Anubis Spaceplane (SSTO)

Broco

After the Bismarck I wanted to create a real SSTO Spaceplane Cruiser. I've tried so many engine settings I can't count. Tried Nuclear Engines but they were much too heavy and provided not enough thrust. After 3 days of playing around I went back to the boring aerospikes but it was totally worth it.

No mods were used (including Mechjeb). After the takeoff which was a real horror the rest was pretty easy. I managed to reach a stable orbit with no fuel left, so no pictures with engines on, will need to refuel it first.

Check it out:

Anubis.png

Rear views:

Anubis2.png

Anubis4.png

Bottom:

Anubis3.png]

Hope you like it. Oh man, how I love this game in such moments...

For those interested, the craft file:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-7533284/Anubis2.craft.html

Edit: Gotta edit this craft a bit. Forgot to add some more RCS-thrusters -.-

Steers very slowly.

Edit 2: Have edited it now. Added 2 nuclear engines, more RCS-thrusters for faster turns and more RCS fuel. Stabilized it at bit, it's easier to take off (but still a hell of a takeoff) - Use RCS for turning up after you left the runway, you can turn it off afterwards.

Added some lights and generators for electricity.

Added control groups:

1 - toggle outter aerospikes

2 - toggle inner aersopikes

3 - toggle nuclear engines

4 - shut down all engines

5 - activate all engines

Images of the "mk2":

Nuclear engine additional to the aerospikes:

anubis.png

Other side, added a tail connector to the nuclear engine and added some swept wings to make up for the additional mass in the back and to stabilize the flight through a slightly lower point of lift (works pretty well):

anubis2.png

After leaving the runway (low settings due to potato-computer) - Jonby is sceptical but he made it into space unharmed (klick image to get to the big one, didn't want to detonate this thread):

anubis_afterlaunch.jpg

mk2 download:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-7534043/Anubis.craft.html

Edited by Broco
Mk2 added

its time like this where i wish the devs would spend a whole update on optimizing the game to rum fluidly 5000 parts plus, imagine the things you could do with 5000 parts! anything!

anyway that is one cool space plane, you could maybe have one nuclear engine so once you refueled it you could go twice as far with the same amount of fuel, but overall its times like this where i just love ksp :D

It's both awe inspiring and terryfying at the same moment :sealed: You could just hear laws of physics crying quietly in dark corner somewhere. I won't even download it - my processor would have nuclear meltdown visible from the orbit :D

Thanks for the feedback guys, and yes, it was like 1fps on low settings. :D

its time like this where i wish the devs would spend a whole update on optimizing the game to rum fluidly 5000 parts plus, imagine the things you could do with 5000 parts! anything!

anyway that is one cool space plane, you could maybe have one nuclear engine so once you refueled it you could go twice as far with the same amount of fuel, but overall its times like this where i just love ksp :D

Well, I will try to optimize it and you are right of course... nuclear engines are much better. But it's really hard to take off with that little thrust at sea level... will try to exchange some enginens, maybe put some underneath (the Anubis is slightly top-heavy) but don't want to destroy the optics :-D

HOLY ****!

That is really impressive!

I'm trying it now.

RIP framerate

Edit: It doesn't even load the craft :(

I've played with vessels with more parts then this and worked...

Did you put it in the SPH folder? A friend of mine tried it and it worked (well he couldn't lift off but it loaded :-D)

Little hint: If you crash don't select "Restart flight" as the craft will explode immediately. Go back to Space Plane Hangar and then launch again.

Once it's off the runway it performs really good, I was suprised myself (though I tried to balance it as good as possible in this size & design).

The takeoff is by far the hardest part. Full throttle, all engines on, take off with RCS on, slightly pull up, not that much that the wings touch the ground but not too less or you will crash immediately.

Made a new version by now which performs a little bit better, still hard takeoff though, nuclear engines on board, more RCS-thrusters and more RCS-fuel.

P.S.: I got it into orbit befor I postet it of course :-D

Yeah! I downloaded it and crashed KSP: memory overrun or something like that.

Note to self: buy better computer, hopefully not a laptop.

Incredible-looking images though, I'm amazed that thing made it to orbit.

My Computer sucks too, new laptop on its way.

I play on the lowest settings, just switched to higher ones for the pictures but even if the ship is just orbiting without any command I got like 4 fps max.

It's really not that hard to get it into orbit once (and that's a big once) you made it off the runway.

Edited by Broco

Great design!

The takeoff problem is solved by moving the wheels forward so the rearmost set of wheels are near the center of gravity. That's why it doesn't rotate. Also, keep it's acceleration just below 2g (in the green) until about 50km altitude to maximize your fuel. More than 3gs inside the atmosphere is wasted. I personally might have added a few drop off jet engines and filled the center section of engines with thrust vectoring engines, but at the same time, I really like the all aerospike look.

Edited by Scoundrel
typos

Dang. That could be one of the most menacing/cool/scary things I have ever seen in KSP. I think I would abandon ship if that thing was headed for my space station.

Do you mean because you are scared or because of the framerate-drop? :-D

replace half the aerospikes with jet engines and intakes, it could go farther....

still, AMAZING! Its SO BIG!

Thanks, but with half the engines being jet engines I had problems taking off before.

Will try again though, maybe I did it wrong, would be cool if I could land this ship and take off again.

Great design!

The takeoff problem is solved by moving the wheels forward so the rearmost set of wheels are near the center of gravity. That's why it doesn't rotate. Also, keep it's acceleration just below 2g (in the green) until about 50km altitude to maximize your fuel. More than 3gs inside the atmosphere is wasted. I personally might have added a few drop off jet engines and filled the center section of engines with thrust vectoring engines, but at the same time, I really like the all aerospike look.

Thank you, will try that out later, I'm at work right now.

Have you tried it? I always had to put wheels in the back because the rear tended to crash into the ground without wheels on a ship in this size (because it's a little bit wobbly).

But it seems logic, indeed :-D

I will experiment with the design, maybe remove the outter aerospikes and replace them with jet-engines. Maybe VTOL capabilities. My first goal was to get this baby into space and that was quiet hard on its own.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.