[0.21] Hooligan Labs - Airship, Submarines and More

Hooligan Labs

So......

KSP is really the first game I have ever been into enough to be bother to actually join forums and whatnot...

Could someone tell me how to post a screenshot.....

and if we could keep that laughing at me to a dull roar while doing so that would be super =P

With 0.20 I decided to start new. I also decided to redesign my 2 main airships from the ground up around the Cirrus (I don't have pics of my old airships...gonna do much better this time about documenting my builds and missions)

Ran into a bit of a problem......

This is a fast 'proof of concept' kinda build that was gonna eventualy become the new DLA Goliath, my duna flagship...

xjk7LGO.png

upon launch I see that ive created possible the most costly runway examination tool...

uxq8Op0.png

playing with the pitch and altitude controls didn't do any good....kinda just made the ship wiggle on the ground

sk561Hg.png

Both my old flagships had Ray envelopes on the sides, but they did also have some on top...

Is mounting the Cirrus like this gonna be impossible, or am I just overlooking something?

Both my old flagships had Ray envelopes on the sides, but they did also have some on top...

Is mounting the Cirrus like this gonna be impossible, or am I just overlooking something?

It'll have to look into it, but it is possible that the Cirrus outperforms so much that it's not usable in this case. 1% lift of a Cirrus is enough to lift over 2 tons on Kerbin. I will have to update the tables on the front page.

I'm considering a rewrite of the code with a much improved pitch control... but it would take a lot of time. D:

It'll have to look into it, but it is possible that the Cirrus outperforms so much that it's not usable in this case. 1% lift of a Cirrus is enough to lift over 2 tons on Kerbin. I will have to update the tables on the front page.

I spent most of an evening trying to get a ship with nuclear engines to SSTO with Cirrus. I did not succeed, but some of the results achieved along the way were, well, fairly crazy. :)

1. If your ship is sufficiently heavy, and sometimes even if it isn't, Cirrus can and often will tear off the part it's attached to and run away with it, if you increase lift to 100% straight away. More than one Cirrus is even more likely to entirely disintegrate your ship if you do that.
  2. If you're careful about gradually increasing buoyancy of the Cirrus, or strutting your vehicle really hard, (You can't run a strut from a deployable envelope, but you can run a strut TO an envelope) by the time the actual envelope lift is zero, and the envelope(s) fold back, you still have about 300m/s vertical speed, or possibly more, depending on your mass. (Enough envelopes can get you reentry effects on ascent, not to mention the G forces.) It really does carry you into orbit by sheer inertia. At the moment vertical speed reaches zero, you're typically somewhere around 35km ASL, and nuclear engine ISP is already 799 out of 800 possible at that altitude, and there's no drag to speak of anymore either. :) Unfortunately the TWR of most reasonable configurations of nukes and tanks on Kerbin does not exceed 0.6, (Yes, I even tried doing it with just a seat without a command pod) so actually SSTOing with them does not quite work -- not enough thrust, otherwise, going to the Mun and back by airship would be perfectly reasonable. It should, however, be much easier to get to work on Laythe.
  3. Sticking 8 envelopes onto the ends of girders around an octostrut horizontally without strutting the girders to each other creates phantom force resonances that make the envelopes wiggle and thrash about the moment you inflate them and destroy everything they touch, it looks like a starfish in mad rage. :)
  4. Getting more than two envelopes to interpenetrate when inflated can be really dangerous for the same reason - Kraken bait. Two seem to remain in working order.

Edited by Mihara
reworded

So......

KSP is really the first game I have ever been into enough to be bother to actually join forums and whatnot...

Could someone tell me how to post a screenshot.....

and if we could keep that laughing at me to a dull roar while doing so that would be super =P

I use tinypic.com to upload them, though technically there's probably a native image upload function somewhere around here.

Use F1 while in-game to make a screenshot, the screenshot will appear in the game directory in "screenshots".

