Challenge: Smooooooth rider!

I know Jeb\'s gonna hate me for that one...

Now, with all the addons and goodies and gadgets, it has become easy to slap enough engine power behind the capsule to accelerate it to 2000m/s in a split second... but have you ever thought what stress this puts on the poor thing? And the expensive satellites? Oh, and I guess our astronauts won\'t really enjoy it either.

The goal: A stable orbit at or above 100k meters.

The challenge: Lowest G-Force stress on the payload.

I know Jeb\'s gonna hate me for that one...

Now, with all the addons and goodies and gadgets, it has become easy to slap enough engine power behind the capsule to accelerate it to 2000m/s in a split second... but have you ever thought what stress this puts on the poor thing? And the expensive satellites? Oh, and I guess our astronauts won\'t really enjoy it either.

The goal: A stable orbit at or above 100k meters.

The challenge: Lowest G-Force stress on the payload.

Sub-2G should be easy. To the VAB...!

This is easy and actually demonstrates how trivial it is to reach a stable orbit 'taking it easy'. However, I think there is a problem - I got the exact same 2.2G while absolutely certain that I never went past 1.5G on the meter.

I\'m fairly certain that the 2.2G comes as a spike from the decoupler when I stage.

Off to tinker the design to be SSTO...

Ditched decouplers, first try without:

1.9G

SSTO rocket (dubbed 'Smooth Criminal') to a 100km circular orbit with 75% of the last trio of tanks left for orbital operations. Even has a parachute, tho I think it would\'ve snapped under the weight of the empty rocket if I tried to land...

I\'m fairly sure I can beat this with further tries, but since it is officially a new record for this challenge, here it is.

I hereby submit that the G-meter is imprecise. Here is the best I can do with the meter never visibly moving from 1G for more than 2 pixels.

SSTO to stable 100km+ orbit, all stock parts, with Most Gee Force Endured: 1.7G 8)

Overshot the 100km circular a bit, but it would be trivial to readjust it there with the fuel remaining.

1.4 G

Stable orbit at 102-104 km

All stock parts.

;)

Sunrise on first orbit:

th___KSP_orbit_sunrise.jpg

Approaching KSC:

th___KSP_orbit_ap_KSC1.jpg

At KSC:

th___KSP_orbit_at_KSC1.jpg

Final result and max G-force:

th___KSP_orbit_Gforce.jpg

P.S. I think I could make it with even less G\'s... I got distracted at one point, so I didn\'t decrees throttle in time, and Gforce went from 1.2 to 1.4 >:(

I hereby surrender on this challenge unless we get a more accurate G-metering (both on the instrumentation and at the end-of-flight screen) ;)

Still, glad you liked my design :)

Yeah, I have to give you credits for design; I have tried not to make it the same, but I have find out that this one works best... ;)

To make it a 'Smooooooth rider' craft has to be single stage, and it had to have enough fuel to reach orbit with slow acceleration.

I have tried to keep acceleration within 1m/s, but as I have mention before, at one point I forgot to decrease throttle, and got higher acceleration then intended...

And it would be nice to have some graph of Gforce over flight, or at least display of maximum Gforce an avarage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.