0.20 Is here!!!

SkyHook

I installed .20 - used JSGME to install mods and it appears, so far, that they are working. MechJeb is working for me along with most parts in NovaPunch and KW Rocketry.

Next up is FAR.

What are some good space probe mods?

I installed .20 - used JSGME to install mods and it appears, so far, that they are working. MechJeb is working for me along with most parts in NovaPunch and KW Rocketry.

Next up is FAR.

Congrats on a smooth and thoughtful install process!

What kind of mods are you looking for? There are probes of all kinds, but most of them built using parts from stock and various other parts packs. I don't know if there's a whole mod just for probes in particular.

Next up is FAR.

Here are some mods and crafts from SpacePort that will fill your hunger for probing planetary orifices... I make no claim as to compatibility with the mods :D

Have fun! :)

Congrats on a smooth and thoughtful install process!

What kind of mods are you looking for? There are probes of all kinds, but most of them built using parts from stock and various other parts packs. I don't know if there's a whole mod just for probes in particular.

What I would like is a mod that allows me to send up a probe that does something different every time. I guess I'm getting antsy for career mode where sending up a satellite to provide comm coverage over "X" amount of the planet would give you a revenue boost.

FYI - So far, FAR install successful. I should caveat that I am starting from scratch.

Maybe I just need to piece my ship back together, but has anyone else had their stability enhancers come back to bite their arse in the new version?

I'll be 2 minutes into a launch around 12km, and BOOM, the towers start flashing around my rocket as soon as the SRBs they were connected to hit the ground, then collide with my engines.

hkFCszc.png

Yep, Every Rocket I launch that I use a Stapility Enhancer with will take it along with it even if it doesn't show it. Debug always says I hit them. Stock and mod ships. If I dont use a (SE) I'm fine....

I need help guys!!!! I don't know how to make the crew pod unoccupied, with controllable probe pod. I hate risking the life of Kerbals. I heard that there are new or recent features that I cannot use because of too much ignorance.

Edited by Iansoreta
extra reasons

I need help guys!!!! I don't know how to make the crew pod unoccupied, with controllable probe pod. I hate risking the life of Kerbals.

Two options for you here (and I'm assuming you're saying you have a probe body on-board so it can still be controlled afterward:

1. Build the ship so your pilot can disembark after the ship is on the pad
  2. Use a mod called Kerbal Crew Manifest (.20 updated) to "delete" the pilot while the ship is still on the pad

I use the mod option for my ships, especially when I'm dealing with a small vessel with a single pod and probe body intended for crew rescue. In other words I want the pod to be the lifeboat, not already crewed at launch.

The mod also has a "permadeath" option that is on by default, so if you don't want that, be sure to click the little clipboard icon at the Space Center scene (before you go into the VAB, SPH, runway or launchpad).

Been too busy to play KSP for the past week, so only just got to upgrade to 0.20. Today,

My save file carried over, but of my two Münbases, the one at a Mün arch appeared under the ground and was unsalvageable. The guy I was trying to rescue on Laythe was also buried. My other stuff on the surfaces all survived.

Started a second save game though, just to mess about with the new stuff. I get the feeling that the Skipper and I are about to have a long and fruitful relationship. Have found a really nice way to use it for heavy lifting:

Around the edge of your spacecraft, put four stacks of the 3 each of the 32 unit fuel tanks. Put a Skipper under each one.

In the centre, put 3 of them with a Mainsail underneath. Depending on payload weight, consider adding a second mainsail.

Add outer asparagus stages of Skippers under orange tanks to taste.

Have the end of the outer asparagus chain feed the Mainsail, which feeds the four Skippers.

Lift off, get it so that the asparagus stages burn out by about 10,000 metres. Commence gravity turn with the Mainsail and four Skippers running. Somewhere around 20-30,000, the Mainsail will burn out. Toss it.

Now you're at the previously awkward orbital instion stage where you're close enough to vacuum, close enough to an actual orbit, and low enough on fuel that Mainsails are incredibly wasteful, overpowered, and likely to shake your ship to pieces if run at full power. The great thing about the Skipper is that it's perfect for this job.

And using them for the outer stages with an orange tank for each one seems to result in a ship that lifts off nicely, maintains a very nice TWR as stages burn out, and doesn't have the tendency to undergo random structural failure that Mainsail powered heavy lifters are often prone to.

