Hawkinator's almost-multiplayer pass along the save file challenge thingy.

Rescue? Seems like someone did the wrong mission, with an earlier save. The mission was not to save anyone, but to get something up into space ;) See below:

Another tip: The launcher has enough delta-V to get into an 75k orbit, which will be stable. Atleast if you use some of the monopropellant to help at the end.

Next mission: On the launch-pad you will find a rocket with a probe on it. This one if ment to colide into Duna - Get it into orbit, must be a stable LKO. The next one should get it docked to the Duna-convoy. The engineers had a strict budget, so they had to cut the fuel short for this mission. So do your best with the limited fuel. (~4k Delta-V).

My plan was to dock it with the Dube-Hanitat, this might cause the habitat to be off-balance, so we need to bare carefull when launching it to Duna.

Important: Do not use the last solid-booster as is is ment to be used to deorbit the probe.

Pro tips:

- It does not have enough delta-V to reach LKO alone, but it is close. You will need to use one of the space-thugs out there (for instance found at shive-station), make the thug pick up the Duna-collision probe while it is on a sub-orbital trajectory and bring it back into a stable orbit while still having enough fuel to bring it to the Duna-convoy.

It would be smart to put the thus into a LKO before launching, and launch when the thug is at the right place to make it easier.

This might be a hard and challanging mission - but I managed to complete it myself. So it is possible :)

Click here to download save

Ok ill do this challenge as im tired of waiting for it to be completed

update:

That little probe has enough DV to make it into a 70,000m orbit if you gravity turn just before 10,000m and stay on your prograde untill you reach a ap of 70,000 i now have the luxury of bringing a ship into range

Update 2: I have docked with the prob with what i think is the Charon it has the 2 nuke engines with the port between them. time to get this probe to the duna habitat

Update 3: I have docked with the Act Corp. Habitat i am now at work on my challenge. :wink:

Edited by Actzoltan

Out of curiosity, which Shiva docked ship did you manage the assist with?

The Charon, small and easy. And with 2 nuclear engines and loads of monopropelant it is easy to dock with. To do this without a stable orbit is all about timing the launch perfectly, so that when you get outside the atmosphere you will be really close to the thug - and then just switch to the thug and complete the docking. It needs to happend quite fast, as the nuclear engines are quite bad if you enter atmosphere.

Ok ill do this challenge as im tired of waiting for it to be completed

Great :D Good luck, and I reccomend using the Charon found at Shiva station for picking it up.

Edited by etse

Challenge #56 Complete

total kerbals lost: 1

vessels lost: 6

Extra-Kerbin landings: 3

Got the Duna Collission probe into low orbit

screenshot59.png

The Charon has sortied

screenshot61.png

Charon has captured the Duna Collission probe

screenshot66.png

Docked with the Act Corp. Duna Habitat

screenshot75.png

The Act Corp. Geosync Refuel is ready to launch!

screenshot78.png

This is where you dock with the Act Corp. Station.

screenshot79.png

My Challenge is:

(Warning this craft on the pad has about 550 parts.)

1. Get the Act Corp. Geosync Reful into low orbit 60-77,000m

2. Set up a docking encounter with the Act Corp. Station in geosynchronous orbit.

3. Dock with the Act Corp. Station (if unable to go ahead and kill relative velocity and pass it to the next challenger within your challenge.)

4. Manually separate the mainsail engine fuel stack from the Act Corp. Station we wont need it.

Flight Tips:

1. Understand the stageing.

2. Watch the fuel tanks.

3. When around 7000-8000m start a slow grav turn then after 11,000m follow just behind the prograde marker.

4. When you separate from the main mainsail engine control from the docking port at the front.

5. manually separate the nuke engine when it is not needed.

6. use the attached space tug on the Act Corp. Station to line up the docking port and rotate the Station as needed.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-_wvk1PMfr9ZlZhWHlVY29jemM/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Actzoltan
Edited my craft to launch wrong docking port and upside down separator

NEVERMIND!

Fortunately the ship didn't lose engines randomly this time, but even with all that lift power, RCS fuel was just too much to ask.

