Operation: A Stealthy Approach

///Open Document///

OPERATION: A Stealthy Approach

//Briefing//(Skip to Mission Parameters if you want)

Listen up maggots!

Our commanders at K-Nap(Kerfrican National Air Patrol) have discovered that our terrorist counterparts, K-Pan(Kerfrican Patriotic Aerial Navy), have developed a new super weapon, a Booster powerful enough to deorbit Kerbin! We suspect Jeb was the engineer. We need a daredevil flyer to scout K-Pan\'s secret lair, Krowhaven, and lay a beacon to pinpoint the area for orbital bombardment. Unfortunately, K-Pan has just deployed a new radar system. We simply cannot send in a squadron to blitzkrieg the place, as they have a defensive ICSB(Inter-Continental Solid Booster) launch system. We\'re counting on you!

//End Briefing//

//Mission Parameters//

Fly an aircraft and land at Krowhaven base, on the island of Kersica. At any time, you cannot ascend past 200m. Any explosions, whether from crashes, landings or staging, will not be tolerated, unless the explosion occurs on the KSC terrain.

To qualify for this challenge, you must post a picture of you landed on the island, and a Mission Report screenshot showing the maximum altitude and flight events.

You must land on land ???

Mod parts allowed are C7 Aviation, Wobbly Rockets, SIDR&SD, Tuned SAS.

Attached is an example craft, an interpretation of the WWII Fieseler Storch. It requires Tuned SAS and C7. Using it does not count for the challenge.

/MAP/

zGlGS.png

//End Mission Parameters//

///End Document///

My craft is quite stable; the main challenge is not getting bored or getting sore fingers keeping the nose from sinking. Flying with low throttle at ~60m/s takes approximately ages to travel any significant distance. I need to fly a rocket to the island so I can get an accurate read of the heading and distance needed.

My craft is quite stable; the main challenge is not getting bored or getting sore fingers keeping the nose from sinking. Flying with low throttle at ~60m/s takes approximately ages to travel any significant distance. I need to fly a rocket to the island so I can get an accurate read of the heading and distance needed.

See, you\'re getting into the challenge. It\'s like having a spy satellite do a fly-over.

OK, I\'m most of the way to completing this mission (under KSP 0.11 x1)

Phase 1: Mapping

I intended to fly my fairly-unstable rocket-to-plane orbiter in a ballistic trajectory, land, then get a heading and distance fix.

Boost and trajectory went perfectly fine, despite that particular rocket being quite a challenge to control. The new orbital map view was quite nice for doing some course-correction burns to ensure I came down over the target. Sadly, I am afflicted with the red-textures bug, hence the odd looking rocket stage. Kere I am, coming down over the island.

JJLWS.png

My normally-working drogue chute ripped off during reentry, but I was able to control my plane well enough and settle into low flight. The small size of this flyer makes it a mite twitchy. Sadly, shortly after the following screenshot was taken, I lost control, went into a spin, and watched as the plane tore itself apart. The mission was satisfactorily accomplished though; I had a decent heading and distance to the island.

9HX9E.png

Phase 2: Stealthy Approach, first attempt

Based on good results from the mapping expedition, I was confident that my Meridian flyer could make it to the island, in a reasonable amount of time. Nothing to do but set off...

Looking back, you can see KSC swiftly dropping below the horizon.

PYgsy.png

As it turns out, Meridian is flyable at 2x time acceleration while still keeping a fixed heading and within the altitude window... mostly. I did mess up once and rise to 226 meters, but I think that\'d be easy enough to avoid next time. Passed the headland at about halfway there... fuel consumption is slightly worrisome.

ar6GV.png

As it turned out, I did have plenty of fuel. Kersica is coming up on the horizon!

geZk3.png

Now to just stick the landing...

yqsIr.png

Catastrophic Failure! Oops.

1F5IF.png

Upcoming Phase: Second Attempt

The overall mission structure and design of the Meridian is solid, but the lack of good runways in enemy territory is problematic. Work shall be done towards modifying the flyer with a deployable signal flare that can be dropped without needing a full-stop landing. Additionally, though there is ample fuel to reach the distant island, Meridian as it currently stands is not capable of making the full return trip to KSC. For the next mission, after deploying the beacon the plane will fly to the closest point on the mainland. A special crew recovery ejection system will be used to ensure the safty of our brave Kerbal pilots in the absence of a friendly airfield.

