My First True Space Station

KustoM

Well, this thing has taken me the better part of the day to construct, fly, maneuver and dock. This is the first time ive ever 'constructed' a station in space via docking and i must say, it was damn fun.

The station is constructed of 4 parts:

screenshot43.png

screenshot44.png

screenshot41.png

screenshot42.png

as i predicted, this thing lags ALOT, and warping is out of the question lol. But that why i made this on its own save file (thanks Squad). Anyway, hope you like and any critiques are appreciated.

Happy Launching!

Wow ! impressive looking space station :D What mod did you use for docking ? the dock parts do not look like erkle or ORDA. Also, can you warp when on another ship on somewhere else ? or can't you warp in the entire system?

*edit*

I see it's erkle now, only knew the standart decoupler look for the clamp

Edited by souza

Also, can you warp when on another ship on somewhere else ? or can't you warp in the entire system?

you can warp other ships but from experience they seem to decouple after going over 1000x speed. thats why this has its own save, so i can still do interplanetary travel without ruining the station

That looks really cool and fun to try something similar! Please list the mods you used! :D

mechjeb (only to get into the general vicinity or the station on launch), Kosmos for the solars, Truss pack for the rcs tanks, ExPI for all the main parts and of course Erkles docking mod

you can warp other ships but from experience they seem to decouple after going over 1000x speed. thats why this has its own save, so i can still do interplanetary travel without ruining the station

Hmm I have experimented some with both docking mods (erkle and ORDA) and their effects on warping. Now I have only tried this with carts docked on kerbin surface and with just 2 carts. So it might react different from you way bigger station, containing more docked parts and in orbit. Anyway what I found was that erkle's mod undocks when you warp up or down very fast (like when you're spamming the "<" button when you're entering mun surface in 1000x xD). But when you very gently warp, push "<" then wait 2 secs and push "<" to warp down the ships stay docked. I've tried both warping when controlling one of the docked ships and when controlling a nearby ship looking at the docked ships to see if they undock. Oh and when I warped on 100000x for more than 40 ingame day's the ships just undock without me even de-warping.

I did something similar with erkle, upon loading my station the next day the entire thing exploded into a million pieces, sending debris as far out as Jool. I was so sad :(

tE8CE.jpg

LMYVl.jpg

(i don't know how to spoiler it, because the forum doesnt actually provide a button for it, nor does

work)

Nice design, must have been a bit hard, but, then again, back then I made a Space Station I used ORDA on its own and the auto-docking wasn't working all the time, so about 60% of the dockings were manual

Fun times :P

Plus, you had to get it EXACTLY on the mark, or you get rejected and you cause awsomeness in Jeb's terms.

(i don't know how to spoiler it, because the forum doesnt actually provide a button for it, nor does

work)

I saw that, awesome station. Excellent work by OP as well.

As for spoilers, you should be using this formula:

[*spoiler=Whateveryouwantthebuttontosay]image goes here[*/spoiler]

(Remove the asterisks of course)

Should look like this:

image goes here

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.