Is there a mod that requires me to be at the KSC to recover instead of the whole of Kerbin?

mirogon

I think this is a stimulating question.  Although I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your intended question.

I play "Air-Sea Rescue rules", which means I do not allow myself to simply recover unattended debris on Kerbin.  I have to send a manned craft to land/splash within close physics range.  Any personnel in the downed craft have to be ferried back by my ASR craft (cannot be recovered with the downed vessel).  I have toyed with the idea of requiring a submarine deployed to the bottom of the ocean to pick up any bits that sink to the floor.

So my question would be: if you have the gift of your own imagination, why do you need a mod to play whatever rules you want?

KSP, for me, is all about imagination.

Another example, very minor.  I use a maximum gear extension speed of 150 m/s (very generous!).  Not permitted to extend gear at higher speeds to use their drag to rescue a botched approach.

Or my Divine Intervention program.  I don't like to leave kerbals and other failed debris out in Kerbolar orbit, lost in space, (cluttering memory).  So I allow myself to "beam" such back into a geosync orbit -- strictly to be retired from the game -- under well-defined rules.  (See Mercy.)  It's not lazy because it's actually quite a lot of work.  And it presents interesting challenges, similar to the Go-Fetch Contract rescue missions, but more a propos: "you made the mess, you clean it up".  Playing Sandbox, I don't get any pecuniary benefit from it.  And it makes me feel good.

Or another: HyperkubeOr AnionOr Subnautica., which is a buoyancy part used in e.g. Limpet.

So my return question is: why do you need a mod to do what your imagination can do for you?  Go ahead, let your inner child loose.  Make up your own rules.  Sense how KSP responds with seemingly infinite possibilities.

Edited by Hotel26

3 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

I think this is a stimulating question.  Although I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your intended question.

I play "Air-Sea Rescue rules", which means I do not allow myself to simply recover unattended debris on Kerbin.  I have to send a manned craft to land/splash within close physics range.  Any personnel in the downed craft have to be ferried back by my ASR craft (cannot be recovered with the downed vessel).  I have toyed with the idea of requiring a submarine deployed to the bottom of the ocean to pick up any bits that sink to the floor.

So my question would be: if you have the gift of your own imagination, why do you need a mod to play whatever rules you want?

KSP, for me, is all about imagination.

Another example, very minor.  I use a maximum gear extension speed of 150 m/s (very generous!).  Not permitted to extend gear at higher speeds to use their drag to rescue a botched approach.

Or my Divine Intervention program.  I don't like to leave kerbals and other failed debris out in Kerbolar orbit, lost in space, (cluttering memory).  So I allow myself to "beam" such back into a geosync orbit -- strictly to be retired from the game -- under well-defined rules.  (See Mercy.)  It's not lazy because it's actually quite a lot of work.  But it presents interesting challenges.  Playing Sandbox, I don't get any pecuniary benefit from it.  And it makes me feel good.

Or another: HyperkubeOr AnionOr Subnautica...

So my return question is: why do you need a mod to do what your imagination can do for you?  Go ahead, let your inner child loose.  Make up your own rules.  Sense how KSP responds with seemingly infinite possibilities.

Thank you for your awesome response!

I envy your ability to play and enforce your own rules in Sandbox mode. I enjoy Career mode much more since I'm a person who enjoys and sometimes needs having the game suggest me my next adventure.

It's the same with rules, having the game enforcing the rules instead of me doing it myself just feels different for me.

21 hours ago, mirogon said:

just feels different for me

Well, I understand you on that perfectly well.  I hope someone else will give you a more direct response to your question.

I want to add: "welcome to the forum!"  :)

I think the problem with this is that the game doesn't really distinguish a "you".

"You" are wherever your attention is.  The seat of that attention is, by default, at the KSC.  So you are basically always at the KSC.

There are mods, however, that require kerbals be brought home to the KSC for them to recover from long missions and/or radiation etc.

Here, I think I found something that might help you do what you're looking for.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1286

The description is "

IMBY (or Not In My BackYard) is a modlet that restricts recovery of vessels to within a range of predefined "beacons". By default the only beacon is the KSC and recovery is limited to within 100km. If you try to recover from further, a message will pop up alerting you that you are too far away.

Additional beacons can be created through the Beacons.cfg file that is generated after the first run. Future plans for the mod include a UI to allow creating new beacons and parts that allow for mobile beacons (for bases and recovery ships)."

Is this close?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.