[20/11/2014][0.25] FTmN Atomic Rockets

Kommitz

Woah, woah, the lasted update broke my save. There used to be a 2.5 meter toridal fuel tank included right? Or am I on the wrong mod? Plus, I liked those tanks a lot….

Oh, err sorry about that. I should've mentioned that in the first post.

It just slipped my mind and I was working on the assumption that people would just drag & drop the folder without deleting the old install first.

I'm just in the process of re-texturing and making a couple of other tanks to go with it.

EDIT: Re-added the tank to the pack for now.

Edited by Kommitz

Am I just being an idiot, or is there no download link? I see the Double-Nerva link, but not the FTMN link.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/fatman-series-atomic-rockets/

EDIT It was the bold text at the top first post like in a red color FTmN series Nuclear Rockets

and at the bottom of the first post there are 2 FTmN Atomic Rockets // Octagonal Truss & Structural Parts

and the 1 you found.

Edited by Mecripp2

For those asking for Real Fuels compatibility of the engines, the module used to display effects by the FTmN engines makes it impossible to add some RF configs.

So I decided to replace those effects and rollback to the old ones with a Module Manager config and add RealFuels configuration myself, with pure Hydrogen mode, pure Methane, pure Ammonia and LOX-augmented Hydrogen, and utilisation of NuclearFuel. I also adjusted the weight of the engines to give them a TWR around 7 when in pure Hydrogen mode, and ISP/thrust are using realistic multipliers when switching fuels.

Download

Current version : 0.1.1 (06/03/2014)

Installation instructions :

To install this small modification, download the file and drop it somewhere in the GameData folder. For instance, in my install, I use a zzz_tweaks folder which contains ALL my ModuleManager files, in order to visually see in which order modifications are applied.

Tested with FTmN Atomic Rockets 23/02/2014, RealFuels v4.3 and ModuleManager v1.5.6

Licensing :

Regarding the license, I decided to let anybody be able to do whatever the hell they want to, so I used the CC0 "license", as indicated in the file.

Version history :

• 0.1.1 (06/03/2014) :
    • Various fixes to effects redefinitions
    • Removed ISP at 0.1atm to deal with some RealFuels limitations

• 0.1.0 (05/03/2014) :
    • ​First release
    • Added RealFuels compatibility for all FTmN engines (Hydrogen, Methane, Ammonia and LOX-Augmented Hydrogen)
    • Replaced ModuleEnginesFX with ModuleEngines and redefined effects accordingly
    • Modified toroïdal tank to support RealFuels

​

As usual, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I'm not sure if these configs are balanced and there may be some bugs introduced by the modifications...

Edited by Eagleshift
Updated to version 0.1.1 (various fixes)

For those asking for Real Fuels compatibility of the engines, the module used to display effects by the FTmN engines makes it impossible to add some RF configs.

So I decided to replace those effects and rollback to the old ones with a Module Manager config and add RealFuels configuration myself, with pure Hydrogen mode, pure Methane, pure Ammonia and LOX-augmented Hydrogen, and utilisation of NuclearFuel. I also adjusted the weight of the engines to give them a TWR around 7 when in pure Hydrogen mode, and ISP/thrust are using realistic multipliers when switching fuels.

Download

Current version : 0.1.0 (05/03/2014)

Installation instructions :

To install this small modification, download the file and drop it somewhere in the GameData folder. For instance, in my install, I use a zzz_tweaks folder which contains ALL my ModuleManager files, in order to visually see in which order modifications are applied.

Tested with FTmN Atomic Rockets 23/02/2014, RealFuels v4.3 and ModuleManager v1.5.6

Licensing :

Regarding the license, I decided to let anybody be able to do whatever the hell they want to, so I used the CC0 "license", as indicated in the file.

Version history :

• 0.1.0 (05/03/2014) :
    • ​First release
    • Added RealFuels compatibility for all FTmN engines (Hydrogen, Methane, Ammonia and LOX-Augmented Hydrogen)
    • Replaced ModuleEnginesFX with ModuleEngines and redefined effects accordingly
    • Modified toroïdal tank to support RealFuels

​

As usual, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I'm not sure if these configs are balanced and there may be some bugs introduced by the modifications...

Thanks for working on this!

Did notice a few bugs however. First of all, the ISP scales the wrong way, it starts at 280ish and then goes down untill you reach the upper atmosphere. Above 40km it starts climbing back to its final value. I fixed it by removing the middle keypoint of the ISP scale. Apparently Realfuels doesn't like engines with too much keyframes.

Secondly, the effects aren't fully deleted. As you launch one of the nuclear engines it still has the orange flame, but it is unrelated to the throttle. This can be fixed by turning the:

!EFFECTS
[*] {}

line into:

!EFFECTS {}

Modulemanager doesn't recognize the Effects module otherwise.

