[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

64-bit KSP version crashed at the start with B9 R4.0c (Player.log/KSP.log do not show anything useful), x86 version works fine... i guess it is time to use reduced textures =\

I have the same problem, someone fingered the PNG textures to being to blame some of the time, due to unity bugs. Linux problem only...

As I've said multiple times, not going to happen, KSP can't support multiple wheel axes per part.

I really understand nothing about the engine, but isn't there a workaround such as graphically having three wheels, but the code interpreting it as a single wheel with buffed specs?

As I've said multiple times, not going to happen, KSP can't support multiple wheel axes per part.

Is it possible to do just a multi-axle model but have only one axle actually active? Stiffness and brake power, etc could then be increased to match a 3-axle gear or so. I have no idea if that is possible but I guess most players do not care for actually having 3 axles but to get a gear that can take more weight and doesn't look out of place.

I really understand nothing about the engine, but isn't there a workaround such as graphically having three wheels, but the code interpreting it as a single wheel with buffed specs?

And what's the point in that when it will be exactly as stable as every single wheel I have already added?

So you are not able to increase stability as much as you want since there is a cap of sorts?

There is no stability parameter at all, and trying to improve it through means of adding multiple wheel axes per part is not possible either.

0.23 update

No release estimate at the moment.

Edited by bac9

Wheel placement determines stability. If you have three wheels, but two of them are non-functional cosmetic additions, it will be exactly as stable as just using the single, fully functional wheel by itself.

Correct. In addition to that, wheels actually aren't behaving like wheels in most games (including KSP). Wheels are essentially one ray shooting downwards and expecting the contact on a certain distance, not a simulated circle or a cylinder at all - which is why wheels never work properly when tilted and should always be installed strictly perpendicular to the runway if you don't want unexpected jumps.

Correct. In addition to that, wheels actually aren't behaving like wheels in most games (including KSP). Wheels are essentially one ray shooting downwards and expecting the contact on a certain distance, not a simulated circle or a cylinder at all - which is why wheels never work properly when tilted and should always be installed strictly perpendicular to the runway if you don't want unexpected jumps.

I see, so that means the perceived instability "due to weight" is more a matter of the rest of the structure (i. e. wings) bending under the weight, therefore angling the gear, therefore destabilizing the whole thing in the process?

I see, so that means the perceived instability "due to weight" is more a matter of the rest of the structure (i. e. wings) bending under the weight, therefore angling the gear, therefore destabilizing the whole thing in the process?

That can be one of the reasons, yep. You can always bump weight limit on the parts so see if it helps, but it's not going to solve some situations like those.

I know you've said this before and each time you said it I've been asking myself the same thing: How where the caterpillar tracks made? Those are multiple axis, aren't they?

I know you've said this before and each time you said it I've been asking myself the same thing: How where the caterpillar tracks made? Those are multiple axis, aren't they?

Nope. They're single axis that just LOOKs like multi-axis. If you get the absolute center off the ground, the whole contraption stops.

Nope. They're single axis that just LOOKs like multi-axis. If you get the absolute center off the ground, the whole contraption stops.

"... that just LOOKs like multi-axis." I guess there is the ultimate answer then. Fake it, take a shot cut. If it works and looks the part why not?

And what's the point in that when it will be exactly as stable as every single wheel I have already added?

No idea, just spitballing :)

But I think they weren't talking about stability, but overall strength to support the loads of heavy planes.

For stability problems, try Ferram Joint Reinforcement. That makes both rockets and planes much more rigid.

date of 0.23 update ?

He said, a page ago, that he doesn't have one. On the other hand, it seems that nobody asked, what is planned for 0.23 update?

Bac9: You said you're sitting on a pile of unreleased parts. What exactly did you mean? Could you give us a "sneak peek" of them?

You said you're sitting on a pile of unreleased parts. What exactly did you mean? Could you give us a "sneak peek" of them?

GunEC6rm.png

ZRUiPz8m.png

3tZUOMOm.png

3egtHhnm.jpg

x4xfzzym.png

xrqBSm5m.png

(for scale - those are four 3.75m tanks slotted inside the hollow section on the last screenshot)

Edited by bac9