what do you think about "Orbiter"

Pawelk198604

what do you think about "Orbiter" , i think it was awesome, but when i recently installed it i have some compatibility problem on My Windows 8. I liked especially Vostok/Voskhod, Mercury and Apollo add-on. But i never made successful TLI not to mention interplanetary flights.

But KSP is another story today i made successful flight to Jool, without MechJeb, i mean almost i used Planetary Phase angle calculator to get good interplanetary burn. I was forced to use Ion engine to enter Jool Orbit, it's working slow but served it's purpose . unfortunately i lowered perapis to low and my probe crashed on Jool. Fortunately i saved the saves when i was on High orbit around Jool:-)

PS What is the best altitude to areobrake Jool???

for one, I think without Orbiter KSP wouldn't even exist :rolleyes:

Harvester and I started out flying MSFS, and then Orbiter - it was tough back then, and still is! - full-scale spaceflight is not for those who expect to go flying seat-of-the-pants all the way

anyhow, this greater serving of complexity dealt by Orbiter (in comparison to most other titles) was in some morbid way, the thing that inspired the somewhat cruel sense of humor you'll find in most Kerbal spaceflight endeavours :D

I also think Orbiter is pretty awesome!

cheers!

for one, I think without Orbiter KSP wouldn't even exist :rolleyes:

Harvester and I started out flying MSFS, and then Orbiter - it was tough back then, and still is! - full-scale spaceflight is not for those who expect to go flying seat-of-the-pants all the way

anyhow, this greater serving of complexity dealt by Orbiter (in comparison to most other titles) was in some morbid way, the thing that inspired the somewhat cruel sense of humor you'll find in most Kerbal spaceflight endeavours :D

I also think Orbiter is pretty awesome!

cheers!

Yeah orbiter was great:-)

But it little too complex, i only knew how raise and lower orbit, i tried several times to land on the Moon, i used Apollo add-on but always missed it. It was to complex for me/

• 2 weeks later...

Orbiter is awesome, but comparing it to KSP is apples and oranges.

Orbiter is all about learning how to pilot. The only way to create your own ships is by the equivalent of making a Kerbal mod.

Kerbal is educational about rocket design. And about piloting. You can make your own ships by assembling modular parts within the game, no mods required.

A minor point is that there are absolutely no weapons in Orbiter. The developer forbids it. But I've seen a few weapons in the Kerbal mods repositories.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved Orbiter It helped me an insane way before I started KSP. Orbiter is insanely realistic! It always brought me fun, and rage at the same time. Also I think without them the KSP community would be alot smaller. Also orbiter is alot more realistic with TLI,and inter-planetary travel. Allthough I only mastered TLI. Since KSP haven't played Orbiter since.

• 1 year later...

I've tried it a long time ago and it struck me as a very boring, user-unfriendly program with bad graphics. I understand its superiority over some things, but it didn't seem right for me.

I didn't need Orbiter to learn how to pilot in KSP. I knew enough Newtonian mechanics to quickly get a hand of it.

I loved Orbiter, but since it was my first serious collision with orbital mechanics, it took a couple of years to learn how to play it and do anything of note. Boy was that sim complicated. My proudest achievements in that game were 1) manually flying the Delta Glider from Cape Canaveral to a rendezvous/dock with the ISS in 3/4 of an orbit, and 2) flying the Space: 1999 Eagle transporter from Cape Canaveral to the ISS for refueling, then on to the Moon where I landed at Moonbase Alpha (they were mods). Again, all manually. That last one was the hardest thing I've ever done in a simulator, and it took many saves and restarts to get it right. What a sense of accomplishment!

What KSP adds is a level of playfulness and accessibility, which were in very short supply in Orbiter!

And that XR2 Ravenstar was super fun to fly:

4986594932_1fc8d9bb7f_b.jpg

Edited by pebble_garden

Orbiter is a fine game but I think it started to stall out. I played and created add-ons for it since its very first days. My add-ons were all scifi and really broke the laws of physics in the game but were a lot of fun and included quite a few innovations and firsts for the game. I dumped it all when I discovered KSP and haven't gone back since.

I've tried it a long time ago and it struck me as a very boring, user-unfriendly program with bad graphics. I understand its superiority over some things, but it didn't seem right for me.

I didn't need Orbiter to learn how to pilot in KSP. I knew enough Newtonian mechanics to quickly get a hand of it.

I beg to differ.

City2.jpg

City1.jpg

Jumper.jpg

BSG_2.gif

SpacePark.gif

SGUShuttleV1.jpg

manifest1.jpg

That's just a few of the ships.

I've played Orbiter on and off since 2008, but I found it very difficult compared to KSP. I could go to the Moon, but no further, the TransX and Interplanetary MDFs were too complicated compared to KSP's style of calculating an interplanetary burn.

I always went to other planets in it with the Warp Drive MFD, but I really enjoyed the realistic recreation of the Vostok missions. After reading through the included Vostok capsule manual, I managed to make Gagarin defect to America :D.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.