That's the same problem I had. What I discovered was the cockpit I was using pointed forward but the nav ball pointed down. I see in your case the nav ball is pointing up. Try aligning the cockpit to see if you get better results.

Once I figured that I also had the problem of too much torque with too little control over the pitch amount. Jumping by a percent was enough to swing it madly in the opposite direction. In the end I used smaller envelopes and placed them closer to the centre of mass.

Finally managed it. Eve SSTO accomplished after numerous trials and errors:

screenshot73-2_zps766c69f1.png

I think this new balloon is a winner.

What was your ascent profile like? I was engaging my rocket when my velocity dropped to about 100m/s. That was about 40km up in Eve's atmo. I was keeping it pointed straight up till the balloons closed, then pitched over to a turn. I still keep running out of fuel just out of atmosphere before my circularization burn with my lander.

I'll read more about the missions soon..

In the meantime, your big shields and runways are back in action for 0.20!

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/hl-portable-runways-and-landing-pads/

I heard that 0.20.1 breaks png based parts, which just about all of mine are, so I have not tested it there.

BTW, testing the runways by, you know, launching them with rockets:

lFxjL8Z.png

Edited by Hooligan Labs

I spent most of an evening trying to get a ship with nuclear engines to SSTO with Cirrus. I did not succeed, but some of the results achieved along the way were, well, fairly crazy. :)

Most of my designs 'drop' the balloons when they cease to provide lift (have done experiments on optimal launch here)

I should be able to get a no-drop to orbit pretty easily, will have a go shortly.. watch this space.

edit: 18:30

Yep. Nailed it. First go ;)

In VAB:

screenshot353_zpsf74fccb3.png

In orbit:

screenshot352_zpsbf772490.png

.craft pending.

Edited by kahlzun

I should be able to get a no-drop to orbit pretty easily, will have a go shortly.. watch this space.

Orbit is easy enough and engines other than LV-N work better. :) The point of trying to do that with LV-N was to get a no-drop up with enough delta-v left over to get to the Mun and back.

What was your ascent profile like? I was engaging my rocket when my velocity dropped to about 100m/s. That was about 40km up in Eve's atmo. I was keeping it pointed straight up till the balloons closed, then pitched over to a turn. I still keep running out of fuel just out of atmosphere before my circularization burn with my lander.

Balloon ascent to 30 km up, engaged full on the engines, straight up to around 45 km then gravity turn to 45 degrees into orbit, being horizontal at around 85 km up aiming for 110km orbit, retracting balloons at 42 km to improve steering.

This thing does only just get into orbit as well, there's fuel to circularise and maybe minor manoeuvres, but it isn't going far without it's tugboat.

Wow, I've been fiddling with this for a while now and built myself a nice Kerbin Explorer. As soon as I get my USB stick back I'll post some screenies. I'm proud of it.

However, recently I seem to have lost the knack of getting anything either into Orbit or onto the Mun. I think it is probably due to seeing all Y'alls designs and trying to built bigger and better. Think I'll give the game a break for a while and start over with a simple satelite and work my way up. Great mod, and I enjoy seeing other peoples creations. Also, I see this build didn't include the Pre-Built craft, I was hoping to use one as a example to get to Duna

Also, I see this build didn't include the Pre-Built craft, I was hoping to use one as a example to get to Duna

Fixed, new upload is on kerbalspaceport! It was an oversight. I also updated it so the craft have anchors again, that's back in KAS.

Notice how much forum posters drive my mod development though. :)

Notice how much forum posters drive my mod development though. :)

It's actually really good, you've made a good product that I was looking for for **AGES**, and you're personable and approachable!

It's actually really good, you've made a good product that I was looking for for **AGES**, and you're personable and approachable!

:cool:

Whatever happened to the 'Mega'? I am fully curious now!

It was so big that everyone despaired of ever actually being able to mount it. It was never actually usable and was eventually removed.

ahappydude put about that much lift in a modeled party balloon and strapped it to a kerbonaut. He was last seen slingshotting from the Mun.