Thanks Ralathon, I'll update the download as soon as I'm finished working, or when my boss won't be on my back anymore !

Until then, if anyone has another bug to report, I'll be glad to read it and include the fix in the next version.

Would a git repository be appropriate for this ? Allowing people to branch and edit the code withotu having to patch manually would be less of a hassle :)

EDIT: Updated download to reflect necessary changes exposed by Ralathon !

Edited by Eagleshift
Bumpedit

• 5 weeks later...

I'm having a problem after updating to the latest version of the mod. Most of the ships I have built using the ftmn280 engine can no longer find it, even though it's in the correct file path KSP\GameData\kommit_nucleonics\parts\engines\ftmn280. Only one ship seems to load now, the rest say that the engine is missing (locked or invalid parts) and won't load. I checked in the science center and the parts are unlocked. Plus there's one ship that will load and the engine works fine.

I did remove an older version before upgrading, perhaps that's the problem? KSP Mod Admin says it's missing too, even on the one ship that will still load which is strange. If I try to click on the part in KSP Mod Admin, it acts like it can't find the config file for the part. Even though again, the file is in the correct file path. I'm stumped! :confused:

So I've had an idea since the ARM release about the FTmN 280 since there are two 2.5 m engines, why not rescale it, change thrust and isp to make it for 3.75 m parts?

I played around a little with the config, gave it a mass of 11.2, a thrust of 480 and a vacuum isp of 835 but this is of course just my first thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...

The nodes were not properly changed on the ftmn280, they're default node size instead of "2" making them very weak, 40 is missing "1" as well, easy to fix yourself but worth mentioning I think.

Edited by K3|Chris

The nodes were not properly changed on the ftmn280, they're default node size instead of "2" making them very weak, 40 is missing "1" as well, easy to fix yourself but worth mentioning I think.

Can you tell me exactly what do I need to edit to include these things?

280:

node_stack_top = 0.0, 2.215, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -2.396, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

40:

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.969984, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.476255, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

280:

node_stack_top = 0.0, 2.215, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -2.396, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

40:

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.969984, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.476255, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

Thanks a lot!

I'm having a problem after updating to the latest version of the mod. Most of the ships I have built using the ftmn280 engine can no longer find it, even though it's in the correct file path KSP\GameData\kommit_nucleonics\parts\engines\ftmn280. Only one ship seems to load now, the rest say that the engine is missing (locked or invalid parts) and won't load. I checked in the science center and the parts are unlocked. Plus there's one ship that will load and the engine works fine.

I did remove an older version before upgrading, perhaps that's the problem? KSP Mod Admin says it's missing too, even on the one ship that will still load which is strange. If I try to click on the part in KSP Mod Admin, it acts like it can't find the config file for the part. Even though again, the file is in the correct file path. I'm stumped! :confused:

Err, I'm not really sure what's happening there either. Try a clean install?

All that I could imagine is that you updated from a really old version of the mod and the engine is entirely different. But I'm not sure.

So I've had an idea since the ARM release about the FTmN 280 since there are two 2.5 m engines, why not rescale it, change thrust and isp to make it for 3.75 m parts?

I played around a little with the config, gave it a mass of 11.2, a thrust of 480 and a vacuum isp of 835 but this is of course just my first thoughts.

I think I will change up the balance between parts in my next update. It'll be a while though.

~Future Updates~

With Spaceport going away I'm going to take the opportunity to change up the engines significantly, so the next update will probably replace the old engines outright and be balanced with the new stock parts sizes in mind.

I'd like to (finally) switch them over to dedicated fuel sources (either LiquidFuel or something new and stock themed like CryoFuel (as a kerbally Hydrogen)) and therefore make a few tanks to go with them/package a fuel tank plugin with them.

I'll probably re-do the toroidal and clustered tanks and post them up in my other release thread too.

I'll try to keep the new part IDs seperate so that you can continue using the old engines for as long as they continue working.

While I'm working on updating the fatmen, you can take a look at some side projects that I'm doing for fun: Nuclear Rockets [WIP]

I'm also thinking about whether I want to host my parts on Curse or elsewhere from now on. I'll likely just start using mediafire and keeping the downloads indexed in the first post.

Edited by Kommitz

When looking at that quad LV-N, I can't help but switch to a japanese accent and say "Nice Body~" :D

As for the fuel rework - can two mods declare the same resource without conflicting? If so, you could potentially coordinate with Near Future Propulsion. Nertea is going to be shipping optional MM configs for all known NTRs that use classic LF/oxidizer, switching them to LiquidHydrogen. Not the gaseous hydrogen NFP currently has, but the actual liquid H2 that's replacing it in the pending update. I had the privilege of testing it, and it worked quite nicely - you just need to get used to physically larger fuel tanks, due to the low density of hydrogen :P

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.