The ship isn't capable of changing direction without engine power. I put it in a 120km orbit and piloted the Charon on over to provide the needed RCS fuel. I was then able to use the Charon's twin nuclear engines rendezvous with the Duna station in geo, although this did end up eating into some of the fueler's supply. Once there, I was faced with another problem. No other docking ports, so no way to dock while piloting the fuel tank. Goody. I switched over to the Duna station and tediously maneuvered it in to dock with the tank.

ljwhwhA.png

In one of the finest works of Kerbal magic and piloting I've ever achieved, I got it perfectly lined up with docking in 3...2...1... oh wait. The docking node doesn't work. It's just bounces off.

I don't have the patience to deal with this one any further, and I feel as though the challenge is broken. It just isn't fun. If you were able to pull this one off Act, bravo. You are a far more patient person than I am. I didn't want to go rebuilding your ship again, and I already had the feeling I wasn't doing things the way you wanted them done anyway. Someone else can take a stab at this one if they wish.

Edited by Jenkinz

You did a good job, man; I didn't have to do too much to get it in place. :)

Challenge #57 complete

Total Kerbals lost: 1

Vessels recycled: 7

We've completed the docking process, with grit and determination:

NQnnPfis.png vFkciC4s.png ZwMGeTPs.png

The Charon has returned to Shiva station after a bit of aerobraking, and pulled the last of the fuel from the orange fuel module. The module was evacuated and put on a suborbital trajectory. The station has a small reserve onboard, but will need more eventually.

4WrrrGel.png

"Folks need heroes; they give them hope."

For this mission, the Blue Eagle is waiting on the runway. She is a combination of a communications satellite and rover/glider designed for Eve. The rover/glider was able to take off at 45m/s during testing on Kerbin (which should give her much more capability on Eve than my previous ones), can transport three Kerbals in comfort, and has an aft docking port in the event that she needs to be refueled. She (probably) cannot get to Eve by herself, but we have 70days to address that issue, so just get her into a 350km parking orbit for now (please also add a transfer alarm if using Kerbal Alarm Clock).

P3J9oHx.png

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6828vVl_-ZoYU0yb1NCQzk5Q2s/edit?usp=sharing

That red line is pointing at the wrong stage, ignore it.

(Optional) Command has been having trouble getting in touch with Jenlorf on Laythe, so they would also like you to build a PROBE MOTHERSHIP to deploy communications satellites among Jool and her moons. They must all have at least one Communitron 88 (the dish), but other than that anything goes! Good luck, brave kerbonaughts!

Sorry about that Jenkinz i did hide a docking port behind the nuke engine fuel tank for the space tug at the station to attach to for the final docking. I over engineered the thing i should have put a rcs tank on it. Also a docking port and solar panels on the large orange tank which is a bomb waiting to blow up kerbals.

Challenge Accepted!

Update: I was able to get the Blue Eagle into a 350km parking orbit but because i wasted a lot of Delta V getting out of the atmosphere i emptied the nuke engine tank.

I am now working on my challenge.

Edited by Actzoltan

Challenge #58 complete

Got the Blue Eagle into a 350km Orbit but i used up most of the fuel due to a error in the remote control guidance system at KSC

screenshot88.png

I also straightened out the docking at the Station so all the docking ports are locked in.

screenshot87.png

Here is the Act Corp. Jool Com Sat Network.

screenshot89.png

My Challenge:

1. Get the Act Corp. Jool Com Sat Network into a low orbit 70-77,000m

2. Think of a good challenge :)

I added a transfer alarm on the Alarm Clock.

I also fixed my Geo Refuel Craft so there is a docking port on the orange tank and its powered along with a more visible docking port under the nuke engine i didn't add rcs i like the idea of having to dock a external supply.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-_wvk1PMfr9SUU4M25tejY1LTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Actzoltan

Challenge #59 complete

The ACJCSN is in a 75/76km circular orbit around Kerbin.

BTW, good to see I was just missing that rear docking port on the refueler. Am I missing one on the orange tank section of your launch vehicle? As far as I can tell it just winds up floating in space with nearly a full single rockomax tank worth of fuel in it. I guess we can use my garbage truck to deorbit it, but it seems a shame to be so wasteful.

NME6a3M.png

The Shiva Station is in need of fueling, and having a space tug or two around couldn't hurt. I have built a rather large rocket that will easily get a full orange tank to the station even with the most reckless piloting. Plenty more with precision.