Combined with the clamp-o-tron senior, I feel some MASSIVE Jool ships coming on without the tedious LKO refuelling and multiple Jool transfers (because big stuff wasn't stable enough to move in one go in 0.19) that my Jool missions currently require.

I think I'm going to enjoy this!

Been too busy to play KSP for the past week, so only just got to upgrade to 0.20. Today,

My save file carried over, but of my two Münbases, the one at a Mün arch appeared under the ground and was unsalvageable. The guy I was trying to rescue on Laythe was also buried. My other stuff on the surfaces all survived.

Started a second save game though, just to mess about with the new stuff. I get the feeling that the Skipper and I are about to have a long and fruitful relationship. Have found a really nice way to use it for heavy lifting:

Around the edge of your spacecraft, put four stacks of the 3 each of the 32 unit fuel tanks. Put a Skipper under each one.

In the centre, put 3 of them with a Mainsail underneath. Depending on payload weight, consider adding a second mainsail.

Add outer asparagus stages of Skippers under orange tanks to taste.

Have the end of the outer asparagus chain feed the Mainsail, which feeds the four Skippers.

Lift off, get it so that the asparagus stages burn out by about 10,000 metres. Commence gravity turn with the Mainsail and four Skippers running. Somewhere around 20-30,000, the Mainsail will burn out. Toss it.

Now you're at the previously awkward orbital instion stage where you're close enough to vacuum, close enough to an actual orbit, and low enough on fuel that Mainsails are incredibly wasteful, overpowered, and likely to shake your ship to pieces if run at full power. The great thing about the Skipper is that it's perfect for this job.

And using them for the outer stages with an orange tank for each one seems to result in a ship that lifts off nicely, maintains a very nice TWR as stages burn out, and doesn't have the tendency to undergo random structural failure that Mainsail powered heavy lifters are often prone to.

Combined with the clamp-o-tron senior, I feel some MASSIVE Jool ships coming on without the tedious LKO refuelling and multiple Jool transfers (because big stuff wasn't stable enough to move in one go in 0.19) that my Jool missions currently require.

I think I'm going to enjoy this!

.craft or it didn't happen! :D

0.2 for me is a total disaster. I've got like 15-30 FPS with my [email protected] and GTX680 (KSP installed on SSD). Will try a fresh reinstall. Have a lot of stuff on orbit, hate to lose it.

Here some shots w/ sys info in top left corner.

ksp20130527164235278.th.pngksp20130527165732287.th.png

ksp20130527170058829.th.pngksp20130527170404023.th.png

ksp20130527171127531.th.pngksp20130527172054263.th.png

ksp20130527172508747.th.png

Did you try running it without all the mods? Did you look at the log (alt-f2) to see if something is quietly freaking out in the background with one of the mods? Did you add the mods one by one, checking they worked properly as you added them, or did you just dump-n-run the whole lot at once?

0.2 for me is a total disaster. I've got like 15-30 FPS with my [email protected] and GTX680 (KSP installed on SSD). Will try a fresh reinstall. Have a lot of stuff on orbit, hate to lose it.

Here some shots w/ sys info in top left corner.

ksp20130527164235278.th.pngksp20130527165732287.th.png

ksp20130527170058829.th.pngksp20130527170404023.th.png

ksp20130527171127531.th.pngksp20130527172054263.th.png

ksp20130527172508747.th.png

I have a less better processor and video card, and I have for my feeling 2349857203945670394875 FPS on .20.

Hi,

I heard something about turning shaders off...

I myself will be using a specified number of parts for smooth gameplay - why build big to have fun - smaller unfortunately is better - maybe spread things out more too.

My max was about 4-500 parts for an okay launch...same number total or less and I hit major lagg spikes on landing...need a cleaner runway.

I am loading up .20 this weekend.

Cdr Zeta

I dont have mods, also reinstalled ksp 3 times and deleted all previous data. Still have stupid bugs [random movements of rocket] and about 15-25 fps.

I have an issue where from about 7km to 70km I get about 1 FPS. Frustrating but livable with MechJeb.

I have an issue where from about 7km to 70km I get about 1 FPS. Frustrating but livable with MechJeb.

Check your log guys, especially when you have complex mods like MechJeb installed. At the point things start going weird, hit [ALT]+[F2] and see if you're getting errors that could be accounting for the game becoming "distracted" and generating lag while it tries to deal with the errors.

