[Showcase] Post your Bases

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i had a Minmus base called Camp Kerman, destroyed in a file delete: http://imgur.com/a/Nsvi5l,

and now im working on a Duna base, not yet completed. I had to drive 150 kilometers across Dunan hills to find a usably flat area for a base. It has an orbiting space station too! Called Olympus base just because: http://imgur.com/a/0whL3

(forgot to have any good photoshoots at the station.)

Edit: the first album doesn't seem to be working, i'll try again: http://imgur.com/a/Nsvi5

• 2 weeks later...

Mun%20Base%2001.png

- 0.23 Stocks parts plus MechJeb

- all parts lifted and assembled in situ using the karts in the foreground

- the tubes originally had little buggies under them to drive them into place

- docking ports all centred at height of black strap on retractable legs

- next is to add some mono tanks and a "hopper" landing pad

I'm working on a new base pack, betterer and less buggy. You get this thing in two launches:

Ag0FJjs.png

There is a "base" base pack, with the central node, construction rover, fuel tank and hab, and another launcher to get the science-related stuff: the pressurized rover with the experiments and the lab module. And by using the construction rover and the pressurized one at the same time, you can make a short of mobile lab...

So, by launching more than one "base" pack, you can make you base as big as you want, and you will have always two free ports to dock the rover the cute a 2.5km/s shuttle I'm working on. Self-delivery common launcher and rocket skycrane rated for kerbin included! It is also built so adding your modules is as easy as slapping them under the skycrane, and drop them in stages (yeah, the skycrane drops one module, lifts off again, shortens its legs, and flies away to drop the next).

Rune. Currently finishing testing on Mun, expect release one of these days.

Edited by Rune

I'm working on revamping and updating Temstar's stuff (trying to get in touch with him to get some help and keep with the original intent; he seems to be vacant from the forums :P). I'm also expanding it. It's currently still .20.2. It does not utilize the 21.1 SAS system, is a bit outdated for Kethane, seems like the lifters underperform post .20.2, not living up to advertisement. Ultimately, it needs some love.

(Thanks to Captain Sierra for pointing me to the proper thread to post this in - I had this in Space Stations rather than bases. Oops! )

I'm a big fan of Wayland's Space 1999 Eagle mod. And the LLL parts allow you to make Eagle Mission pods of various types quite nicely.

Something I've thought the Eagle could do quite handily is construct a base made out of mission pods it carries up under it's main truss if I could be patient enough and careful enough with the docking and link up. On Minmus it's relatively easy. RCS is capable of helping lift up an Eagle's weight just enough to allow you to "Scoot" it along the ice flats in order to bring the docking ports into alignment. After that it's just a matter of multiple deliveries. I used a total of 5 Eagles to construct the main base and delivered some extras with 3 more.

The base has life support and recycling (the Greenhouse pod helps support that) and Minmus Base Alpha sits on top of a Kethane node so it's able to refuel ships that come in. Though I'm getting close to depleting the node. But that's okay! The modular nature of the base means the whole thing can be easily picked up and moved to the next node. And in my save, there's another Kethane node under another part of the same ice flat in the same hemisphere. So a single Eagle could make multiple trips and move the whole base.

It's much easier to make all the parts of a base fit together smoothly on perfectly flat terrain like the ice flats. But I know eventually I'll have to put some modules together on imperfect terrain. I may not be able to locate a base on certain Kethane fields that are too steep. Then I'll have to send out rovers and/or ships to deliver kethane to the base instead. That'll be an interesting challenge!

Eagle 5 docks the latest module addition to Minmus Base Alpha:

mQJc5Tj.png

Eagle 5 lifts off after taking on some fuel and then unhooking from the Mission Pod, which becomes the newest wing of the base.

Ox4YOuy.png

The base as it stands now. The large rover in the far distant part of the shot can hook up to the base modules and tug them into place for alignment if the Eagle can't do so.

BaVZe4x.png

I have a question, kind of stupid but. Usually I build stations, NOT bases. HOWEVER, I want a station around mun and then a base on moon as well. So i need a vehicle to put together the stock empty fuel tanks, the white cylinder pieces.* I'm not sure how I can lift them and put them together as tubing, or piping. But I would like to. Can Someone help me with ideas/.craft files?

MildMicah, Look up Temstar's modular base guide. Nevermind on looking it up, here is a link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/48876-The-art-of-modular-base-building

dommcq, you can avoid that whitewash lighting by using he rectangular floodlights instead of the round spotlights. i find it produces much nicer, softer lighting. I then use the spotlights for longer area lighting ans usually for illuminating stuff at a bit of a distance.

