Fresh Download on Steam?

I think mod managers are a must with this game as well if you use mods. Lately I've disabled all my mods because they were causing the game to run slow and it took forever to sort through the parts to find what I needed.

Re-downloading the game if you don't have mods is rather drastic. You can go to game properties>local files>verify integrity of game cache. This will compare files in your drive to Steam's, and replace any that are out of order. You won't be able to do anything else in Steam during that, but with KSP it shouldn't take long.

A Mod Manager is a good idea, but better to let a mod-maker work on that. It hasn't been a pretty picture over in the Minecraft camp with players expecting Mojang to come up with one.

If you are one to use lots of mods, then you should be prepared to deal with the organization.

Be sure after you uninstall, delete any remaining folders from the steamapps KSP game folder so you get a clean reinstall. Otherwise any mods you added will still be there.

^this. Deleting it from steam will NOT remove the files from the computer. You have to manually delete them for a fresh install (I learned it the hard way, trying to find a mod that was causing a weird issue).

Re-downloading the game if you don't have mods is rather drastic. You can go to game properties>local files>verify integrity of game cache. This will compare files in your drive to Steam's, and replace any that are out of order. You won't be able to do anything else in Steam during that, but with KSP it shouldn't take long.

A Mod Manager is a good idea, but better to let a mod-maker work on that. It hasn't been a pretty picture over in the Minecraft camp with players expecting Mojang to come up with one.

If you are one to use lots of mods, then you should be prepared to deal with the organization.

This hasn't worked for me. I made a couple of modifications to some parts that ended up carrying over into the integrity check.

Your own modifications count as mods. An integrity check is just for the core developer made data. Any mods will be glossed over, and modded data files are likely to be overlooked, as well. The integrity check is more for looking for missing and/or corrupted unreadable files. From the days of PC gaming yore, it has always been recommended to do a clean re-install when you have modded files included. Clean meaning you do a Steam uninstall, and then you delete the remaining files manually.

Remember, mods are not supported by the developers, and you install them and make your own at your own risk. Make sure you keep copies of them in a separate folder so you can re-apply them with ease after a clean installation. Any files you mod yourself, keep copies of the originals in another folder for easy re-location.

On another note, is it possible to get a 2nd install of KSP while using Steam? I'd really woul'd like a mod free version so I can do reddit challenges and that stuff (because Kerbal Alarmclock will always be active).

On another note, is it possible to get a 2nd install of KSP while using Steam? I'd really woul'd like a mod free version so I can do reddit challenges and that stuff (because Kerbal Alarmclock will always be active).

You can fudge it by renaming folders each time you want to run but that is one of the limitations of steam over the normal version.

Just copy and paste the KSP folder out of Program files\Steam\steamapps\common

Then you can have as many versions as you want.

I did a multi version install the other day through steam.

With a clean install, copy and paste the KSP folder into another directory somewhere. Then you can have mods in the one your playing with and swap it out for the copied clean version if you want vanilla, no need to rename directories.

I for example have 3 versions, a complete clean one, gameplay mod heavy, and one with a bit of gameplay mods and part mods.

Their saved in a structure like this:

KSP_version/KSP_clean/KSP

KSP_version/KSP_Gmods/KSP

KSP_version/KSP_GPmods/KSP

all I do is copy and paste the required KSP folder over into the steamapps/common folder as and when I want it.

G.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.