This was a big thing during first few hours of .20's release, when people just started copying over entire mod/ship/save profiles and expecting the lot to just work as if Squad hadn't done any of the big changes to the engine that they'd been talking about long before the release.

I promise you, unless you have a crap-tastic 10 year old Celeron or AMD AthlonXP, you shouldn't be experiencing such insane and horrible lag, and indeed that kind of thing is proving to be the exception rather than the rule in this update.

There are lots of people here who'd like to help others enjoy this awesome game as much as possible, so if you're having issues that are making it a pain, we'll need more to go on than simple symptoms descriptions. You're going to have to make some effort on your part as well if you're looking for help.

...unless you're just looking to gripe -which everyone's bound to do now and then, of course! :D

Well, a fresh reinstall do a trick. Stable 60 FPS w/ vsync. Now i will try to pinpoint what mod caused such a FPS drop.

Thanks for the tips, will try alt-f2. I'm a new to KSP, so i still don't know a lot of things.

Well, a fresh reinstall do a trick. Stable 60 FPS w/ vsync. Now i will try to pinpoint what mod caused such a FPS drop.

Thanks for the tips, will try alt-f2. I'm a new to KSP, so i still don't know a lot of things.

Tell this to everybody, NOW. Fresh install, it will work perfectly, people.

.craft or it didn't happen! :D

OK, I might be tempted to post the .craft if you ask nicely :-)

In the meantime, here are some pics with my air breathing SSTO VTOL lander carried to orbit in a cradle, packaged in clamp o tron Sr's, ready to be flung at Laythe on a mothership:

On the pad. Note lighting effects placed on launch clamps and the orbital manoeuvring rocket in the nosecone:

1.png

First two booster stages separated, gravity turn in progress. This really is a nicely behaved rocket. Previously I did this stuff with lots of Mainsails, with careful throttle management to stop it tearing itself apart as stages ran dry. The Skipper just fits that sweet spot perfectly:

2.png

Mainsail burned out and jettisoned, along with the nosecone, which shoots off into the distance thanks to 4 strategically mounted sepatrons. This serves no useful purpose; it just looks cool. Until this point, the Mainsail has been doing the grunt work, but unlike classic asparagus, the 4 tanks immediately outside it are left to do the orbital inseryion, using Skippers. The Mainsail is a horrible engine to use in near vacuum and its work is done!

3.png

Here's the cradled lander in its transport rig, with the orbital manoeuvring rocket still attached. Once it gets close to the transport tug, the manoeuvring rocket is detached and deorbited. When it arrives at Laythe, the RCS can used to get an aerobraking trajectory from orbit, and then the cradle detached in two halves, leaving the fully fuelled SSTO lander to do its job. The clamp o tron Sr's on either end of the cradle mean I can stack them on a nuclear transport rocket and move several in one go. Before I was doing multiple Jool transit burns: one per lander, each with its own tug. It was excruciatingly tedious.

4.png

This method also means that, despite the lander being able to reach LKO by itself (it is an SSTO, after all), I don't need to mess about refuelling it. I can just dump it to orbit, dock with my mothership, and forget about it until the launch window opens up.

Frankly, I think the big docking ports and the Skipper engine make 0.20 more useful than the 0.19 addition of wheels.

Check your log guys, especially when you have complex mods like MechJeb installed. At the point things start going weird, hit [ALT]+[F2] and see if you're getting errors that could be accounting for the game becoming "distracted" and generating lag while it tries to deal with the errors.

This was a big thing during first few hours of .20's release, when people just started copying over entire mod/ship/save profiles and expecting the lot to just work as if Squad hadn't done any of the big changes to the engine that they'd been talking about long before the release.

I promise you, unless you have a crap-tastic 10 year old Celeron or AMD AthlonXP, you shouldn't be experiencing such insane and horrible lag, and indeed that kind of thing is proving to be the exception rather than the rule in this update.

There are lots of people here who'd like to help others enjoy this awesome game as much as possible, so if you're having issues that are making it a pain, we'll need more to go on than simple symptoms descriptions. You're going to have to make some effort on your part as well if you're looking for help.

...unless you're just looking to gripe -which everyone's bound to do now and then, of course! :D

My last launch I didn't notice it so I think Jeb fixed it.

i kinda had to edit my savefile to change the Atlas (from KSPX) to the Skipper, apart from that, all ships load!

Now if Kethane mod could restart working and not reset my map at every new session...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.