NNOAE7p.png

Challenge:

1. Get into orbit and approach Shiva Station

2. Separate the two tugs from the fuel tank and each other, then name them all!

3. Dock the tugs and the fuel tank to the station

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TiHboEU4cOaHBlQkZVSHdORkE/edit

TIPS!

There is a mainsail hiding under all those SRBs. Before launch set the engine thrust to one quarter, which will burn the fuel for that engine close to the rate of the SRBs. Before the stage is exhausted, crank it up to a little over 3/4th (or 100% if you prefer).

The fuel tank has a probe to make docking less of a hassle, and the mainsail engine should be removed prior to docking with the station. Bonus points for docking the Garbage Truck to it for a later deorbit.

Edited by Jenkinz

Finished with the save file. :)

Watch this space...

In orbit...

Aproaching the station...

Docking vectors are refusing to be froody...

Preparing for next challenge...

Uploading files and drafting flight report...

Report submitted below.

Edited by ThePsuedoMonkey

Challenge #60 Complete!

Extra-Kerbin landings: 5 (we forgot the Mun rovers)

The supply module has been successfullydeployed. I didn't think of any serious names for the tugs though (Crazy Ivan and Groovy Garagin maybe? :sticktongue:).

3Qxl5FIl.png

Adfred, Shepmore, and Jonny finally finished post-landing procedures and have ventured onto the surface of the Mun.

ZEf0gMTl.png

Meanwhile, the KPC returned to orbit and was used to transfer the supply module to Shiva station instead of the mainsail. This was supposed to be an attempt at increasing efficiency, but it was mostly annoying. Also, the fuel on the Blue Eagle has been transferred to the posterior tank in order to balance the CoM as close to the lateral docking port as possible. Jenlorf grew bored of his command module, so he took the remaining supplies from the Soyuz and is doing some hiking.

ePvEQ48s.png HRqRfwys.png F6MFrvZs.png LECPKa9s.png UDQkgUas.png Ao6PDYFs.png xTIpP0Ws.png

For the next challenge, we have a Mr Fuelie on the launch pad. Your job will be to rendezvous with the Blue Eagle, where they will await the Eve transfer window (the Mr Fuelie can then be left in Eve orbit as a refueling vessel). There is also the issue of three pieces of debris in LKO (two from the geosynch refueler, and one from the Duna collider), so deorbiting one of them would be helpful. :)

WUehsRY.png

Once in orbit it is capable of moving around 275T to Eve, or simply refueling from the two Rockomax tanks. The nukes will fire after you drop the first stage, as they have a higher Isp than the spikes, and draw from the asparagus stages. Gravity turn is recommended after dropping the second stage. When you drop the final stage on a suborbital trajectory, also decouple the QBE computer from the forward docking port (it's the primary pod, but it's only there to prevent symmetry issues).

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6828vVl_-ZoZ1RrYWRwVVVMaGs/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers!

Psuedo it seems you are using a old save file before my challenge, yet Jenkinz has the correct one. Did you mistakenly upload a duplicate save you used to test your new craft in?

I Accept the Challenge!

Update: i have docked with the Blue Eagle and refueled it. Im going to deorbit some space derbs

Update 2: i have deorbited the geo refuel derbs safely into the ocean. I am now working on my challenge.

Edited by Actzoltan

Challenge #61 Complete!

Extra-Kerbin landings: 5

Docked Mr Fuelie with the Blue Eagle

screenshot0.png

Deorbited the Geo Derbs.

screenshot2.png

The Act Corp. Geosync Refuel is standing by at the the launchpad.

screenshot78.png

This is where you dock at the Act Corp. Station. Once this is done the station i guesstimate 40-80 more tons with a good margin for error to Duna and fuel to spare. 9823 Dv at about 208 tons total with this final fuel tank added.

screenshot5-1.png

My Challenge is:

(Warning this craft on the pad has about 550 parts.)

1. Get the Act Corp. Geosync Refuel into low orbit 70-80,000m

2. Set up a docking encounter with the Act Corp. Station in geosynchronous orbit.

5. Seperate from the orange tank when it has 200 fuel left so it can deorbit.

3. Dock with the Act Corp. Station (if unable to go ahead and kill relative velocity and pass it to the next challenger within your challenge.)