Here's something that will blow your mind, take a look at my moon base.

All the way up on Minmus.

LxeKKME.jpg

Each piece has an attach point so it can be attached to a spider looking sky crane that hovers and lowers the tether using KAS, then once on the ground I switch to it's probe body and drive it to the base, adjust the height using TT-modular wheels, then dock.

Also I added KAS grapples because the base had a tendency to want to flip over when I docked new stuff, so after each piece docks, I fire the grapples into the Minmus surface and pull it taught, not too tight but I put a little bit of pressure on the line to keep it on the ground.

I put alot of effort into it, I wish I could only figure out what makes it so damn laggy and fix that. But it serves it's purpose, which is research base and Kethane refinery.

-Æ

Here's something that will blow your mind, take a look at my moon base.

Snip

-Æ

agentexeider, If you have any lighting source other than the sun itself it may slow your game. As it does mine. For some reason the way lighting works right now (as also shading) it casts light in odd ways. Very odd. So it causes some kind of terrain change almost. It's complicated and I don't really understand HOW it works. However, I would recommend NOT using lights near land as they just act as part buildup. Also, you have 4 very heavy texture models from the CO2 and O2 mod. Can't remember the name. But they are very texture saturated and are big files. I would recommend down sizing on those. but it's up to you. Also, KAS links load only on contact and are not permanent parts on save. Only the destination for the part like, ... a weight or cord. Then upon load, the cord, wire, pipe, what have you, is loaded based on where it was previously. it can be aggravating but that can slow your load time. Not to mention your vast amount of parts. Currently I am running on an i7 with a 635GT 2gig graphics card but it doesn't matter HOW good of an OS you have, or how good your software is because KSP runs on older versions of programs until recently, and the cache for memory is only allotted a certain amount of memory. So there is that too. I think it's something like 3.12 gigs. but I cant remember. Seeing as I have 8 gigs of Ram and my game lags with a Space station of 230 parts, down to about 25 fps, i could understand that happening with your base there. Not to mention the fact that my laptop never goes over 60% usage in game with KSP. It can be a drag, literally...

agentexeider, If you have any lighting source other than the sun itself it may slow your game. As it does mine. For some reason the way lighting works right now (as also shading) it casts light in odd ways. Very odd. So it causes some kind of terrain change almost. It's complicated and I don't really understand HOW it works. However, I would recommend NOT using lights near land as they just act as part buildup. Also, you have 4 very heavy texture models from the CO2 and O2 mod. Can't remember the name. But they are very texture saturated and are big files. I would recommend down sizing on those. but it's up to you. Also, KAS links load only on contact and are not permanent parts on save. Only the destination for the part like, ... a weight or cord. Then upon load, the cord, wire, pipe, what have you, is loaded based on where it was previously. it can be aggravating but that can slow your load time. Not to mention your vast amount of parts. Currently I am running on an i7 with a 635GT 2gig graphics card but it doesn't matter HOW good of an OS you have, or how good your software is because KSP runs on older versions of programs until recently, and the cache for memory is only allotted a certain amount of memory. So there is that too. I think it's something like 3.12 gigs. but I cant remember. Seeing as I have 8 gigs of Ram and my game lags with a Space station of 230 parts, down to about 25 fps, i could understand that happening with your base there. Not to mention the fact that my laptop never goes over 60% usage in game with KSP. It can be a drag, literally...

kerbal never uses more than 30% of my FX8350, and usually only like 2 gigs of ram.... if it was GPU power, i'd be set with my 7970.... but, in any case, check out the active memory management mod. helped me a ton. my laoad times are still like 1-2 minutes, but the in-game performance is alot better

kerbal never uses more than 30% of my FX8350, and usually only like 2 gigs of ram.... if it was GPU power, i'd be set with my 7970.... but, in any case, check out the active memory management mod. helped me a ton. my laoad times are still like 1-2 minutes, but the in-game performance is alot better

The thing is i have over 17 mods installed sooo... Yeah. It does take part with my ram usage a little bit haha.

Here's my Minmus Mining base.

It consists of 3 Docked modules.

The Habitat Mod in the middle with the Power Tower, A Fuel storage mod and a Mining Mod.

-IMGSNIP-

That mobile mining rig is cool. I can imagine it being a PITA to corner with that massive fuel tank - is it?

hmm, never thought about all of that, I will look into it. But despite that, what do you think of the base??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.