Show off your flags MEGATHREAD

geb

ah yes, this could be a great chance to learn some computer graphics, for those who suck a these things like me: I expect "flag design" tutorials to show up in the How To section in the following weeks :)

in the meantime, if someone has any tips, like which program they used to create their flags, I'm all ears!

I actually had the thought of creating a unique flag per mission, kind of like how each NASA STS mission had its own.

Sounds really cool but I may later balk due to the extra time and work involved as my laziness takes over. In that case I'd probably default to a pirate flag or US flag.

in the meantime, if someone has any tips, like which program they used to create their flags, I'm all ears!

I used GIMP to make mine (yes, yes, I know it has a silly name. It stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program).

If you want a simpler pattern with cleaner lines you could try inkscape instead, which does vector art rather than pixels.

Both programs are free.

ah yes, this could be a great chance to learn some computer graphics, for those who suck a these things like me: I expect "flag design" tutorials to show up in the How To section in the following weeks :)

I don't think a "flag design" tutorial would appear, as it would just explain how to produce a 256x190 PNG file.

For my flag, I used The Gimp. Nice piece of free (as in freedom and free beer) software. There are a lot of tutorials out there on how to use it. To get started, once installed and launched, click File -> New, type 256 in Width, 190 in Height, click OK, select the pencil tool (the one looking like a pencil, obviously), select a color by clicking the black square beneath the tools, and start drawing. When you're happy with your flag, click File -> Export, be sure to type ".png" at the end of your flag name, click Export, then Export again in the dialog showing up, leaving all options alone for now. You're done, show us your art :)

Or, if you really fear too powerful softwares, you can use Paint (installed with Windows). Easiest software ever, it will do the job.

Yes, but what's GNU? ;)

It means GNU is Not Unix :D

Edited by macbernick

The post mentions that the flags will be 256*256 in memory. From other game mod stuff I've done, but nothing in KSP, that usually means that the image file is 256*256 with the bottom 96 pixel rows empty, or transparent. Not sure if that's how KSP will handle it, but I wouldn't be surprised, as more often than not, video game graphics are usually square no matter what part of the image actually gets used.

The post mentions that the flags will be 256*256 in memory. From other game mod stuff I've done, but nothing in KSP, that usually means that the image file is 256*256 with the bottom 96 pixel rows empty, or transparent. Not sure if that's how KSP will handle it, but I wouldn't be surprised, as more often than not, video game graphics are usually square no matter what part of the image actually gets used.

The game will probably pad image files to square by itself if you give it a rectangular one. If not, it's not going to take long to do it by hand.

Guys if i wanted to make a flag with paint, which is the only program i know how to use, what size should i set it at?

I second that statement about only knowing about how to use Paint.

I would set the size in pixels to the 256*160 the flags will show as. If we DO need to submit a square 256*256 file, you can simply drag the workspace down and it will add white space (or whatever color the secondary color is set as).

I would strongly suggest learning to use Gimp. It is a wonderful and powerful tool and you will always be happy to have it and the knowledge to use it on you back pocket. But paint is fine too.

No, the png file only needs to be 256x160. The game will scale it to 256x256. I think having white space at the bottom will result in a squashed flag with the white space visible. Also, no transparency.

Edited by NovaSilisko

Here's mine for now:

VE8NN5h.png

It's a combination of the UK Space Agency logo (since it's far better than anything I could come up with), a screenshot of Kerbin and an actual photo of the Pleiades I took from my back garden.

Smug.

I used Paint.net To make mine:

SqNdYuxl.png

If you want the fading colours you might have to play with the gradients a little.

Hi there, I discovered KSP just two weeks ago and only got one landing on the Mun and some satellite in orbit. I waited a bit too long before joinning this awesome community but then I've seen this thread and I just couldn't resist!

so first post: here's my flag design!

1Ql7xVh.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.