Mun landing..... urgh

QuantumMods

Every time I try to land on the Mun with MechJeb It crashes into the surface of the mun.

I have tried this many times of a period of weeks. probably totalling 40+ trys.

Can somebody get me a 0.19 mun lander craft file? (not 19.1)

Or even a good tutorial.

I've had issues with "land at target" in old MechJeb but v2 works for me every time, unless I don't have enough thrust to slow down.

Try disengaging at a safe altitude and land it yourself.

Yep I learnt how by watching Scott

Yeah, not to beat a dead horse TOO much, but try doing it without MechJeb. Watching a few landing tutorials on YouTube helps quite a bit, if you're not the kind of person who grew up absorbing details of the space program. What made the difference for me was the Flight Engineer mod; it provides the more detailed information of MechJeb, but without any kind of autopilot to rely on. Just having separate readouts for horizontal and vertical velocity made landings much, much easier, since it allows you to kill all horizontal drift in the final stage of the descent without having to wait for the navball to shift to Surface mode.

But honestly, a Mun landing just should not be causing you severe problems. It's not a high-gravity world (removing your margin for error and requiring a lot of fuel to brake), it's not a ridiculously low-gravity moon like Gilly, there's no atmosphere to tumble you, the terrain isn't horribly uneven, and it's not spinning too fast to make precision landings difficult. It's a good place to learn the basics of manual landings, which'll make things far easier for you once you graduate to the more difficult bodies. (Try landing on Laythe with a non-aerodynamic brick some time.) I just landed a horribly ungainly mobile drilling rig on Mun (~110 tons), and THAT was a difficult descent due to the awkward mass distribution, but a simple capsule should not be causing you that many headaches.

Just having separate readouts for horizontal and vertical velocity made landings much, much easier, since it allows you to kill all horizontal drift in the final stage of the descent without having to wait for the navball to shift to Surface mode.

Just fyi, you can click on your speed readout above the navball to manually toggle between surface and orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.