigStar,

I did some experimenting yesterday and found that to get these controls I had to (hold) R1 and use the LS to go to port/starboard and dorsal/pectoral with the RCS engaged and my forward and backward is R1 (hold) and R2/L2. Strangely you would think that pushing left (starboard) on the LS or pushing right (port) on the LS would push the ship in those directions but it does not?, its reversed so pushing left on the LS pushes to port and pushing right with the LS pushes to starboard and the up/down is also reversed this is weird if you ask me and not intuitive, its like your driving your car and you steer left but go right instead, it makes you have to think even harder while doing these maneuvers for docking, DEV should fix this? or explain how to fix it myself? and these p/s or p/d controls are not in the KSPedia PS4 controls PDF I downloaded. I'm going to try your suggestion of switching the docking tab to on to get these controls, if that works it would be easier than holding R1 down? cause this is all about practicing my docking.....

On 3/23/2022 at 2:12 PM, TokiGlassBlower said:

Thanks for your time BigStar,

I did some experimenting yesterday and found that to get these controls I had to (hold) R1 and use the LS to go to port/starboard and dorsal/pectoral with the RCS engaged and my forward and backward is R1 (hold) and R2/L2. Strangely you would think that pushing left (starboard) on the LS or pushing right (port) on the LS would push the ship in those directions but it does not?, its reversed so pushing left on the LS pushes to port and pushing right with the LS pushes to starboard and the up/down is also reversed this is weird if you ask me and not intuitive, its like your driving your car and you steer left but go right instead, it makes you have to think even harder while doing these maneuvers for docking, DEV should fix this? or explain how to fix it myself? and these p/s or p/d controls are not in the KSPedia PS4 controls PDF I downloaded. I'm going to try your suggestion of switching the docking tab to on to get these controls, if that works it would be easier than holding R1 down? cause this is all about practicing my docking.....

Well, sadly you can't change the controls on PS4 because if you could, I would, but the reason that it is reversed is because when you push left on the stick, you are making the RCS come out the left side and push your right, I know that there is some way to change this by I think reversing the control on your probe core, but I'm not entirely sure.

19 hours ago, BigStar Aerospace said:

Well, sadly you can't change the controls on PS4 because if you could I would.

Yeah control mapping would be a nice feature, I've got 1000s of hours playing the space game Elite Dangerous and they offer PS4 mapping for that game/sim and I think that game is as complicated as KSP?.

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2022 at 9:30 PM, BigStar Aerospace said:

Well, sadly you can't change the controls on PS4 because if you could, I would, but the reason that it is reversed is because when you push left on the stick, you are making the RCS come out the left side and push your right, I know that there is some way to change this by I think reversing the control on your probe core, but I'm not entirely sure.

I always found this makes sense tbf, I think the biggest frustration with RCS control on console is being able to toggle quickly from linear to radial thrusting. I tend to use the docking mode to manually flip this mode as required. Pain in the backside. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.