4. Use the space tug attached to the Act Corp. Station to dock the Geo Refuel. (The Docking port is under the Nuke Engine Fuel Tank)

5. Dont break the station.

Flight Tips:

1. Understand the stageing.

2. Watch the fuel tanks.

3. When around 10,000m start a slow grav turn then after 20,000m slowly follow just behind the prograde marker.

4. When you separate from the main mainsail engine control from the docking port at the front.

5. manually separate the nuke engine when it is not needed.

6. use the attached space tug on the Act Corp. Station to line up the docking port and rotate the Station as needed.

7. There is a docking port under the nuke engine fuel tank.

8. The Orange tank can deorbit itself if it has enough fuel it also has docking ports if it still has fuel left over.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-_wvk1PMfr9clM4S1FRSE5yR1U/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Actzoltan

Challenge #62 Complete!

Extra-Kerbin Landings: 5

In spite of a never-ending eclipse, the Geosynchronous station has been given its required fuel for its journey; though I will have to defer to others for future events with it. I have also fixed an issue with the Mun landing flights clipping under the terrain. Bill and Jeb continue their adventure through the mountains, though have found little of interest over the last few days.

jLiTfiAl.png

wqqXXvwl.png

With the update to 0.20, command has purchased a rather nice modular interplanetary tug/remote station which includes the reinforced docking ports and the state-of-the-art command pod. Your job will be to launch it into a high orbit, and design a supplementary fuel/propulsion system for use on heavy hauling jobs.

nYv9BY9.jpg

The Valkyrie sits at 150 parts on the pad; her orbital stage is 66 tons, has a wealth of docking ports, and provides 7.3km/s of dV. Toggle outer engine gimbals with action group 1. Launch with the throttle at 2/3 to prevent shaking, and don't trust ASAS in atmo.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6828vVl_-ZoQmlIUUlGTFBlTEE/edit?usp=sharing

With all these transfers piling up, I think we should have each challenge time-warp a bit to speed 'em up. Maybe we can time-warp so that at least 24 hours passes for each challenge (except for things like transfer windows and such)? Cheers!

Challenge Accepted!

Update: got the Valkyrie into a high orbit and deorbited the orange tank with the garbage truck im now working on the engine section. I have also time accelerated 24 hours.

Update 2: Im still working on an ambitious fuel stage for the interplanetary tug Valkyrie.

Update 3: Still fighting with this heavy fuel stage XD its about 2000 tons on the pad atm im trying to get about 450 tons into orbit i can get it up to 22,000m currently. If you want me to just upload the save file so we can continue i will. Oh and its about 1400 parts i think i would be the only one to put it into orbit :P if i can finish it but once it ready to be docked it will go down to about 200 parts.

Edited by Actzoltan

Challenge #63 Complete!

Extra-Kerbin Landings: 5

Got the Valkyrie to a high orbit and deorbited the orange tank attached.

screenshot9-1.png

my dreams of launching this into orbit to rendezvous with the Valkyrie have been set aside :( i couldn't get the 450 ton payload passed 23,000m next challenger you lucked out....

It would have been nice to have a extra 12,000 DV on the Valkyrie maybe after i perfect my launcher and lower the part count by 700.

screenshot12.png

Feel better, this is part of the fuel section i wanted to launch in one go, and its your next challenge!

screenshot11.png

My Challenge:

1. Get the Act Corp_ Valkyrie Fuel Core on the launch pad into orbit

2. Reach the Valkyrie and dock.

3. Dont use the Fuel cores fuel to reach the Valkyrie.

The fuel section core piece comes with fuel lines to asparagus stage any fuel placed there. you just have to pay attention to it.

The second action group toggles the solar panels on the attached tug.

Sorry about messing around delaying things i got obsessed with that 450 ton payload :blush:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-_wvk1PMfr9dFQ3NzE3TmlUcG8/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Actzoltan

I decided to give this a shot before officially accepting a challenge.:cool: I took the Act Corp_ Valkyrie Fuel Core into orbit, got within 1000m of the Valkyrie, and then the Valkyrie exploded on me.... ;.; No warning whatsoever, it just went *BOOM*

So I guess I'll have to try it again.:rolleyes:

Edit: Just tried it again, Valkyrie exploded on me again. So I won't be completing this particular challenge.

Edited by Dappa

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.