KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

as a gain of at best 15% costs a 150% more power.

Power is not an issue for anyone in the modern age, unless your an eco freak, living on minimum wage or an Intel fanboy, of which I am neither of the three.

It is a nice chip, but let us not lose sight of reality.

Yes, let's not forget I got it for £150.

It is pretty rare for two programs to run at full load simultaneously outside benchmark conditions, having four or even eight run at the same time just does not seem to happen.

So I play games, render videos and have 20+ programs running in my taskbar (All together I might add), and your telling me it's 'rare' that you'll ever get that kind of usage?

I have an old machine running a i7 3770k, and let me tell you, doing the things I can do on this PC, would give my 3770k a heart attack, and the 3770k is a pretty decent processor.

Edited by deskjetser

Honestly, I love my FX-8350.

I run a healthy amount of stuff while running OBS, Its a very good chip.

Thank you, this is precisely what I wanted to say in fear of getting hounded for speaking out.

Many of the the benchmarks, are exactly that, benchmarks, not real usage.

Honestly, I love my FX-8350.

I run a healthy amount of stuff while running OBS, Its a very good chip.

I never said it's not. It is contending with the better Intel chips and that is something noteworthy - especially when you consider their respective development budgets. It is not perfect though, and that is something to remember. The only way you can deal with computers and make sensible choices is to recognise the strong and the weak points of the different pieces of hardware. I pride myself on recommending pretty much all brands and types of equipment to different people (Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ATI/AMD, Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, Apple et cetera) according to their wishes (regarding performance, not which brands they like) and budget. Every pot has a lid. Some products have a small niche where they happily live, some are easy to recommend to almost anyone.

I will leave it at for the sake of peace :wink:

Edited by Camacha

*snip*

I have 3 Intel builds and only 2 AMD, I'm not a fanboy of either the two companies.

I can appreciate where you are coming from, my browsing and light work PCs are all Intels. Also, i'm sorry things got heated, you have to defend your baby you know...

And besides, for £150 you can't get a better deal than what I got!

Honestly, if my rig were for pure gaming, and not for everyday work and media, I probably would have gone Intel for gaming. However I just could not afford the kind of prices Intel ask for these days. Mobo and Intel CPU at the top of the line are ridiculously expensive.

On another note, I too was once a believer of Intels sheer superiority... Once I moved to AMD, I saw that all is not as simple as I thought.

Something funky is going on with the OP of this topic. Each time I open it on my old laptop the CPU goes to 50% and Firefox just quits responding. It is that page and that page only.

There are quite alot of large images, videos and links on that page.

There are quite alot of large images, videos and links on that page.

Those can be found on other pages too, but nowhere the load is that high and elsewhere the CPU always returns to idle eventually. It appears that something is executed that eats up processor cycles - large images and video's should mainly cause RAM concerns.

My new cooler arrives tomorrow!

It's a H110, and I have some very insane fans for it, rated at 171CFM!! (Near double the rated stock fans)

These 140mm fans have (More than!) double the static pressure of Corsairs SP140s... Needless to say, this should give me some headroom for overclocking past that magical 5GHz :D

These 140mm fans have (More than!) double the static pressure of Corsairs SP140s... Needless to say, this should give me some headroom for overclocking past that magical 5GHz :D

Noctuas? If so, I hope your case hides them :P

Lol, I am never going to get those things again... They are TOO UGLY, MUTHER OF GAWD... THE HUMANITY!

Rumor has it Noctua plans on releasing other color schemes, as well :D

For myself, I rely on six Scythe Gentle Typhoons. Which is, by far, the best name ever given to a fan.

Rumor has it Noctua plans on releasing other color schemes, as well :D

For myself, I rely on six Scythe Gentle Typhoons. Which is, by far, the best name ever given to a fan.

I hope Noctua do change their colours, they may make some decent fans, but my god they should shoot their entire department responsible for such an ungodly awful mess.

Yeah, that's a pretty cool name for fans, whats their static pressure and CFM ratings?

there basicly universally agreed upon as the best fans ever (for WCing)

Unfortunately they do not have the pressure or CFM I need for my processor. When your pumping 300W+ through something the size of a large stamp, you need alot of cooling powah!

Hey guys. I recently bought a gaming pc and want to upgrade it once I've got enough cash. Can you tell me which part(s) should be next in the upgrade list?

Dual Core Intel Core i3 4330 3.5GHz Processor

ASUS H81M-E Motherboard

NVIDIA GTX 650 1GB Graphics Card (1x)

8GB of 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM.

Thanks!

-snip-

Depends, what do you want to do with it?

Personally, i like having a good Chipset so maybe a good ASUS Z87 motherboard would be in order?

Maybe bump up to a GTX 760?(Very cheap lately, will only get cheaper towards Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I wouldnt bother getting a GTX 6XX at this point.)

Depending on what your doing program and game wise, maybe bump up the processor?

Edited by Leonov

Unfortunately they do not have the pressure or CFM I need for my processor. When your pumping 300W+ through something the size of a large stamp, you need alot of cooling powah!

For the 9590, I would use something larger than an H110 anyways. What fans do you use?

I operate those GTs at 7V, using them to pull air through dust filters and a Mugen 2 cooler ...

My gaming build:

Intel Core i5 3570K, soon gonna overclock it.

Asus Sabertooth Z77 board

Asus GeForce GTX 770 (recently upgraded from Radeon HD 6970)

Crucial Ballistix Tactical w/blue or orange LED's 1866MHz (8Gig total)

Corsair H100 cooling with Noctua cooling paste

3x Corsair AF fans

Corsair Carbide 500R, 2x 120mm in the front with LED's, one 200mm on the side with LED's

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Chieftec something power supply 850W (OP i know)

Asus DVD thing-a-ma-jigg (Who cares?)

For input, I have:

Logitech g400 mouse (LOVE IT)

Standard Microsoft keyboard (LOVE IT)

Corsair Vengeance 1500 (LOVE IT)

Xbox 360 Controller (LOVE IT)

Also had a 1TB external harddrive, but I lost it, or it got stolen :c

Also there's blue LED strips around the case, and white LED's in the front fans and the big side fan. Will post pictures of it in a couple of days as I'm currently at my home, away from the computer :P (this is my school computer, which does surprisingly well at KSP for an integrated GPU...)

I have been working on my rig today, but the Windows 7 install seems fubar. It was time for a fresh OS anyway, so Windows 8, here I come!

Fingers crossed.

I would say ether gpu or cpu most likely cpu

oh and I would wait until the new amd gpus come out before I buy one (prices should go down)

Depends very much on what the projected tasks are :)