Orion aka "Ol' Boom-boom"

nyrath

as far as blast damage goes, I've read that a 5 kiloton nuclear device will create an overpressure of 5 psi (enough to demolish a brick building) over a 0.44 kilometer radius. For each device.

But the ship will be safe as it is protected by the pusher plate.

I'm admiring the code in the Lazor Systems mod (for explosive warheads), though of course I would ask permission before I used anything from it.

Later edit: Nope, I cannot. Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. Means I cannot alter, transform, or build upon this work. Oh well.

I want this as a large-stage lifter vehicle.

That is a goal, since that is what Orion drives are best suited for. Carry an entire lunar colony in one trip.

Edited by nyrath

Of course. I should have known that the Kerbal Community was more than a match for such a trival challenge.

Just bring some landers with you

Yes, that old EMPIRE lander or similar is the intelligent way to do it. But both you and I know that Jeb is going to want to land the blasted thing under atom-bomb power.

Nyrath, this stuff makes me positively giddy with anticipation! Quick question, though; I noticed in the screenshots that explosions aren't putting off a whole lot of light, and while that's just a minor aesthetic issue of mine, is it possible to make the bomb detonations emit a brighter flash when they detonate?

By the way Canopus, here's a cool video from Orbiter that shows that design in action:

So I saw this back on page five, and that no one had responded to it:

The fuel tanks are called "magazines". They are those green fat poker chip shaped things. They are clustered around the central spine. When they are empty, they are ejected, as you can see in the last picture. Note the "ejection actuator" in figure 33.

The problem is that after they are ejected, the central spine remains.

I was thinking that I could get away with having the magazine part as six-magazine clusters with a slice of central spine. Stack them and you'd have stacks of magazines, and a central spine that was automatically the right height to accommodate the stack.

But then I cannot eject a cluster. If I do, everything below the cluster will be severed from the rocket proper and fall off. Including the Orion drive.

I could make a part just an individual magazine, instead of a six-magazine cluster. It seems to me that will create problems in making them work with the other standard Kerbal parts.

Or is there a way for a part that is six-magazines to somehow destroy just the empty magazines, and leave the central core alone?

What do you all think?

Having the central spine stay intact isn't a bad thing. Small arm magazines are intact after being emptied, and the guns they go in are intact even without a magazine. An interesting way of combining the ideas is to either have a spine part with magazines radially attached (this also lets people use less than six magazines per level, or get up to Interesting shenanigans structure-wise trying to fit more), or include a part to be placed at the transition point between the spine and the pusher, with attachment points to build up your magazine stack on - think the Mech Jeb pod fuel tank, with central attachment points to build your ship with and several others to stack magazines onto. From either one, it's then a matter of ejecting the magazines sideways, which shouldn't be too big an issue.

So I saw this back on page five, and that no one had responded to it:

Having the central spine stay intact isn't a bad thing. Small arm magazines are intact after being emptied, and the guns they go in are intact even without a magazine. An interesting way of combining the ideas is to either have a spine part with magazines radially attached (this also lets people use less than six magazines per level, or get up to Interesting shenanigans structure-wise trying to fit more), or include a part to be placed at the transition point between the spine and the pusher, with attachment points to build up your magazine stack on - think the Mech Jeb pod fuel tank, with central attachment points to build your ship with and several others to stack magazines onto. From either one, it's then a matter of ejecting the magazines sideways, which shouldn't be too big an issue.

Thanks! I'll look into that. Sounds like it would work.

Listen up, everybody! It is time to playtest

Download the mod file from this temporary location

http://ubuntuone.com/1pzw6uzUelfOA97Ixf8krJ

The Extras folder has a readme file explaining how to install and use. And how to change the textures to something more to your liking.

This mod has not been tested much, there are going to be bugs. The readme file has the address to send bug reports.

The values for various parameters (impulse per bomb, destruction radius, etc) are tentative, I'm not sure what some of them should be in the context of KSP. These values can be altered by editing the part.cfg files, as explained in the readme. Play around with them and see what works.

Go nuts.

Edited by nyrath

The first "taste" is awesome...the only what can tell something like a bug,is after the launch,from 10000m alt to 30-35000m,the sound of explosion have a problem,after everything ok!

Thanks! I'll put it in my Bugzilla database to be fixed.

Nyrath,

Thank you very much for diving into this unique propulsion method. Wow, this is so KERBAL.

Early on, you were talking about the various sizes to make these parts. I have no idea if you already know this or not but the currently accepted standard is to scale Real-life items by 64% to "kerbal size" them. (Eg: ISS project, Anything Bobcat, Fusty, Devo, Wcole, etc.)

You may have already done this, or not, I cant take a look right now due to being at work (I am so tempted however to load KSP on a work PC... but I wont).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.