Any good solar panel mods for version .17?

If all you want is cool-looking solar panels and don't actually need energy (i.e. the station is powered entirely off rocket engines and don't plan or care to use ion engine), then just use straight up PowerTech solar panels. They do in fact work in .17, though I think the only broken part is that they can't be retracted (so be careful if you try reentry). Also, I have not tried the "Power" part of PowerTech, instead using the Kreuzung energy plugin, so I don't know if that aspect works.

If you want ion engines and such to work with them, read on.

states 0.15 and 0.16 only, certainly i am having a great deal of difficulty finding panel, battery and ion engines that work all together.

What I am doing is using the most recent Kreuzung energy plugin with the Deep Space Mission pack.

http://www.kerbal.net/mod.php?id=9

http://www.kerbal.net/mod.php?id=4

Then if you want an additional ion engine/battery, go get the Mechanical Mouse Industries satellite pack and edit the ion engine and external batteries to be compatible with the Kreuzung energy mod (just open up the config file of the Deep Space ion engine and batteries for the proper layout and edit the config of the MMI parts to match, only thing that needs to be changed is the module type, and the stuff at the ends of each. Pretty easy to figure out simply by looking, but ask and I'll copy exactly what I changed)

As far as solar panels, the Deep Space pack comes with one that works. I am currently looking into the PowerTech-based ones to determine if PowerTech works in .17 and to determine if those panels can be used for Kreuzung energy.

Update:

The PowerTech mod appears to still work in .17 at least for animation of solar panels extending. As such, you can take the last chunk of code from the Deep Space solar panel and throw it onto the end of any PowerTech solar panel and it will produce energy, but make sure to not change the module type or any of the PowerTech code (and be sure to have the PowerTech plugin).

However, this is just thrown together. While the panels will unfold using the PowerTech animation code, it will produce full power constantly regardless of if the solar panels or extended or if there is any light shining on them. Regardless, if all you want is a cool-looking setup that has the soul of ion-engines and solar panels, then this will work.

Finally, I think one of Kreuzung's most recent updates for Kreuzung's energy plugin allowed for animation, so soon they might have folding panels that run purely off of Kreuzung's Energy plugin and aren't hobbled together.

Edited by Katamari
Got more info

I just got the DynaSat fix pack and that worked right away, has nice folding solarpanels and the ion engines work too :3 got a few satellites going around of which one scanned half of the planets in his life. The ions are damn weak and course changes take forever but whatever, unlimited fuel ftw :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.