The overall mission structure and design of the Meridian is solid, but the lack of good runways in enemy territory is problematic. Work shall be done towards modifying the flyer with a deployable signal flare that can be dropped without needing a full-stop landing. Additionally, though there is ample fuel to reach the distant island, Meridian as it currently stands is not capable of making the full return trip to KSC. For the next mission, after deploying the beacon the plane will fly to the closest point on the mainland. A special crew recovery ejection system will be used to ensure the safty of our brave Kerbal pilots in the absence of a friendly airfield.

Okay, then. A signal flare is usable, but you still have to land without destroying anything.

For heavier planes, I find Sunday Punch\'s mini-SRB to be quite useful at getting off of the pad. Good luck, though, gliding several hundred kilometers with less than 200m starting altitude. Actually, I find staying <200m on liftoff one of the harder parts of this challenge. Need to do a fast pitchover and throttle jiggery to not get too high, yet still get enough airspeed and avoid hitting the tower.

Gah! I actually got to the island, but during landing the plane bounced off the terrain and some parts of the aircraft exploded. >:(

Tkbei.jpg

cLj0P.jpg

UjbpC.png

(You have to right-click and select Show Picture to view these in full size.)

At least I know it can reach the island while flying at 200 metres.

Im seeing if the C-119 Flying BoxCar can rise to the Challenge. so far if you set it to cruise at 80m/s it has alright Fuel Economy. i am about 1/5 the way there wooooo :). although i doubt the box car will be able to land since it has previously proven rather iffy at landings.

Note: I gave up along the way because i was convinced that if i managed to arrive at Krowehaven. then my landing would be very very noisy. so i am out fitting with with an RSC system purely for landing :)

on trip two i was halfway with half the amount of Fuel left and i was just about to finish crossing the perilous coastal mountain range when suddenly my aircraft started to drop. i pulled up quickly narrowly missing a mountain spur but stalled in the process. there were no survivors :(

on Trip Three.

The C-119 flying BoxCar set its sights on the bearing of 45 degrees from true north at a constant 70m/s following the shore the three pilots were determined to reach Krowhaven and due to the inaccuracy of the gps pulled away from the shore line a little early. after 5 minutes of travel Bill convinced Jeb that they had in fact Gone the wrong way. The crew made a slight change and soon saw land ahead. there excitement was soon quelled when bob pointed out that it was not the island of Kersica but rather the mainland. The pilots then readjusted there course and began there journey across the kersican straight.

The Kerbins arrived at Krowhaven Military base Just under 37 minutes. landing proved difficult and was almost completely smooth until the aircraft stumbled upon a rough patch of dirt ripping off the Tail wing and rear fuel Tanks. luckily the transport component of the Aircraft was left intact and the Kerbin Special forces quickly Offloaded. also a design feature of the C-119 Flying BoxCar is that the Large Cargo Component is large enough to fit a M8 GreyHound Armoured Car. (only 32 Troops Were in the in the C-119{the Fat greyhound Bastard took up 30 seats!)) although the Island was quickly taken over and the Huge Booster destroyed. The Explosion from the Landing Alerted Kudam Bin kaden ( the Main conspirator who has a liking to the fashion of Growing a long majestic beard while Draping himself in white Table Clothes) who quickly escaped to his Private submarine Lair which is Shaped a lot like a phallic where he Began Plotting his next evil Plan of getting rid of the kerman Brothers.

Although the weapon was destroyed the escape of the Kudam has deemed this Mission a failure

(looks like i need to Try again :( ).

mm to bad that illusive Kudam bin Kaden got away :(

Gah! I actually got to the island, but during landing the plane bounced off the terrain and some parts of the aircraft exploded. >:(

Tkbei.jpg

cLj0P.jpg

UjbpC.png

(You have to right-click and select Show Picture to view these in full size.)

At least I know it can reach the island while flying at 200 metres.

Judging by the amount of fuel left in those tanks it must have been a little perilous when you were crossing the Kersican Straight with the Fuel meter dropping ever so low

Edit: just read some of the other posts. and i am curious if you can bend the rules a bit. rather then landing on the Island am i allowed to Drop a 'beacon' and land back at KSC headquarters.

also By beacon i mean an improvised beacon device.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.