EVA Struts to strut a few parts of unfunished ship in orbit

Jovzin

Hello guys.

I am building a ship in orbit from a several parts. My plan is to visit whole Kerbin system whit this one big ship.  But I must say to be on safe side I would like to strut some parts via EVA but well the old mod from DMAGIC looks like is no longer working. How can I now strut some parts that I was not able to strut during VAB building ?    

I know there is this option advanced tweakables and autostrut but is this actually working ?    And which option is the right one ? Strut to Root or strut to heaviest part or strut to grandparent ?

Thank you.

Edited by Jovzin

The Auto-strut included in the game works mostly great.

Grandparent might be tricky if it ends up Auto-strutting to a tiny part that will be floppy in itself. Best to save this only for radial boosters to Auto-strut to the core stage while skipping the decoupler.

As for the other two options, in big constructions I tend to have a couple of the biggest parts (or parts nearby a docking port or decoupler or reaction wheel) Auto-strutted to the 'root part', and the root part Auto-strutted to the 'heaviest part', and that kind of circular logic seems to hold everything together nicely.

Remember that an Auto-strut connection is like using a Strut part and using them everywhere will increase your system lag.

If you are building a huge vessel out of many docked smaller parts, I would add you might want to switch off or reduce the authority of some reaction wheels and use RCS for attitude control. I have experienced problems with two sides of a docking connection beginning to flex themselves to death wildly all on their own which even the Auto-strut did not help --- but, EVA struts did! You use an Engineer kerbal to attach them, this is stock now with no mod needed. One downside is that sometimes when you leave that vessel and reload it later, the strut ends are still attached where you left them but the steel bar itself is not there anymore.

Edited by HandyAndy
spelling

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.