[AAR] Journey Of The Ares

The Jedi Master

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

John F. Kerman stepped on to the podium. The crowd watched. All of Kerbin watched, through TV or livestream or or updates on SpaceBook.

He spoke.

"Fellow kerbals, Since the beginning of the Jedi Space Program, we have done many great things. The Columbus 27 brought us into orbit. The Armstrong 5 landed us on Minmus, though it was by accident. One thing we have not yet done, however, is put a kerbal on another planet. So, to further the spirit of science and exploration, I have decided to start the Ares Program, which will send a mission... to Moho."

*DRAMATIC MUSIC*

There was a murmur through the crowd. All remembered the Curiosity 3, which stranded Danke, Bob and some other kerbal no one could remember the name of in orbit around the sun. It was SUPPOSED to land on Duna. Since then, interplanetary missions had been dismissed as science fiction. Could they really do it? Could they really put a kerbal on Moho, even before Duna?

"To this end, I have raised the budget of the space program from 30% of the GDP to half the GDP. When Bill Kerman stepped onto Minmus, he said, 'That's one small step for a kerbal, one giant leap for kerbalkind.' Let make another small step, and another giant leap. FOR SCIENCE!"

At the last sentence, people were convinced. After all, if it was FOR SCIENCE, nothing could possibly go wrong. Right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"No."

"Bill-"

"NO."

Since the Minmus landing, Bill Kerman had been crowned a planetary hero. However, after the failed attempt to rescue another guy named Danke on the Mun, he had been deeply depressed. Besides, Jeb got all the glory for being the one who was such an awesome pilot.

Bah, he thought. He's got nothing on scientific skill.

"We need your knowledge, Bill," The Jedi Master said, as if reading his thoughts. "Only you can decipher the anomalous forces on Moho."

"Is that the real reason? Just to... figure out some strange thing another space program found out about Moho?"

"Not the only reason."

"What other reasons?"

"Discovery. Knowledge. Science!"

"Unless you can bring Danke back, I'm not interested."

"... What if I told you that the forces on Moho might be able to bring him back?"

"Ha ha, nice try."

"We deciphered the Monolith near the runway."

"So?"

"It said, Go to Moho, and your friend will return."

"Again, nice try. Your'e a good storyteller."

"It's true. Look it up. It's all over the news."

"Fine."

Bill was shocked. It was true. The deciphering of the first monolith was a huge event.

"...How can I be sure this isn't some government cover up to get me to join?"

"You'll just have to trust me."

"...

Count me in."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stay tuned for the mission...

John and Jeb walked around the Ares I in the VAB, swarmed by camera crews from the Kerbal News Network.

7rPcMCc.jpg

"We notice an extra cockpit-style capsule. Why was this added?"

John cringed. The truth was that Bill had insisted on adding it, in case they were right about Danke, but he couldn't tell them that.

"That is the sample box. We're going to be taking lots of samples, so we modified the old plane cockpit to hold Moho rocks, and such."

"I see. Also, we've heard rumors that a crew has been chosen for the Ares I. Is this true?"

That he could answer.

"Yes, we have confirmed a crew...

Bill!

Position: Mission Commander

Experience: High

Most Famous Mission: Armstrong 5, first landing on another celestial body

Survival Instinct: Moderate

Luke!

Position: Pilot

Experience: Moderate

Most Famous Mission: Savior 1, stopped the 2012 Apocalypse

Survival Instinct: Non-Existent

Ian!

Position: Scientist

Experience: Nil

Survival Instinct: High

...That's about it, yeah."

"Good team! But two questions. First, why no Jeb, and second, why the newcomer?"

"First, Jeb's dedicated to the SSTO project. I mean, it suits him, right? Second, Ian has been studying with Wherner for years, so he's a perfect companion for Bill. Any other questions?"

"Yes, one more. Has this design been tested before? By... any space program?"

"No, but don't worry. We plan to test it by going to the Mun."

"The Mun?"

"Yes. This is the level of planning that interplanetary missions have to go through. We don't want another Curiosity 3.

Epic Failure!

WpnQ7zG.jpg

Ares I Collapses On Launch Pad, Major Setback!

KSCâ€â€The Ares I, designed to go to Moho and planned to land on the Mun as a test, collapsed on the launch pad as soon as physics kicked in. Officials currently believe that not enough struts were added, but most think that the ship is simply unstable.

When questioned, Luke Kerman noted that “if I had the time to engage SAS, it MIGHT have worked.†Bill Kerman refused to comment.

“This is only a minor setback,†Said President John F. Kerman. “If all else fails, a good ship sells at the Spacecraft Exchange for only five Kerbits.â€Â

â€â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€

“It’s hopeless, Jeb.â€Â

“Bill, nothing is hopeless.â€Â

“Eve SSTO.â€Â

“OK, I admit, that was a LITTLE too crazy. But that was 171 AU, Bill. Twenty years ago!â€Â

“Your point?â€Â

“My point is that we have the tech now. Docking by itself is huge.â€Â

Bill stopped short.

“Bill? You OK?â€Â

“THAT’S IT! We’ll learn docking!â€Â

“That’s the spirit!â€Â

â€â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€

Can someone PLEASE point me to either a Moho tutorial or a Moho-capable manned lander or both?

Can someone PLEASE point me to either a Moho tutorial or a Moho-capable manned lander or both?

I'd recommend waiting for a transfer window where Moho is at its farthest from Kerbol, as this is where your intercept velocity as well as Moho's own velocity is at the lowest possible. I also recommend taking some Kethane equipment with you, and some bigger engines for the Moho insertion and home-return burns. Don't forget to abuse Eve's high gravity for slingshots, this can save fuel both on the way to Moho and back. I don't really have much more to say, I've thus far only landed on Eve (unmanned, parachutes), and inserted into Duna Orbit without using Ike.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.